ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Covfefe

Country flag
i dont know...if they are willing to make such high tech stuff in india, that can also mean that we are closer than ever to get our own tech to make our own engines...the recent successes in making the engine parts wud suggest so...
We are nowhere closer to making Jet engines, AMCA or CATS or Brahmos NG. Every program requires a dedicated budget which the government has not sanctioned. Any work on Jet Engines would require billions of dollars, an approval routed thru CCS. The very fact that the Govt has reduced the defense budget as a percentage of total spending, makes it clear that there is no much appetite to incur such large CAPEX and R&D expenses. Smaller systems like UCAVs and UAVs can still be developed by DPSEs own funds but complex undertakings like Jet Engine or a Fifth Gen Fighter Jet Program require massive investments.

Being hopeful is good as long as we are mindful of the realities.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
We have a schedule for the roll out of the LCA mk2.
Hope HAL/ADE adhere to the timeliness.
From today's Hindu newspaper.

View attachment 109897
Metal cutting is already started I think. Win tunnel tests and flight control laws are done I guess.

Only thing that is left is build the prototype and integrate the LCA mark1A tech for testing purpose.

Tridev123

Country flag
Metal cutting is already started I think. Win tunnel tests and flight control laws are done I guess.

Only thing that is left is build the prototype and integrate the LCA mark1A tech for testing purpose.
The positive development is that the momentum lost temporarily due to Covid 19 is coming back. For all the hand wringing about HAL and ADA they are still the only agency who can deliver the LCA Mk1a and the LCA Mk2. We simply don't have an alternative. So wishing them all the best in sticking to deadlines and delivering.

Yes, maybe metal cutting has already started. They were mentioning about the critical design review being in progress . Only after that milestone is crossed can the metal cutting start.

There will be many common elements between the LCA Mk1a and the LCA mk2. But some new technologies also will be integrated into the LCA Mk2. Like the IRST, on board oxygen generation system etc. Development of these various systems will be going on in parallel.

The beauty of indigenous development is that the LCA Mk2 will in turn generate technologies which will be used on the AMCA.

Whatever the skeptics may say the LCA Mk2 is a very necessary step in the climb up to the futuristic AMCA. The development of the AMCA will probably not even be possible in the given time frame if we don't benefit by the realisation of the LCA mk2 and its associated technologies.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Guys, do watch the entire video. It'll clear a lot of misconceptions and biases
It is the other way around. Chinese should be hell of a lot more worried about Americans, since the Americans have exited both Afghanistan and Iraq. A lot more money will be put into the armed forces R & D in US than wasting it in useless ground operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. Moreover opportunity for Chinese to steal technology have been closed off, hence Chinese will be left behind. Result …… Chinese should be more worried about the Americans. Also the US has to prove that they are the only power, Chinese do not even close. Forget the Chinese paid propaganda machine.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Is there anything fundamentally wrong with that design other than looks?
No. Its cheapest, simplist, need no folding mechanism in the probe, consumes least space inside & we already built it on Jags...... That's exactly the reason reason why he's grumpy about this. Already 99% chance that'll be the one used. I've even see a diagram by ADA of (what we think) is the probe mechanism.

The article shown says that MWF payload is 6.5 tonnes compared to 3.5 tonnes for LCA.

That does not seem right to me. MWF weighs more, has rroughly 10% increase in power over LCA but MWF has roughly 80% increase in pay;oad?
Because you don't know what lift to drag ratio is. There's more factors than thrust involved.

And LCA payload is officially 4ton now.

Last edited:

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
No. Its cheapest, simplist, need no folding mechanism in the probe, consumes least space inside & we already built it on Jags...... That's exactly the reason reason why he's grumpy about this. Already 99% chance that'll be the one used. I've even see a diagram by ADA of (what we think) is the probe mechanism.

Because you don't know what lift to drag ratio is. There's more factors than thrust involved.

Is this probe fully manufactured in India? The present Tejas IFR Probe is made by Cobham right?

arnab

Country flag

SOLVE THIS ONE FOR ME...

in HAL website, LCA mk1 max payload capacity is shown to be 5.3 tonnes...while on ADA website...it says that Tejas can carry 3.4 tonnes of 'external stores'....what does this mean really...also in PAC Kamra website it says max payload capacity of JF17 is 3400 lbs... need some clarity in these conflicting figures, especially because JF17 is FAAAR better than Rafale taaiyaaraa!

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
SOLVE THIS ONE FOR ME...

in HAL website, LCA mk1 max payload capacity is shown to be 5.3 tonnes...while on ADA website...it says that Tejas can carry 3.4 tonnes of 'external stores'....what does this mean really...also in PAC Kamra website it says max payload capacity of JF17 is 3400 lbs... need some clarity in these conflicting figures, especially because JF17 is FAAAR better than Rafale taaiyaaraa!
Max payload includes internal fuel too.
External stores are weapons, pods and drop tanks.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
SOLVE THIS ONE FOR ME...

Easy... if you fully load all the pylons of the LCA to their max weight then it will be 5400kg total, but at full internal fuel of 2450kg that goes above Tejas' MTOW & it cannot take off with that (needs to sacrifice internal fuel to try that).
The amount of payload on external pylons LCA can take off with is about 4ton (3.4ton is old IOC figure).

3400lbs seems far to less to me, lol. That's like 1400 kg.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles