ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Ghost hale

Country flag
The Environmental Barrier Coating of CMC blades is similar to Thermal Barrier Coating applied in Ni Superalloys. Film cooling is over and above that. I remember reading that they are skipping film cooling in CMC blades (don't remember the reason why). So I was saying that the film cooling is missing, not the coating.

They might be used in XF9 engines for vanes or other stationary parts. They are also used in CFM-56 LEAP engines. But never before have they been used in turbines.

Maybe stationary components are able to handle 2000 degrees. In rotating components (turbines), creep resistance becomes more important. So same material that can withstand 2000 degrees as a turbine shroud, for example, will be rated at 1800 degrees as a turbine blade material.

GoI is content with GE engines for now and want to spend all money on JV for AMCA engines. Well, its not like GTRE is sitting idle either. But they are underfunded and out of time. They are also focusing on dry version of Kaveri for UCAV. Not sure if they are still trying to solve the reheat oscillation problem given their limited time, funding, facilities and manpower.

My bad. I meant 2035, not 2025.
I don't think there is any plan yet for the engine, but I would be delighted if they can get it done in time for AMCA Mk2 which has deadline of 2035.
Its to be in production by 2032 for AMCA block 2. Plans and initial requirement discussions are already done. Something concrete should come by next quarter.
RR even need to get it developed for its tempest program!
they desperately want it to rub it on FCAS program which is facing percent partnership issues!
thus to prove brexit was a right decision!
Tempest engine will be different and timeline for it is by 2040 production. But true RR needs funding and thats y I think it will work.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Its to be in production by 2032 for AMCA block 2. Plans and initial requirement discussions are already done. Something concrete should come by next quarter.

Tempest engine will be different and timeline for it is by 2040 production. But true RR needs funding and thats y I think it will work.
Why can't we develop a cmc blade if it's the future , well rr won't just be a fail safe , there are hell lot of things in engine than mere thrust , it should be light weight , maintenance friendlier , electricity generation should be high .

RR is working on tech to eliminate gearbox and generator for electricity production by combining it in engine itself , engine health monitoring system is another tech ,but we are good at that .

After everything ,we should go only for jv route as we don't just have to make a high thrust engine but it should be best in class and most weight and space efficient

Ghost hale

Country flag
Why can't we develop a cmc blade if it's the future , well rr won't just be a fail safe , there are hell lot of things in engine than mere thrust , it should be light weight , maintenance friendlier , electricity generation should be high .

RR is working on tech to eliminate gearbox and generator for electricity production by combining it in engine itself , engine health monitoring system is another tech ,but we are good at that .

After everything ,we should go only for jv route as we don't just have to make a high thrust engine but it should be best in class and most weight and space efficient
RR already working with CMC. If it will be used in planned indigenous engine is anybody's guess as of now.

RR being fail safe was meant that project is closed in a decade with developed engine. All the tech and experience of RR will be beneficial for sure.

I still think Kaveri with improved core with experienced gain from this can be helpful for 300+ engines required for Mk1 and MK1a as those won't be getting 110KN engine.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
RR already working with CMC. If it will be used in planned indigenous engine is anybody's guess as of now.

RR being fail safe was meant that project is closed in a decade with developed engine. All the tech and experience of RR will be beneficial for sure.

I still think Kaveri with improved core with experienced gain from this can be helpful for 300+ engines required for Mk1 and MK1a as those won't be getting 110KN engine.
Agree here without a doubt , but tell me when will they hit first overhaul , about 10 years later , if dry kaveri works fine , experience frim jv can be used in kaveri , sort out issues , money problem would be less ,hope they increase thrust to 90 kn If they ever go for kaveri , tehas deserve more power

Ghost hale

Country flag
Agree here without a doubt , but tell me when will they hit first overhaul , about 10 years later , if dry kaveri works fine , experience frim jv can be used in kaveri , sort out issues , money problem would be less ,hope they increase thrust to 90 kn If they ever go for kaveri , tehas deserve more power
Normal overhaul time varies. 6K flight hours is current claimed for F 404 but its noted at place that its better than that and even reaches 8K. Ideally it should be in 7-8 years.
Seems good. But if there is choice with +5KN thrust or better fuel efficiency, I would prefer latter.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Then you're not using the correct adjective 😅 "pinnacle of X industry" means something else entirely.

And yet it doesn't exist!.. Not even prototypes planned in foreseeable future... Hmm, ok.

Let's check again in 2030.
What do you mean it doesn't exist ? There is an engine and they have an upgrade plan if required or ordered they can deliver.

No one design millions of dollars engine without a firm order nor do they build it to boast because they don't have to act stupid like some members want them to.

P&W were foolish enough to fall in IAF order trap for Jaguar upgrade and wasted millions of dollars waited over a decade.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Read before replying.

115kN class... Target weight 1000-1200kg.
Our 110kN will be 1st if the F414 EPE continues to not exist, the nonexistent 105kN EJ upgrade similar too.
The EPE class has already been test fired and ordered by USN for their F18 upgrade. They are scheduled to be delivered by 2022-23.
Whether they have achieved their power ratio in these tests is still unknown. GE was talking about supplying Amca with 110kn engine if it's reliable enough. For us it would.help directly to mk2 instead of Mk1 with lower rates engines.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
There is an engine and they have an upgrade plan...
The EPE class has already been test fired..
Contradicting each other here. What do @Rajaraja Chola base that claim on?.. Please share the source 1st.

Because we too "have Kaveri", that's issue is what being contested here... EPE doesn't exist, until it actually exists. As I said, let's check again in 2025 if the miracle happens.

Last edited:

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Contradicting each other here. What do @Rajaraja Chola base that claim on?.. Please share the source 1st.

Because we too "have Kaveri", that's issue is what being contested here... EPE doesn't exist, until it actually exists. As I said, let's check again in 2025 if the miracle happens.

As usual a Google search would have helped. Epe engine contract was given in 2009. This project was supposed to be over in 2019. In GE page, it's officially labelled as F414-GE-400.
They have clearly mentioned it's a potential option for AMCA.
Moreover I pretty much remember that this engine was ground tested sometime last year end or this year end. Image was posted on twitter. I just don't remember the handle.

Attachments

Anandhu Krishna

India, UK agree on technology collaboration for combat aircraft

A 10-year roadmap unveiled at the summit for boosting overall India-UK ties mentioned broadening dialogue on "combat air collaboration to determine how the UK can support India's ambitions for their light combat air MK2 programme".

"Support"
India is the second largest job creator in UK. SII will be investing in the UK now. We will be getting nothing out of this.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles