AEROINDIA 2019

Enquirer

what's happening at UAV front guyz? Not much reporting as far as Rustom/Tapas UAV's are concerned.

@Enquirer where did you get those pics of Tapas UAV's as I haven't found them anywhere else?
Can you put some light what's there present status or any other update?
HAHA.

I scoured it from a Russian site that was covering AeroIndia2019.

I am waiting to see if some of the seminar they conduct becomes public (they normally do in due time). The respective project directors gives out status/future-plans.

As of last year, it was said that the current design was only to test out the data-links & avionics. The final design was supposed to have rear-pusher-propeller! But then the Director who was pushing for the design change got transferred. So, it's not clear if DRDO will push the current design into production or will redesign.

The fact that they fitted it with new indigenous diesel engines seems to suggest that they'll stick with the current config. Even though the design is aerodynamically inefficient, they're gonna brute force it with more power! So, whatever advantages that a high-efficiency diesel-IC engine will provide will probably be lost due to the increased drag! Not sure what the final endurance measure is!

Enquirer

So, basically 2022............
WTF??
Isn't it normal for a company to have the aircraft ready&tested before a customer places an order?
HAL is saying they'll take 3 years AFTER the customer pays them, to do the first TEST FLIGHT??
:) :) :)

Enquirer

.........................................................................................................................................
That doesn't make any sense.
Final test with a new engine?? Of course, it needs to go through at least half a dozen more tests!

torque456

...........................................................................................................
This is very very worrying, If its true. I read somewhere else that close coupled canards aren't a new idea on lca though.

Enquirer

Also absence of IRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IRST will be there IMO , does not make sense otherwise.
IMO it should be - especially as its designated for air-defense role.
But the image doesn't show an IRST (and list of changes from Mk1 doesn't mention it either)

..............................................................................................
So, IRST has been dropped to improve visibility????
But Mig29Ks have IRST!!
Can't understand what IAF/ADA is thinking!

proud_indian

Country flag
But Mig29Ks have IRST!!
It doesn't seem to be a valid reason to drop IRST altogether. I mean they could have changed its position or maybe come out with a compromisable solution.

Enquirer

WTF??
Isn't it normal for a company to have the aircraft ready&tested before a customer places an order?
HAL is saying they'll take 3 years AFTER the customer pays them, to do the first TEST FLIGHT??
:) :) :)
Essentially HAL hasn't done piddly squat of work on Mk1A since it itself suggested the configuration FOUR years ago!!!
One can understand if they were waiting for AESA radar etc to arrive, but one would have expected them to have completed the internal redesign (moving LRUs) and actually demo'd it on an LSP by now!!

Also, the much touted "landing gear redesign to reduce weight" is probably not happening!

porky_kicker

Country flag
But Mig29Ks have IRST!!
Well don't know what to say

Irst should not be a issue wrt visibility if they make it as flush as possible with the fuselage .

It doesn't make sense also because the cockpit section on which the HUD sits will be raised as usual extending beyond the front fuselage ( vertically ) , the irst if present will sit lower than than that, given that the front fuselage section is kind of conical , tapering / sloping downwards.

So how is irst if present going to effect visibility ?

See the picture of naval LCA mk2 and judge for yourself.

Dz8rDJRX0AEvpHQ.jpeg

I have learnt not to trust indian journalists over the years .

So let's wait and see

Enquirer

Well don't know what to say

Irst should not be a issue wrt visibility if they make it as flush as possible with the fuselage .

It doesn't make sense also because the cockpit section on which the HUD sits will be raised as usual extending beyond the front fuselage ( vertically ) , the irst if present will sit lower than than that, given that the front fuselage section is kind of conical , tapering / sloping downwards.

So how is irst if present going to effect visibility ?

See the picture of naval LCA mk2 and judge for yourself.

View attachment 32360

I have learnt not to trust indian journalists over the years .

So let's wait and see
I not saying it affects visibility.....I am only asking if that could be the reason why they dropped it.
F18's carry a podded IRST under the nose

Articles