- Aug 12, 2019
See the great circus that is Indian defence R&D- it is a break dance (because the system is broken) between MoD, DRDO & the users- the forces draw up star wars ASQRs and everyone in the service hierarchy gives themselves a pat on the back. 99% chance given the miserable funding and state of India's industry DRDO is going to fail- so they can continue imports & associated perks- life goes on as usual. If somehow in the impossible 1% chance they do deliver after many many many years then time to go back to the board & start drafting new requirements (Tejas Mk2, FMBT,...)!Dr Tessy Thomas claiming the Kaveri is good enough to fly right now aboard a Tejas is similar to what ADA officials speaking at Aero India 2021 claimed about the T/L of the LCA Mk-1 / Mk-1a / Mk-2 & those of the AMCA & TEDBF
MoD is highly stingy with funds and will release them only when it is satisfied it has caused enough delay to show who's the boss.
So in the end it is the scientists and industry that carry the weight of the project. With a pittance for funds, an unsupportive user & a country that missed the industrial manufacturing revolution- they take their own sweet time coming up with the solution.
For any long-term observer of the glacial pace of Indian defence R&D you have to appreciate that in this setup timelines will rarely be honoured (recent slew of new missiles is an exception)- but the general direction is consistent & forward and they will get to the end goal- even if they progress at snail's pace.