Afghanistan request BCCI to provide home ground in India

Srinivas_K

Country flag

New Delhi: Indian may soon host Afghanistan's home matches. According to reports, the president of strife-torn country Ashraf Ghani, who will visit India next week, is likely to discuss the possibility of India helping the Associate team in hosting matches.

Afghanistan play their home matches at the Sharjah Cricket Ground in the United Arab Emirates. Despite fighting for survival on multiple front, the Afghanistan cricket team performed exceedingly well in the recently concluded 2015 Cricket World Cup, earning widespread accolades.

"It will really help our players if India were to reserve a home ground for us. Our players are good; they need exposure and facilities like camps. If the younger ones get to play in India, they can get noticed and picked for IPL [Indian Premier League] teams. Besides, we are also hopeful that the BCCI [Board of Control for Cricket in India] will help us with technical assistance and its facilities which are of international standards," a leading newspaper quoted Afghan cricket team manager Basheer Stanekzai.

In 2013, the Afghanistan Cricket Board made a similar request to provide a home ground in India for the team.

Afghanistan request BCCI to provide home ground in India | Zee News

SANITY

New Delhi: Indian may soon host Afghanistan's home matches. According to reports, the president of strife-torn country Ashraf Ghani, who will visit India next week, is likely to discuss the possibility of India helping the Associate team in hosting matches.

Afghanistan play their home matches at the Sharjah Cricket Ground in the United Arab Emirates. Despite fighting for survival on multiple front, the Afghanistan cricket team performed exceedingly well in the recently concluded 2015 Cricket World Cup, earning widespread accolades.

"It will really help our players if India were to reserve a home ground for us. Our players are good; they need exposure and facilities like camps. If the younger ones get to play in India, they can get noticed and picked for IPL [Indian Premier League] teams. Besides, we are also hopeful that the BCCI [Board of Control for Cricket in India] will help us with technical assistance and its facilities which are of international standards," a leading newspaper quoted Afghan cricket team manager Basheer Stanekzai.

In 2013, the Afghanistan Cricket Board made a similar request to provide a home ground in India for the team.

Afghanistan request BCCI to provide home ground in India | Zee News
Has BCCI given any response? We can help an associate team, right? Or would it cause revenue loss to BCCI?

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Has BCCI given any response? We can help an associate team, right? Or would it cause revenue loss to BCCI?
I think there is no question of revenue loss, we will gain good will in Afghanistan, IPL will gain popularity in that country as well.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
This is a no brainer
Just say YES.

SANITY

I think there is no question of revenue loss, we will gain good will in Afghanistan, IPL will gain popularity in that country as well.
That is my thought too but the article says a request was made in 2013 and I am guessing that nothing happened. I hope they do not take too much time.

salute

@Rowdy @SANITY

its very clever actually,afgani players will get safe ground for couching and practice,indian visa or maybe citizenship,

celebrity statues in india,

ipl contracts,

advertise contracts,

publicity in india and thus around the world,

promotion of their cricket team and players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
its very clever actually,afgani players will get safe ground for couching and practice,indian visa or maybe citizenship,

ipl contracts,

advertise contracts,

Let them, India will gain Afghan audience, win - win situation !

salute

Let them, India will gain Afghan audience, win - win situation !
afghani audience ??? whats the possible benefit of that ??? what revenue can india get from poor afahani???

whats win-win in that,

india already have afghani audience. :laugh:

Last edited:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
@Rowdy @SANITY

ipl contracts,

advertise contracts,

And we should also bargain for something in return. :) e.g access further north to our Iran linkage infrastructure . Ek haath dena , ek haath lena

salute

And we should also bargain for something in return. :) e.g access further north to our Iran linkage infrastructure . Ek haath dena , ek haath lena
are they mad for cricket that much ??? :laugh:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
afghani audience ??? whats the possible benefit of that ??? what revenue can india get from poor afahani???

whats win-win in that,

india already have afghani audience. :laugh:

There is a difference between watching Afghans playing IPL and IPL without Afghans.

GUNS-N- ROSES

so are we comparing a petty issue of earmarking a stadium with an issue of strategic importance? afghans are not fools btw.

we need to help our afghan brethren. we need to utilise this opportunity to make further inroads into the hearts of afghans.

salute

There is a difference between watching Afghans playing IPL and IPL without Afghans.
not for india,

india or ipl is not depended on afghani ,

do you watch fifa matches???,

no indians there.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
They should be given a home ground and BCCI be damned.

The Govt is as it is giving many assistance to Afghanistan. This could be just another one of them.

anupamsurey

Country flag
see BCCI is not Govt of India, if BCCI does something it is purely for monetary purpose. i don't think that they will give some soft considerations for some third world country, unless govt of India interferes and convinces BCCI (but the good news is that this govt unlike the previous govt can help afagnis).

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
so are we comparing a petty issue of earmarking a stadium with an issue of strategic importance? afghans are not fools btw.

we need to help our afghan brethren. we need to utilise this opportunity to make further inroads into the hearts of afghans.
I just wrote that from the top of my head.
There are no free lunches.

anupamsurey

Country flag
but i must say Afghanistanis in India do not enjoy a better reputation as friendly people. esp, the afgan students are troublemakers as far as i know it.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
see BCCI is not Govt of India, if BCCI does something it is purely for monetary purpose. i don't think that they will give some soft considerations for some third world country, unless govt of India interferes and convinces BCCI (but the good news is that this govt unlike the previous govt can help afagnis).
BCCI is such a mess that a wee bit of arm twisting and they will buckle.

Tax the BCCI hard on issues that cannot be passed onto the watching public and they will realise which side of the bread is buttered.

anupamsurey

Country flag
@Ray sir, but sir the previous govt. (which was committed for welfare of Afgan) didnt showed much of Interest In this matter, what is your opinion about it ?.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles