ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

johnj

More delays...i means the last was 24-25 for rollout?
from the first page of this thread-
Tejas Mk2 First Flight
The Tejas Mk.2 is scheduled to make its first flight in 2014, with full-rate production to follow two years later.
Majority of these delay caused by top bureaucrats & change in top positions and their snail progress.
They took 1.5 years to conclude price of mk1a jets causing 2 year delay.
Three most important milestone are 1. first flight, 2. CCS/Sign of final deal, 3. FOC , if you consider User.

karn

Country flag
from the first page of this thread-

Majority of these delay caused by top bureaucrats & change in top positions and their snail progress.
They took 1.5 years to conclude price of mk1a jets causing 2 year delay.
Three most important milestone are 1. first flight, 2. CCS/Sign of final deal, 3. FOC , if you consider User.
I had spoken to a retired airforce officer employed by HAL back in 2016 .. He was involved with the lca mk1 .. He had not even heard about the tejas mk2 .. It was after this conversation that I started taking every timeline put out with extreme skepticism.

johnj

I had spoken to a retired airforce officer employed by HAL back in 2016 .. He was involved with the lca mk1 .. He had not even heard about the tejas mk2 .. It was after this conversation that I started taking every timeline put out with extreme skepticism.
Don't worry, he still don't heard anything about the tejas mk2 yet, and only after first flight he know about mk2.
FYI- ADA started mk2 development around 2009 & first flight in 2012/14.

karn

Country flag
Don't worry, he still don't heard anything about the tejas mk2 yet, and only after first flight he know about mk2.
FYI- ADA started mk2 development around 2009 & first flight in 2012/14.
When the manufacturer does not now anything about the project .. and we keep believing ADAs timelines .. 9 years hence no difference.

johnj

When the manufacturer does not now anything about the project .. and we keep believing ADAs timelines .. 9 years hence no difference.
lol, except him, every one knew about mk2 including americans, indians, europeans, etc.
I think MOD cleared development of mk2 dring 2008, rfi in 2009 which also involved HAL.
Or - another case-
May be ADA/HAL using another name instead of LCA mk2, since mk2 is mk1 with ge414 in the place of ge404 at that time.
Read first page of this thread.

karn

Country flag
lol, except him, every one knew about mk2 including americans, indians, europeans, etc.
I think MOD cleared development of mk2 dring 2008, rfi in 2009 which also involved HAL.
Or - another case-
May be ADA/HAL using another name instead of LCA mk2, since mk2 is mk1 with ge414 in the place of ge404 at that time.
Read first page of this thread.
It means it was not even on HALs radar in 2016 .. Just because ADA liberally pulls out by timelines out of their ass does not mean that we need to believe them .. And a few days back another ex IAF office working for HAL has told us the actual timeline .. and ADA presentations still have 2024 as first flight lmao.

johnj

It means it was not even on HALs radar in 2016 .. Just because ADA liberally pulls out by timelines out of their ass does not mean that we need to believe them .. And a few days back another ex IAF office working for HAL has told us the actual timeline .. and ADA presentations still have 2024 as first flight lmao.
There is a difference b/w AoN & CCS clearance.
May be he is making fun of ADA -ADA can't develop a fighter jet, hence no lca mk2, just wasting the time & money, better give the project to HAL. Hint- he fully aware of mk2 since 2008 or before[its in all newspapers from 2008 ]

karn

Country flag
There is a difference b/w AoN & CCS clearance.
May be he is making fun of ADA -ADA can't develop a fighter jet, hence no lca mk2, just wasting the time & money, better give the project to HAL. Hint- he fully aware of mk2 since 2008 or before[its in all newspapers from 2008 ]
No fun .. Tejas was his job and he was committed to its success . Yes the confusion and disbelief you are feeling now was also what I felt back then .. But everything he told me back then about the LCA project and the fact that LCA mk2 was not even something HAL was involved in has played out in the actual delivery dates . Hence today press releases by ADA and some other DRDO labs boosted by clueless "defense jurnos" are worth toilet paper as far as I am concerned.

johnj

No fun .. Tejas was his job and he was committed to its success . Yes the confusion and disbelief you are feeling now was also what I felt back then .. But everything he told me back then about the LCA project and the fact that LCA mk2 was not even something HAL was involved in has played out in the actual delivery dates . Hence today press releases by ADA and some other DRDO labs boosted by clueless "defense jurnos" are worth toilet paper as far as I am concerned.
He is lying, or living in a closed jail or you misleading his statement.
First you read the first page of this thread.
FYI, he know about lca ge414 aka lca mk2 since 2009.
HAL was chosen as a partner in 2008 & HAL is responsible for building ge414, under 2009 rfi & ADA selected ge414 in 2009 against eft200. ADA, GOI, MOD, IAF & HAL involved in mk2 development since 2008[before]
He knew about mk2, may be you confused with his statements, he may be talking about first step by hal to manufacturing mk2.
First you read the first page of this thread.- except him everyone in ADA, GOI, MOD, IAF & HAL fully aware of mk2.

karn

Country flag
He is lying, or living in a closed jail or you misleading his statement.
First you read the first page of this thread.
FYI, he know about lca ge414 aka lca mk2 since 2009.
HAL was chosen as a partner in 2008 & HAL is responsible for building ge414, under 2009 rfi & ADA selected ge414 in 2009 against eft200. ADA, GOI, MOD, IAF & HAL involved in mk2 development since 2008[before]
He knew about mk2, may be you confused with his statements, he may be talking about first step by hal to manufacturing mk2.
First you read the first page of this thread.- except him everyone in ADA, GOI, MOD, IAF & HAL fully aware of mk2.
Yawn .. I typically get this same response from defence fans/followers when I tell this story ..I got info from the horses mouth, what is going on on this forum or in the media is worth nothing .. or at best serves an entertainment purpose. It's ok if you don't believe me . But don't be surprised when things get delayed randomly .. The state of these projects is never as rosy as is told in the media.

johnj

Yawn .. I typically get this same response form defence fans/followers when I tell this story ..I got info from the horses mouth, what is going on on this forum or in the media is worth nothing .. or at best serves an entertainment purpose. It's ok if you don't believe me . But don't be surprised when things get delayed randomly .. The state of these projects is never as rosy as is told in the media.
Fun fact- its not media, but a reality.
FYI- boeing already supplied first batch of ge414 to HAL in 2019 & ADA selected 99 ge414 in 2009 with HAL manufacturing.
Its not defence fans/followers but GoI/ADA/IAF/MOD saying.
Read the first page first.
You can read these in boeing website.

johnj

Yawn .. I typically get this same response from defence fans/followers when I tell this story ..I got info from the horses mouth, what is going on on this forum or in the media is worth nothing .. or at best serves an entertainment purpose. It's ok if you don't believe me . But don't be surprised when things get delayed randomly .. The state of these projects is never as rosy as is told in the media.
Alsk
Article in 2010
Mk2 official from 2008 & closer to reality since 2010.
FYI- till MOD need clear engines for tedbf/amca.

karn

Country flag
Fun fact- its not media, but a reality.
FYI- boeing already supplied first batch of ge414 to HAL in 2019 & ADA selected 99 ge414 in 2009 with HAL manufacturing.
Its not defence fans/followers but GoI/ADA/IAF/MOD saying.
Read the first page first.
You can read these in boeing website.
Alsk
Article in 2010
Mk2 official from 2008 & closer to reality since 2010.
FYI- till MOD need clear engines for tedbf/amca.
And after all that tejas mk2 will have its roll out (tentatively) in 2025.
0ed.jpg

I'm actually now intrigued . The conversation I had with this officer was offhand in a social setting and honestly I did not know enough back then to ask him good questions. I have asked for another face to face conversation and will reveal his name if he agrees.

Last edited:

johnj

And after all that tejas mk2 will have its roll out (tentatively) in 2025.
View attachment 195939
Funny thing is I'm fan of tejas mk1 since 2001.
Due to the collapse of mmrca & delay of mk2-,
mk1 getting more orders from 40[like arjun/unwanted].
Now= 40 + 83 + counting......
And IAF need 12[min] to 20+ sqn of lca mk1/mk2.
I like around 180 mk1[mk1/mk1a/mk1b...] in iaf.

karn

Country flag
Funny thing is I'm fan of tejas mk1 since 2001.
Due to the collapse of mmrca & delay of mk2-,
mk1 getting more orders from 40[like arjun/unwanted].
Now= 40 + 83 + counting......
And IAF need 12[min] to 20+ sqn of lca mk1/mk2.
I like around 180 mk1[mk1/mk1a/mk1b...] in iaf.
Even funnier is that I was acquainted with the people who were involved in project back then ... These people drained me of all copium. This 2 decade slogfest makes total sense to me .. There was no conspiracy by the babooz or the IAF .. It literally took them till 2019 to get the jet service ready.
If they actually get the mk2 flying by 2026 I will be soo happy.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Even funnier is that I was acquainted with the people who were involved in project back then ... These people drained me of all copium. This 2 decade slogfest makes total sense to me .. There was no conspiracy by the babooz or the IAF .. It literally took them till 2019 to get the jet service ready.
If they actually get the mk2 flying by 2026 I will be soo happy.
When you want a up to date finished product with all capabilities from day one then you need to learn to be patient.

If you compare light weight aircraft development like Korea, Taiwan, China with India then you will notice other countries airforces accepted half baked products and gradually upgraded them while UN generals demanded AESA radar from day one.

I don’t know who Carrom board you are talking who have zero idea about Mk2. Isn’t itself funny and shows Carrom board warriors situational awareness.

In 2008, when UN generals came to know about bitter fact that Tejas is becoming reality. Soon, UN generals declared Tejas Underpowered. In return ADA promised installation of GE 414 in Tejas mk1 Hence Tejas MK2 born.

Surprisingly, UN generals agree for this incremental upgrade in 2008. ADA soon ordered GE 414 engines. Around 2012, UN generals again came up with list of comprehensive deficiencies about in Tejas and stated merely changing engine would not be enough.

After cancellation of MMRCA deal, Late DM Manohar Parrikar asked UN generals to give their final words what they want in MK2 around 2016. This was the time when Concept of current (Canard and 17500kg mtow ) Tejas mk2 was born.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Delay in mk2 is expected, ADA , HAL are after all run by Babu's who shoot bs statements at the drop of the hat. But import airforce is also to be blamed for consistently not ordering more mk1A despite young pilots crashing in deathbed aka MiG-21.

Even now the extra mk1A order is not confirmed and looks like speculation only from clueless media.
Any other nation even porkies would have placed a 500 order for MK1a and would be dying for a chance to use it against us. But not import airforce, no sir...we want gold plated MRFA only.

Vamsi

Country flag

So, LCA mk2 is delayed hence the reason for 50 more LCA mk1a to keep line busy...
Ho Gaya Atmanirbhar Bharat.... 😡😡
F414-INS6 was ready in 2009 itself......OG Mk-2(no canard version) was supposed to be rolled out by 2016 itself....I think GE meant this version of aircraft, not the current version

silverghost

Country flag
Even if your points are valid, Kaveri development must continue.
There is no one who will give us Engine tech, we are on our own and develop and use Kaveri where ever possible.
regarding timelines, although disappointing, we should not care.
Engine tech is one of the top most tech which we must develop at any cost.
Am I saying stop the development of Kaveri? My point is don't slow down the development of Mk2, AMCA, etc because India doesn't have an indigenous engine or some other component. Focus on the problem at hand, our fighter jet strength is dwindling. Import whatever one needs to prove the design & get it ready for manufacture. One can always substitute imported components with Indian ones later.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles