ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

SARTHAK

Country flag
can somebody tell me about interferometry and passive targetting capabilities in a2a mode ,i want to know about it,how is it possible,limitations and all stuff

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
Lol, we should be (even if we want to be dependent) dependent on Europe rather than USA, M88 will be far better option.
m88 only has 75kn of thrust. and very small compared to ge414 and 404.

ej200 would have been best choice for tejas, it's far better non-afterburning thrust of 62kN and lower weight compared to ge414. although it has lesser reheat thrust.

Spitfire9

Country flag

ej200 would have been best choice for tejas, it's far better non-afterburning thrust of 62kN and lower weight compared to ge414. although it has lesser reheat thrust.
I cannot imagine how it would be possible to raise M88 thrust by ~50% to reach 110kN.

I recall that when EJ200 was accepted for Eurofighter there was a stipulation that it should be upgradeable by 20% or more but I imagine that it is expensive in standard form and would become much more expensive with a thrust boost to be used only by Indian aircraft.

SARTHAK

Country flag

m88 can go till 90kn without the modifications to engine core only by tweaking digital control computer ,m88 has secondary cooling channels for reduced ir signature

Trololo

Country flag
Don't take my word as final but I heard from someone involved in the Mk2 program that the initial Mk2 lot will have 98KN 414 engines and later lots can see EPE with 116KN since this will be a drop fit. Kaveri unlikely since that might not be a drop fit for the F414.
I agree but it seems the decision has already been made. Snecma-GTRE 110KN class engine might find its way to the MWF if its designed to be a drop fit from the ground up.

SARTHAK

Country flag
i agree because once we devlop kaveri we will need to devlop engines based on reduced ir signatures with secondary cooling channels and many other types of ir reduction measures,they r important because any 6th gen aircraft will hve them and india must alsp

Spitfire9

Country flag
I agree but it seems the decision has already been made. Snecma-GTRE 110KN class engine might find its way to the MWF if its designed to be a drop fit from the ground up.
How much capability would GTRE gain from the arrangement and at what price, I wonder.

Whatever, AMCA needs an engine and one that preferably is not subject to the developer being refused permission to supply . Where the possibility of future embargo is concerned, France is a better supplier than the US. Better than UK, too, since the UK does what it is told to do by the US. If India fell out with the US, I see France as being more likely to defy the US than UK.

What an opportunity missed, though, due to dithering indecision over Kaveri in the early 2010's. India could probably have had a small role in developing and a larger role in manufacturing an engine whose versions could have powered Mk1A, MWF, TEDBF and AMCA from the start.

Shekhar Singh

Country flag

M-88 is not a single engine but a family of engines that has been designed to operate from 7.5t to 11.5t. Proof of this is this article from 1995 where it was planned.

Ghost hale

Country flag
"plans are in pipeline to keep raising Indigenous content in the aircraft gradually and a major jump will come when engine swap will happen with a locally made 110kN thrust class engine, Indigenous content in the aircraft will be around 80% by mid of 2030 "
Does this make sense to replace engines in 7-8 years when it is such costly part. It doesn't seem like good planing.

Gerlat

Country flag
"plans are in pipeline to keep raising Indigenous content in the aircraft gradually and a major jump will come when engine swap will happen with a locally made 110kN thrust class engine, Indigenous content in the aircraft will be around 80% by mid of 2030 "
Does this make sense to replace engines in 7-8 years when it is such costly part. It doesn't seem like good planing.
I think, for new mk2 one comming out from production line, early produced ones gets in later stages.
''Local made'' means what - forien engine produced locally or indigenous one ?

Ghost hale

Country flag
I think, for new mk2 one comming out from production line, early produced ones gets in later stages.
indigenous one.

WarriorIndian

Country flag
The article says that the pre production models of the MK2 will have fixed refueling probe but the production models would have a retractable one. It doesn't make any sense, so how the hell are they going to validate it?

Gerlat

Country flag
The article says that the pre production models of the MK2 will have fixed refueling probe but the production models would have a retractable one. It doesn't make any sense, so how the hell are they going to validate it?
I'm not expert, consider the article, since no prototype, mk2 borrow some item's of mk1 to speed up process and fix those in a fast manner with the help of IAF support. First they use similar arrangements like mk1 with forien irst and once indigenous solution [irst] because combat ready, they arrange in such a way to have both irst and retractable one. [Irst will be moved left side of the nose cone].

WarriorIndian

Country flag
I'm not expert, consider the article, since no prototype, mk2 borrow some item's of mk1 to speed up process and fix those in a fast manner with the help of IAF support. First they use similar arrangements like mk1 with forien irst and once indigenous solution [irst] because combat ready, they arrange in such a way to have both irst and retractable one. [Irst will be moved left side of the nose cone].
Yeah but how would they get a certification for that without having one in the preproduction models?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles