ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
All engines with similar technologies have almost same same T/W ratio. So weight shall be in proportion to thrust it produces. So not weight penalty. Same is true for fuel consumption as well. Why I advocate twine engine is because of two reason.
1. We can easily produce 30/35 kn engine compared to 60/70 KN engine.
2. We can comparatively easily make naval fighter out twine engine fighter.

Else , I am ok with s
i guess that will be clear once tendering will be complete.. hoping for desi co like samtel systems
HAL can provide that,remember they had a prototype of LAD during the aero India 2019,and they have a JV called HALBIT which also supplies displays to sport and HAWK TRAINER.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag

Aniruddha Mulay

Bhurki

Could someone knowledgable make a single post and tell what is the intended future for all of these different acronyms? Its got a lot fuzzy lately regarding ....... Mk1a, MWF, ORCA, TEDBF, AMCA......

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Could someone knowledgable make a single post and tell what is the intended future for all of these different acronyms? Its got a lot fuzzy lately regarding ....... Mk1a, MWF, ORCA, TEDBF, AMCA......
In my opinion, Mk1, Mk1A, AMCA has the future. TEDBF and ORCA HAS NO FUTURE.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
Mig-29 needs replacement at sometime in the future, doesn’t it? So there is a role for twin engines fighter jets.

AMCA can’t be doing extensive CAPs.

Bhurki

I meant more like, what are the timelines.. When are they meant to fly , what are the meant to replace etc?
Or is everybody just chanting these abbreviaions mindlessly?

Bhurki

Mig-29 needs replacement at sometime in the future, doesn’t it? So there is a role for twin engines fighter jets.

AMCA can’t be doing extensive CAPs.
Mig 29 will need to be replaced much after the Mig21 and jaguar..
Since no replacement has yet been confirned for the latter.. How can you be thinking so strongly about the former?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I meant more like, what are the timelines.. When are they meant to fly , what are the meant to replace etc?
Or is everybody just chanting these abbreviaions mindlessly?
Mk1 A by next year. Mk2 by 2022 end or 2023. AMCA by 2026. Induction in next 2 to 4 years.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
Mig 29 will need to be replaced much after the Mig21 and jaguar..
Since no replacement has yet been confirned for the latter.. How can you be thinking so strongly about the former?
LCA is the designated replacement for Mig-21, isn’t it?

Both for twin engined jaguar and mig-29 replacements, if they don’t start looking at design options now, how will they reach LSP by 2030.

And more over most are assuming a no military confrontation scenario in the next decade, if there is even one serious full scale military confrontation the current squadron numbers will drop by a considerable %.

So basically today is always a good time to start preparing for worst case scenario.

And let’s not forget, we are in a much better shape today than in 2014, interms from domestic component/armament design and manufacturing, except for engines.

Any new design initiative will be less time consuming than LCA, only thing required is political will to keep Dalals from meddling.

captscooby81

Country flag
MK1A: Single engine Replace Mig-21 by 2023-2024 deliveries starting
MWF : Single engine replacement for Mirage2000 by 2027
ORCA: Twin engine replacement for Mig29 and Jaguar by 2030-2032
TEDB : Twin engine Naval replacement for Mig29k by 2030-2032 to operate IAC1
AMCA : 5th Gen Multirole fighter for IAF by 2040

For all these 5 types the engine supplier is going to GE, That will be close to 800-1000 Engine deal

my layman brain is saying all these sudden prop-up of so many products shows americans are trying to grab the chunk of indian fighter jet engine deal and shut the doors for France forever and also for Desi Kaveri

Well all i can say is HAL is biting more than it can chew with these so many proposals and i seriously doubt govt will be able to fund them all and HAL /ADA will be able to deliver on their timeline promises seeing their past performances.

Last edited:

Bhurki

ORCA: Twin engine replacement for Mig29 and Jaguar by 2030-2032
Thats really far for replacing jaguar.
Also, i don't see how darin 3 would help.

Some excerpts-
- 'In addition, Bhadauria announced that six Jaguar squadrons would retire in the early 2020s, since it would be too costly to equip them with new engines needed to extend their service lives into the 2030s.

“We have had to drop the plan for re-engining the Jaguar because it has been delayed inordinately and the cost went too high,” said the IAF chief.'

- 'All the current IAF Jaguars are powered by Adour Mk811. DARIN III upgrade will cause additional weight problems due to addition of new avionics and radar, resulting in it becoming underpowered. Later IAF took decisions not to upgrade the engines due to budget problems.'

Last edited:

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
'In addition, Bhadauria announced that six Jaguar squadrons would retire in the early 2020s
All India has are 6 squadrons.. what's the point in upgrading to DARIN III if you retire them within a couple of years..? Only the unupgraded older squadrons would be retired in early 2020s .. I guess

Articles