Afghan parliament and Taliban are no different

Sailor

You are looking at a photo of a very brave woman. A lot braver than most men that she is supposed to be inferior to.

Malalai Joya
who was born April 25, 1978 is an Afghan politician who has been called "the bravest woman in Afghanistan. I believe her to be the bravest woman in the world.
As an elected member of the Parliament from Farah province, she has publicly denounced the presence of what she considers warlords and war criminals in the parliament.
To survive on a day to day basis, she is moved from house to house, rarely staying two nights in the same place and managing to stay just one step ahead of the religious fanatics who want to murder her. Goons armed with automatic rifles who spill out of vans to search suspect houses.
She has six loyal bodyguards armed with AK-47s and she wears a burqa at all times.
There will never come a time when this brave lady is safe in her own country. I fear that her days are numbered.
The accompanying photo was taken during her visit to Australia in 2007.
May God protect you Malalai Joya.

Why are we in Afghanistan risking the lives of our soldiers if the Afghan parliament is no different to the Taliban? If the Taliban are defeated and the West leaves, I believe that there will be no change in their attitude to their women.

rock45

Founding Member/ RIP our friend
Brave

I agree one very brave woman and sadly her days are numbered if she gets enough following.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Did she actually say that the 'Afghan parliament and Taliban are no different'?

Why are we in Afghanistan risking the lives of our soldiers if the Afghan parliament is no different to the Taliban? If the Taliban are defeated and the West leaves, I believe that there will be no change in their attitude to their women.

There is a big difference, read up on the period of Taliban rule and you will soon see it.
Also the attitude to women is changing, girls are going to school now and have been for some time. Women have good jobs (Malalai Joya is evident of that) and generally better prospects. And the reaction to the Taliban using violence to try and stop them from getting this has mostly been ignoring it.

As for why we are fighting, put very simply we are primarily fighting to stop the Taliban getting control of the country again. We must not allow another terrorist safe haven on the scale of Afghanistan.
It is a worthy mission.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
@ Sailor:

I request more information how the New Afgan Govt. is not different from the Taliban regime?

Sailor

@ Sailor:

I request more information how the New Afghan Govt. is not different from the Taliban regime?
Just one that stands out are reports we are reading here in Australia about announcements in regard to the allowable treatment of wives. The President himself publicly gave approval for wives to be raped only last week.

This has caused outrage in Australia and Canada with calls about why we are even there.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/03/31/karzai-rape/

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles