ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
SOLVE THIS ONE FOR ME...

in HAL website, LCA mk1 max payload capacity is shown to be 5.3 tonnes...while on ADA website...it says that Tejas can carry 3.4 tonnes of 'external stores'....what does this mean really...also in PAC Kamra website it says max payload capacity of JF17 is 3400 lbs... need some clarity in these conflicting figures, especially because JF17 is FAAAR better than Rafale taaiyaaraa!
As per new specifications, Tejas will have 3970 external paylod. Maximum takeoff weight is increased to 14200 kg from 13500 kg. Empty weight increased to 7000 kg. In my opinion, the increase in weight is because of refueling probe and onboard oxygen generator inclusion. AESA is also havier than PESA. There are also talks of wings reinforcement.

In my opinion, small fuselage design forced ADA designers to increase wing area which neciciated wing reinforcement and increase in weight due to larger wing area which stretches more from fuselage area and hence needs strengthening. Moving SRAAM to wing tip for aerodynamic reasons might have necessitated wing reinforcement. The othe reason could be certification for jigher payload. Aerodynamic improement and weight reduction will be the difference between Tejas being a good plane and a very good plane.

Last edited:

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
Does anyone here have any idea about the position of internal jammers in Tejas Mk2?? I'm pretty sure they'll have jammers facing both the front and the back so something in my mind telling me that they'll have front facing jammers in the base of the canards or in the body of air intakes and the back facing jammers in the tail section just like Rafale, btw in older mk1 version they used to have parachutes in them before they add the air brakes. And another question is will it have Laser warning receivers??

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Easy... if you fully load all the pylons of the LCA to their max weight then it will be 5400kg total, but at full internal fuel of 2450kg the gross-weight goes above Tejas' MTOW & it cannot take off with that (needs to sacrifice internal fuel to try that).
The amount of payload on external pylons LCA can take off with is about 4ton (3.4ton is old IOC figure).
See.
1631767590280_word-image-23.png

This is not how the jet will actually ever be loaded. Centreline pylon has length constraints & heaviest is carries is a 677kg droptank (maybe CATS Hunter someday)... On the other hand the wing pylons were shown with Brahmos-NG dummys that should weight 1500kg.

arnab

Country flag
Easy... if you fully load all the pylons of the LCA to their max weight then it will be 5400kg total, but at full internal fuel of 2450kg that goes above Tejas' MTOW & it cannot take off with that (needs to sacrifice internal fuel to try that).
The amount of payload on external pylons LCA can take off with is about 4ton (3.4ton is old IOC figure).

3400lbs seems far to less to me, lol. That's like 1400 kg.

I KNOW....but thats what the official website and wiki page of JF17 says....and wiki is no friend of India

arnab

Country flag
Easy... if you fully load all the pylons of the LCA to their max weight then it will be 5400kg total, but at full internal fuel of 2450kg that goes above Tejas' MTOW & it cannot take off with that (needs to sacrifice internal fuel to try that).

3400lbs seems far to less to me, lol. That's like 1400 kg.
JF17 specs latest from wiki

Screenshot_20210916_111246.png

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
View attachment 110305
I believe some fool in PAC Kamra has made a typo cuz this brochure says 4000kg, god knows how true this is too😂

4000kg is same as Tejas 's 5400kg.. Max external store capacity.

But to be within MTOW at full internal fuel, the external has to be less than 1500kg

shiphone

Country flag
that's a 'typical' brochure from CATIC - a broker which we always make fun of ....lol

some other sheets here which r much newer... oh ,it also comes from CATIC....and PAC.

Last edited:

arnab

Country flag
See.View attachment 110293

This is not how the jet will actually ever be loaded. Centreline pylon has length constraints & heaviest is carries is a 677kg droptank (maybe CATS Hunter someday)... On the other hand the wing pylons were shown with Brahmos-NG dummys that should weight 1500kg.
i have a slightly different question...which is, how does HAL plan to manufacture the Mk2 Tejas? the assembly lines to produce the mk1A will be busy till 2028 atleast...then what is the source of HAL chief's confidence that we can start producing the MK2 from 2025-26 onwards? or is it typical HAL-style "uche log, uchi pasand,.... manikchand" type of claim?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
i have a slightly different question...which is, how does HAL plan to manufacture the Mk2 Tejas? the assembly lines to produce the mk1A will be busy till 2028 atleast...then what is the source of HAL chief's confidence that we can start producing the MK2 from 2025-26 onwards? or is it typical HAL-style "uche log, uchi pasand,.... manikchand" type of claim?
All that is not known very well... I don't that stuff is decided.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
HAL is going to merely act as the lead integrator, all the subsystems are to be manufactured by the private sector and then will be handed over to HAL for the final assembly.
Most likely HAL Nashik will be used for integrating the Tejas Mk2

arnab

Country flag
HAL is going to merely act as the lead integrator, all the subsystems are to be manufactured by the private sector and then will be handed over to HAL for the final assembly.
Most likely HAL Nashik will be used for integrating the Tejas Mk2
will one plant be able to manufacture/assemble 20 jets per year?

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
will one plant be able to manufacture/assemble 20 jets per year?
Nashik will be free by then of SU-30MKI order, if I’m not wrong they were capable of building/assembling them at a rate of 12 per year, considering the size of the huge SU-30MKI, more MWF airframes can be fit inside, so perhaps with a few modifications it can get close to 20 a year, with a large enough order.

LakshmanPST7

Country flag
HAL said that Aircraft will be ready-for-production by 2026... But actual Contract will need to be signed, which is not in HAL hands...

Anyways, Aircraft parts won't be on the assembly line for whole 3 years... Assembly of a jet will take only a few months...
So, if Tejas Mk2 Contract is signed in late 2026, the parts will be on the assembly line only by early 2029... After Contract is signed, they will start the process for procurement of long-lead items... Arrival of some items will itself take 1-2 years...

So, assuming last Mk1A jet rolls out by early 2029, it is possible for first Tejas Mk2 to roll out by early 2030...

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
HAL said that Aircraft will be ready-for-production by 2026... But actual Contract will need to be signed, which is not in HAL hands...

Anyways, Aircraft parts won't be on the assembly line for whole 3 years... Assembly of a jet will take only a few months...
So, if Tejas Mk2 Contract is signed in late 2026, the parts will be on the assembly line only by early 2029... After Contract is signed, they will start the process for procurement of long-lead items... Arrival of some items will itself take 1-2 years...

So, assuming last Mk1A jet rolls out by early 2029, it is possible for first Tejas Mk2 to roll out by early 2030...
What if contract is signed in 2024?

arnab

Country flag
What if contract is signed in 2024?
last i heard, the HAL chairman was referring to the actual production of the fighter starting from 2026 onwards...besides, if the fighter starts flying from 2023, and with an already mature production line for mk1A, with tenders already out for mk2 parts with pvt sector...AND the fact that most of the critical systems barring the engines are atcually indi9an by origin...the typical excuse of a 36 months delay seems wrong to me...!
since MRFA is a non-starter...if Mk2 performs at par with IAF expectations...they might just go for the contract at aero india 2023 or later just like they did with Tejas mk1 long before its IOC...and a givt riding on the bandwagon of Atmanirbharata...will be more than happy to ive a CCS nod, right before elections! just saying..its possible and probable! and a lot depends on how the external threat situation vis a vis, china, pak and afghanistan works out!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles