ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Killbot

Country flag
Why should I point the obvious it's not broad but true.

First EPE isn't 130 kn class nor it's going to use an entire new core which basically means a new engine and no one is talking abt new engine other than F 414

It is upgrade of existing F-414 engine which is mentioned in all brochures of GE if you can simply Google and go through it or even care to read old posts in the forum itself.
But how would you bump the thrust up by a whole 10% without changing the core?

Ghost hale

Country flag

First EPE isn't 130 kn class nor it's going to use an entire new core which basically means a new engine and no one is talking abt new engine other than F 414

It is upgrade of existing F-414 engine which is mentioned in all brochures of GE if you can simply Google and go through it or even care to read old posts in the forum itself.
Opinion.

120-130 KN. 98KN + 20% improvement = 117KN.

Upgraded core with new Fan and some more improvements. Can't see that happening. Its still unproven platform. Tag any engine expert in forum. He can give better insights. I m not one and can't claim to be same.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

Dude they are bumping up the TET. Its going to have a new core with new materials. The biggest technological leap in EPE is replacement of Nickel Superalloys with Ceramic Matrix Composite blades. This is as massive a leap as the leap from Stainless Steel blades to Nickel Superalloy blades in mid-20th century.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
GE doesn't need us that much but RR does. Their business is dependent on Indian orders and if we had gone the right route will be able to make them bent and give us more.

F414 EPE should be procured once it is developed for super hornet program .

Other than that we need to pick a partner and start working on 110/120kn class engine which in future can be upgraded to 150+ for Sukhoi upgrade and what follows next.
110 KN is ok. If we want to put this engine into Tejas MK1, at the most 110 KN engine can do. If we try to make an engine which can be upgraded to 150 KN in future, its size have to big. It will not be suitable Mk1, Mk2 and AMCA. We therefore concentrate on 110 kn class engine. If possible , add TVC. We can produce them in big numbers and power our MK1, MK2, ORCA and AMCA. We can use them as Mirage engine replacement as well. 64 KN/ 110 KN will be a great engine.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Unpopular opinion but we need to decouple from US engines by the end of the decade. Simply because of unreliable geopolitical situation (sanctions) or unbearable rent seeking behaviour. If the GTRE+RR pair up happens and work begins on new engines for India, then 1 focus area should be to ensure that there is no American technology involved in the product. Both from R&D PoV (software, tooling, etc) as well as production PoV (Machine tools, materials, etc).

Can some enlightened member tell me what will be the T/W ratio of the Mk2 with a 120KN engine for A2A and multi role load outs? And compare them to the same for the Typhoon and Rafale?
T/W ratio (Half fuel)

Empty weight 7800 KG
Fuel (50%) 1700 kg
Other 200 KG
Maximum Thrust 120 KN
T/W ratio half fuel 1.23

T/W ratio 50% fuel and 4 air to air close combat missiles
Empty weight 7800 KG
Fuel (50%) 1700 kg
Other 200 KG
4 Close combat missiles 500 kg
T/W ratio 1.17

T/W ratio MTOW

MTOW 17500 Kg
Thrust 120 KG
T/W ratio =0.6857

Last edited:

Spitfire9

Country flag
USN isnt going to fund it.It was offered as an upgrade for super hornet but USN hasnt shown any interest till now.
One problem with using foreign engines is that India's choice is limited to what is being manufactured for use in foreign aircraft. Yes, India can fund alternative developments more suited to Indian requirements but the price is very high.

I think that India should make a stategic decision whether to enter the engine manufacturing game or not. Not like Kaveri. That was a very half-hearted attempt to create an engine on a shoestring, a badly managed unrealistic dream. At the moment a JV with RR looks possible where producing a needed engine (110kN) is not a dream but a reality.

I would say that India has reached a fork in the road. India can take one fork to buy foreign engines for the indefinite future or take the other to invest many billions of dollars to get into the engine business.

Let's see what India does.

Starlight

Country flag
And what makes you think after repeated and continuous sabotage by US in past every now and then , on every project of national interest .

Either we sell off our sovereignty to US and fall in their bucket like korea , still we won't get what's desired , rr is best bet , they worked on f136 engine ,one of the best engine ever , that too in collab with ge
Please read the statements made by me, I said the problem of shifting to another manufacturer is the only reason why I am focusing on GE. Your problem would be true if only it was. The Commonality with the super hornet gives me another reason for backing current partnerships.
During the 90s the procurement from US was not possible due to planned Pokhran tests. We now have bought AH-64s, C-130s, C-17s, Orions and soon Seahawks. What if we try dealing with the states, if there are problems like before, we change the vendor, but until then, I suggest we wait and learn from what it's like to buy equipment from the US. To evolve further is the best choice.

Last edited:

MirageBlue

Country flag
Don't cum on your keyboards.. You can't clean semen from those crevices. It'll stay forever.

View attachment 88287View attachment 88288View attachment 88290View attachment 88289
Just one quick mention- this IRST position will be representative of the first 2-3 Tejas Mk2 MWF prototypes..after that, if the IRDE IRST is ready and installed, it'll be on the port side rather than the starboard side as of now. The starboard side IRST is an Off-the-shelf model, most likely the Selex Skyward G, which is used on the Gripen E.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
this IRST position will be representative of the first 2-3 Tejas Mk2 MWF prototypes..after that, if the IRDE IRST is ready and installed, it'll be on the port side rather than the starboard side as of now.
Yeah I read someone say that on BRF too. How is that known?

Why won't the IRDE IRST remain in the same position?.. Why does it need to move back, due to change in the model?

Last edited:

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
Yeah I read someone say that on BRF too. How is that known?

Why won't the IRDE IRST remain in the same position?.. Why does it need to move back, due to change in the model?
this is explained in the ddr video on mk2.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles