ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

omaebakabaka

Infra affects the common man=votes. National security doesn’t gain a single votes it can only lose them if you screw up like 26/11.

Indian public isn’t paying attention, they don’t k ow what an ALH is or the games they played against Arjun. Let’s also be real- the IAF pegging the project to go back to LCA nomenclature after they used MWF for a while means most won’t even see the significance in the first flight of the MK.2. It’ll be seen as just another Tejas, IAF’s goal accomplished.

PMO isn’t giving much attention to MoD because it just isn’t a priority of this govt (backed up by the decline in defence spending as a % of GDP under their term)
It will atleast create some momentum in thousands of families working in defence industry to vote for Modiji and also spread word but that may be a stretch and most true Indian patriots do care but they will vote for Modiji anyway.

NutCracker

Country flag
Infra affects the common man=votes. National security doesn’t gain a single votes it can only lose them if you screw up like 26/11.

Indian public isn’t paying attention, they don’t k ow what an ALH is or the games they played against Arjun. Let’s also be real- the IAF pegging the project to go back to LCA nomenclature after they used MWF for a while means most won’t even see the significance in the first flight of the MK.2. It’ll be seen as just another Tejas, IAF’s goal accomplished.

PMO isn’t giving much attention to MoD because it just isn’t a priority of this govt (backed up by the decline in defence spending as a % of GDP under their term)
LCH might've missed hype train in news channels but I highly believe first flight of MK2 will be broadcasted for one full day and discussed for one full week.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
LCH might've missed hype train in news channels but I highly believe first flight of MK2 will be broadcasted for one full day and discussed for one full week.
How much you bet lol?
Indian channels won't even turn an eye except a line or two in breaking about its first flight.

Indian journalists are most incompetent and clueless section of Indians when comes to national issues.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
true we will most likely see more of modiji and less of tejas mk2
We won't see either of two exceeding 30 seconds on any channel.
Military technology and its importance is last thing Indian media knows and cares about. Even a routine political mayhem will have better coverage than AMCA across national media.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Since when does anyone but us nerds care about these things?

people might pay attention to balakot but could 99.999% tell you which aircraft was used? Do you think they even care?

I think the days of wall to wall coverage are over for these kind of projects

and I can’t get over the fact that the IAF has forced ADA to stick to LCA nomenclature, that pretty ensures few will care

Vamsi

Country flag
They are quoting from the exact same RFP from HAL (for canard bearings) from which I had posted the possible production schedule as outlined by HAL. What they couldn't figure out is the number per year is 24 and final year is 12 for a total of 108 fighters for 6 squadrons.
I know that you are ones who first posted about it here, but I forgot to mention you when I posted it here

singhboy98

Country flag
Since when does anyone but us nerds care about these things?

people might pay attention to balakot but could 99.999% tell you which aircraft was used? Do you think they even care?

I think the days of wall to wall coverage are over for these kind of projects

and I can’t get over the fact that the IAF has forced ADA to stick to LCA nomenclature, that pretty ensures few will care
You probably don't live in India and it shows. Indians at the grassroot level love to revel in the glory of Indian made military products. The INS Vikrant commissioning was a big deal in India (the extensive coverage by Hindi and other vernacular channels probably helped). PM Modi is a master salesman. Just wait and see how he sells the Mk-2 as a UFO (made possible because of his benevolence) to the rural populace in the 2024 elections.

jai jaganath

Country flag
You probably don't live in India and it shows. Indians at the grassroot level love to revel in the glory of Indian made military products. The INS Vikrant commissioning was a big deal in India (the extensive coverage by Hindi and other vernacular channels probably helped). PM Modi is a master salesman. Just wait and see how he sells the Mk-2 as a UFO (made possible because of his benevolence) to the rural populace in the 2024 elections.
Aren't u glorifying mudiji lot
And how is he master salesman

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Call me dumb or whatever, but I realized this just today:

Tejas Mk2 has the same payload capacity as AMCA, F-35B, KF-21, Mirage, Hornet and MiG-35
And more than J-10C.

I mean I knew about Mirage, but the rest? WTF is wrong with me?

EDIT: Holy Hell! Su-27 has LESS payload capacity than Tejas Mk1. Not Mk2, Mk1.

Last edited:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
This is misleading. Su-27/30s can carry a Tejas Mk1 under it. The thing is, Su-27s are made for A2A roles, and hence its payload is limited to A2A missiles (hence such a low quoted number).
I am not talking about Su-30, rather Su-27. And Su-27 does have a multimode radar, so its not as if it can't carry A2G munitions like bombs etc.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
I am not talking about Su-30, rather Su-27. And Su-27 does have a multimode radar, so its not as if it can't carry A2G munitions like bombs etc.
Yes, I understand, I was pointing out the fact that it is not the incapability of Su-27 to carry more weight, it is just not tested/certified for it. Modern multi-role fighters are made to carry a large amount of A2G payload hence they are trialed and certified for more weight on their hardpoints.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Call me dumb or whatever, but I realized this just today:

Tejas Mk2 has the same payload capacity as AMCA, F-35B, KF-21, Mirage, Hornet and MiG-35
And more than J-10C.
Tejas MK-2 is said to have a maximum payload capacity of 6.5 tons (meaning 6500 kg) on the other hand F-35B has a maximum payload capacity of 6800 kgs so Tejas Mk-2 doesn't have the same payload capacity as F-35B, infact as proven the F-35B can carry 300kgs of payload more than Tejas MK-2's "touted" maximum capacity. Now coming to comparison with "Hornet" which Hornet are you talking about here? The classic F-18 hornet or the newer F-18 Super Hornet, if we talk about the SH-18 then F/A-18 SH is said to be able to carry approximately 17,750 pounds (8,032 kg) of external load on eleven stations which makes its payload capacity more than that of Tejas Mk-2. Now I am not sure about F-18 Hornet but according to sources it can carry around 6200 kgs of payload so Tejas MK-2 can infact carry more than the F-18 Hornet but less than F-18 Super Hornet.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
EDIT: Holy Hell! Su-27 has LESS payload capacity than Tejas Mk1. Not Mk2, Mk1.
This is actually totally wrong. Tejas MK-1, first of all has a maximum payload capacity of between 4000 to 4500 kg (one source if I recall even said 5300kg but even with that it cannot carry more than SU-27), on the other hand SU-27 can carry 6000 kg of payload so SU-27 can carry more than Tejas MK-1.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Su-27 is the base design for Su30.... So they are very much comparable.
Su-27 is not the Su-30 though. So like @mist_consecutive said, they aren't certified to fly the payload of Su-30. What I mean is a country like, say, Indonesia, can't really carry more than a Tejas Mk1 on its Su-27. This is a bit befuddling as even I used to think of the Su-27 as a slightly nerfed Su-30, but what its certified for is much less.

This is actually totally wrong. Tejas MK-1, first of all has a maximum payload capacity of between 4000 to 4500 kg (one source if I recall even said 5300kg but even with that it cannot carry more than SU-27), on the other hand SU-27 can carry 6000 kg of payload so SU-27 can carry more than Tejas MK-1.
Su-27 can carry around 4.5 tons as per wiki. Ofc its wiki, but it was citing Sukhoi website as sauce.

Tejas MK-2 is said to have a maximum payload capacity of 6.5 tons (meaning 6500 kg) on the other hand F-35B has a maximum payload capacity of 6800 kgs so Tejas Mk-2 doesn't have the same payload capacity as F-35B, infact as proven the F-35B can carry 300kgs of payload more than Tejas MK-2's "touted" maximum capacity. Now coming to comparison with "Hornet" which Hornet are you talking about here? The classic F-18 hornet or the newer F-18 Super Hornet, if we talk about the SH-18 then F/A-18 SH is said to be able to carry approximately 17,750 pounds (8,032 kg) of external load on eleven stations which makes its payload capacity more than that of Tejas Mk-2. Now I am not sure about F-18 Hornet but according to sources it can carry around 6200 kgs of payload so Tejas MK-2 can infact carry more than the F-18 Hornet but less than F-18 Super Hornet.
I meant that its almost the same, not strictly the same. If we go by that, even Mirage has slightly less than Tejas Mk2.
And ofc I mean Hornet when I say Hornet, not SuperHornet.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Su-27 is not the Su-30 though. So like @mist_consecutive said, they aren't certified to fly the payload of Su-30. What I mean is a country like, say, Indonesia, can't really carry more than a Tejas Mk1 on its Su-27. This is a bit befuddling as even I used to think of the Su-27 as a slightly nerfed Su-30, but what its certified for is much less.

Su-27 can carry around 4.5 tons as per wiki. Ofc its wiki, but it was citing Sukhoi website as sauce.

I meant that its almost the same, not strictly the same. If we go by that, even Mirage has slightly less than Tejas Mk2.
And ofc I mean Hornet when I say Hornet, not SuperHornet.
Su27 is basically the same in the exterior design as Su30. The materials are the same mostly. If Su30 can carry weights, Su27 can too.

Second Tejas mk1 till recently like 2 years back was certified to carry 3500kg only. After tests that value has been updated to 4000 kg. I guess it’s always the balance between weight, drag and range. Stress studies are continuously carried out and based on results after a few years if 4000kg can be increased.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles