Agusta Westland AW159-(News and Discussions)

Should India buy the AW-159 Helicopter?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
In this Thread we shall discuss all about the AW-159 helicopter and all its info about all its Derivatives. All info about AW-159 should be Posted in This Thread. Info material like Videos, pictures etc are Welcome here. Kindly Reframe from Off-top Posts.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Some more Pictures of The AW-159 Helicopter.
n0prlyew6a351.jpg
614881.jpg
soldiers-from-6-aac-ready-to-hook-up-an-under-slung-load-to-a-wildcat_source-army.jpg
Wildcat-HMA2-009.jpg
664348.jpg

Super Flanker

Country flag
Some more videos and content on AW-159 helicopter

Super Flanker

Country flag
The AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat is a military helicopter of British origin.
In its Early Program Days ,The helicopter was previously called the Future Lynx and Lynx Wildcat.
It's basically a newer model or you could say a Successor to the previous Super Lynx Helicopter ,or more Precisely a further Development of The super Lynx Helicopter.
664348.jpg

This is the reason why when you compare Images of the Two helicopters side by side ,they will look strikingly similar to one another.
IMG_20211210_073931.png

Lynx Helicopter (Left)
AW-159 helicopter (Right)
As of today, this Helicopter is Operated by Only 3 countries which are Phillipines, South Korea and obviously Britain Itself. Phillipines and South Korea use AW-159 helicopters in Their Navies with Phillipine Navy and Republic of Korea Navy Operating 2 and 8 such Helicopters Respectively.
wildcat-helicopter-1.jpg

Links for more Information:

Super Flanker

Country flag
To be honest, This Helicopter seems to be a decent Option for The Indian Navy in my opinion. It is one of the Best Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) helicopter in the world and it is a cheaper option to The MH-60 we are buying. What do you Think? I say it's a great choice in my opinion.
body_dsa2018_Focus_Aw159_1_720.jpg

Covfefe

Country flag
To be honest, This Helicopter seems to be a decent Option for The Indian Navy in my opinion. It is one of the Best Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) helicopter in the world and it is a cheaper option to The MH-60 we are buying. What do you Think? I say it's a great choice in my opinion.
View attachment 124253
We're already getting MH60 from the US and have Ka31 for SAR roles. No point in making a zoo out of our inventory with limited budget, however the platform is awesome

Super Flanker

Country flag
We're already getting MH60 from the US and have Ka31 for SAR roles. No point in making a zoo out of our inventory with limited budget, however the platform is awesome
Yeah. I agree with you. But I just Expressed my Personal Suggestion on this and Nothing else. Nonetheless speaking, AW-159 is a pretty Decent platform in my opinion with Advanced sensors, and other onboard Equipment on it. Its one of The Best ASW helicopter in the world. Not as good as the MH-60 but Definitely one of Best after it !

Sir pe tapla

Country flag
View attachment 124253
Ugly helicopter. 🤮

Super Flanker

Country flag
Ugly helicopter. 🤮
How is it ugly to you? How is that so? Is it really ugly to you? Is that what you think about it? Well let me tell you, I have a Very Different View about This Helicopter from my Perspective. It's a very nice looking helicopter from my personal point of view to say the Least. It's one of the Best Anti Submarine Warfare Helicopters which you can get Available in Today's market. This helicopter is one of my top 10 favourite Helicopters of all time. well Ofcourse you may have a Different Opinion about it and so do I Mate. Good day!
664348.jpg

Super Flanker

Country flag
@Covfefe dude I have a Request to you. Hope you don't mind man. But can you find the Following things for me?
1)Cost of MH-60 Helicopter(Flyaway Cost for Export Customers)
2)Cost of Augusta Westland AW159 Helicopter
(Flyaway Cost for Export Customers)
That's all I have to ask you dude. Just don't mind. Just find me the cost of Both the Helicopters and
Tell me.

Covfefe

Country flag
@Covfefe dude I have a Request to you. Hope you don't mind man. But can you find the Following things for me?
1)Cost of MH-60 Helicopter(Flyaway Cost for Export Customers)
2)Cost of Augusta Westland AW159 Helicopter
(Flyaway Cost for Export Customers)
That's all I have to ask you dude. Just don't mind. Just find me the cost of Both the Helicopters and
Tell me.
Don't have the data. Media reports suggest 38 million USD for MH60s, expecting AW159 to be in the same range. Actual price depends on the exact contract- numbers, weapon system requirements, training, and other fixed assets. Hard to assess like that
Maybe experts have some numbers @fire starter @Lonewarrior @Okabe Rintarou

Super Flanker

Country flag
Don't have the data. Media reports suggest 38 million USD for MH60s, expecting AW159 to be in the same range. Actual price depends on the exact contract- numbers, weapon system requirements, training, and other fixed assets. Hard to assess like that
Maybe experts have some numbers @fire starter @Lonewarrior @Okabe Rintarou
Thanks for the Reply man dude. I appreciate it a lot. I feel like AW-159 is a Bit cheaper than the MH-60 Helicopter, That is Just an Assumption that I am Making here. I too am Not sure about the True Cost of MH-60 Helicopter Myself. According to a Source ,We had Purchased 24 MH-60 Helicopters from The United States of America for an Estimated 2.4 Billion dollars. This makes the Unit cost of Each helicopter About 100 million Dollars Each.
I guess the AW-159 will be a bit cheaper than the MH-60 ,I am Making a Guess of around 85-90 million Dollars here. But the Price Suggested By This Source sounds Bogus! There are Many sources on the Net which are claiming Different Prices of This 24 MH-60 Helicopter deal. Some say 900 million Dollars,some say 2.4-2.6 Billion dollars so I too don't know myself. Thank you though for your reply. Have a good day

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles