ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

IndianHawk

Country flag
Not to forget there will be at-least 300kg additional load which is not weapons. So actual weapon load at full fuel is only 4800 kg.
At Current testing that is included in 4350 kg payload.
It was tested on an lsp which had 4.05 ton of external payload ( fuel tank+ weaponry ) and had 300 kg on instruments for testing. Hence total payload tested now is 4.35 ton. It is being further expanded but not much will come now .

tsunami

Country flag
At Current testing that is included in 4350 kg payload.
It was tested on an lsp which had 4.05 ton of external payload ( fuel tank+ weaponry ) and had 300 kg on instruments for testing. Hence total payload tested now is 4.35 ton. It is being further expanded but not much will come now .
I was talking about gripen ng.

Varun794

Country flag
I have a question which might be stupid but I'll ask it anyway.
If both Tejas Mk2 and AMCA are Medium Weight Fighters why aren't we focusing instead on just AMCA (because it's more future proof) and instead of ordering 10 squadrons of each the IAF should in future order 20 squadrons OF AMCA. Am I making sense or am I missing something?

Agraj

Country flag
If both Tejas Mk2 and AMCA are Medium Weight Fighters why aren't we focusing instead on just AMCA (because it's more future proof) and instead of ordering 10 squadrons of each the IAF should in future order 20 squadrons OF AMCA. Am I making sense or am I missing something?
I can try to answer the second part. Most 5th gen fighters currently in-service have a very high flying per hour cost. Also these fighters are almost double triple the cost of their 4.5 gen brothers. Countries like America can field 400-500 of these cos there economy can handle it.countries likeus can't,we can only manage about 8-10 squadron max that too with lots of ifs and buts.

Suhaan

Country flag
AMCA will be a stealth fighter and maintaining a large fleet of stealth jets is not feasible we do need a sound fleet of single engine jets too

Varun794

Country flag
AMCA will be a stealth fighter and maintaining a large fleet of stealth jets is not feasible we do need a sound fleet of single engine jets too
That makes sense.
So the basic differential factor is twin engine and single engine platform?

Varun794

Country flag
I can try to answer the second part. Most 5th gen fighters currently in-service have a very high flying per hour cost. Also these fighters are almost double triple the cost of their 4.5 gen brothers. Countries like America can field 400-500 of these cos there economy can handle it.countries likeus can't,we can only manage about 8-10 squadron max that too with lots of ifs and buts.
Fair enough, but wouldn't the cost be considerably lower if we have an industrial complex to depend on?
I do get your basic point just a counter question though lol

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Fair enough, but wouldn't the cost be considerably lower if we have an industrial complex to depend on?
I do get your basic point just a counter question though lol
When you go to school first you learn abcd then words like apple and then make sentences then paragraphs then essays and later articles.

That's what Tejas mk2 is for us. It's a progression we will be able to check out all the systems we have developed and integrate them. Improve on our production capability quality control etc.

AMCA is a fifth gen concept which will take time and money to fructify. Meanwhile airforce can't be left without a fighter jet till that time.

It's like not eating for a whole week so we can have rajma chawal on Sunday.

Also with new tech evolving the advantage stealth jets have may not last long either so being future proof isn't entirely true.

And the industrial complex will be made by developing and producing Tejas mk2 on which we will be able to depend on.

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
That makes sense.
So the basic differential factor is twin engine and single engine platform?
That in itself is a huge difference both in procurement and maintenances and operation. Single engine jets are far far cheaper than double engine.

But stealth is another problem all together. Stealthy jets are way too costly to procure and maintain. After every sortie their stealth coating needs repair , their aerodynamic performance is limited because of stealth measures , their flying cost per hour is much more than non stealth jets etc., Their sortie rate is much less than 4-4.5 gen jets.

So they will remain in limited numbers to breakdown enemy radar / Sam systems and snipe at enemy jets.

Once you get to bombing jobs you need external payload and then 4th gen jets are far better than 5th gen as rcs is thrown out of window with external payload and 4 -4.5 gen jets can carry far more ordinance and fly far more sorties.

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
That in itself is a huge difference both in procurement and maintenances and operation. Single engine jets are far far cheaper than double engine.

But stealth is another problem all together. Stealthy jets are way too costly to procure and maintain. After every sortie their stealth coating needs repair , their aerodynamic performance is limited because of stealth measures , their flying cost per hour is much more than non stealth jets etc., Their sortie rate is much less than 4-4.5 gen jets.

So they will remain in limited numbers to breakdown enemy radar / Sam systems and snipe at enemy jets.

Once you get to bombing jobs you need external payload and then 4th gen jets are far better than 5th gen as rcs is thrown out of window with external payload and 4 -4.5 gen jets can carry far more ordinance and fly far more sorties.
Well alien hawk what happened to RV 2, I remember it was just a speculation.

Illusive

Country flag
A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush, Tejas testbed is already there and testing, its progression is much faster and for an airforce whose squadron numbers are dwindling nothing is more important than fleet strength.

AMCA is not just MWF, its a new technology altogether which is going to take time to evolve from drawing board to prototypes to limited series production. Its far away.

Don't mix both up. 4.5 gen fighters are here to stay for a long time.

Mig 21 a 3rd gen fighter are still flying to this day with upgrades.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush, Tejas testbed is already there and testing, its progression is much faster and for an airforce whose squadron numbers are dwindling nothing is more important than fleet strength.

AMCA is not just MWF, its a new technology altogether which is going to take time to evolve from drawing board to prototypes to limited series production. Its far away.

Don't mix both up. 4.5 gen fighters are here to stay for a long time.

Mig 21 a 3rd gen fighter are still flying to this day with upgrades.
Yeah, 4 and 4.5 generation fighters will work atleast till 2070.

The Maverick

Country flag
MY FIRST POST so forgive

IT looks amazing
IT has the specs that we need
The airframe FBW compsite RCS will late 4th generation.
We will add learns from rafale for cockpit radar and ew suites jammers etc.
THE WEAPONS mix will be far greater than what we have today

ALL SAID AND DONE amazing replacememt for
MIRAGE2000
jaguar
Even MIG29

BUT ALAS way way too late

i HEAR we are having to go striaght to pro to types and are confident of no long lng delays as before
BUT THIS IS INDIA MY FRIENDS

I envisage no flight until 2024
And a 7year programme to IOC
3 MORE years to FOC

WE WILL LUCKY if we have 40 planes ie 2 sqds by 2032

BY then i suspect
PAF will be fielding
100 used mlu 52/60 falcons
200 thunders mostly block 3 & 4
40 FC31/35 ( this is my fear)

PLAAF
400 J10C /D
400 J11/15
200 older flankers
150 J20 block 1 & 2
100+ J31/35

unless we get our arses in gear with indengious development production etc we will left way behind

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
MY FIRST POST so forgive

IT looks amazing
IT has the specs that we need
The airframe FBW compsite RCS will late 4th generation.
We will add learns from rafale for cockpit radar and ew suites jammers etc.
THE WEAPONS mix will be far greater than what we have today

ALL SAID AND DONE amazing replacememt for
MIRAGE2000
jaguar
Even MIG29

BUT ALAS way way too late

i HEAR we are having to go striaght to pro to types and are confident of no long lng delays as before
BUT THIS IS INDIA MY FRIENDS

I envisage no flight until 2024
And a 7year programme to IOC
3 MORE years to FOC

WE WILL LUCKY if we have 40 planes ie 2 sqds by 2032

BY then i suspect
PAF will be fielding
100 used mlu 52/60 falcons
200 thunders mostly block 3 & 4
40 FC31/35 ( this is my fear)

PLAAF
400 J10C /D
400 J11/15
200 older flankers
150 J20 block 1 & 2
100+ J31/35

unless we get our arses in gear with indengious development production etc we will left way behind
Appreciate your concern but you need to understand that IAF-MOD-PMO nexus isnt interested in bringing the numbers up.They have blown shit tonne of money on all sorts of things but have no interest in increasing the combat potential.
To give you a rough idea,We have some 350-380 4th gen jets(they arent cutting edge,at best late 90s early 2000s tech)While pakis have 200 4th gen jets,cheenis have some 800-1000 4th gen jets(some of them really good ones,atleast on paper like the J-16,su-35) and can field 300-400 in western china plus they have a good tanker fleet too and good bomber fleet that can lob and fire cruise missiles from distance.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles