ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Well, we also haven't heard the L1 bidder for Uttam Mk1 which must be ADA priority for now if it is going into Tejas mk1A but Uttam mk2 is on verge of mass production by Astra microwave/BHEL. Uttam is a scalable Radar so Tejas mk1a, Tejas mk2, and Su-30mki will have the same Radar with different numbers of TRM.
True that. Though I personally hope we get to see a DRDO GaN radar on Su-30MKI. Would be a beast.

Vamsi

Country flag
MK1 was a prototype. MK2 is the production version. 21th Tejas MK1a will sport Uttam mk2 which will arrive around 2026. there could be minor changes because there is no logic in putting Uttam mk1 in Tejas mk1a
Mk-1 isn't just a prototype, Mk-1 will be used in Tejas Mk-1A , it has 780TRM while Uttam Mk-2 has 992 TRM. It was already clear, Uttam Mk-1 in Tejas Mk-1A and Uttam Mk-2 in Tejas Mk-2

WARREN SS

Country flag
I would suggest keeping Mk2, ordering another 2 squadrons of Mk1A (cost $2 billion) to take pressure off Mk2 and Mk2 sub-systems development timeline and investing in an engine with India having control of IP, production and sales thereof. HAL are building another plant, aren't they?
So far We ordering (US$6.2 billion) for LCA Mk1A Cleared by CCS
$2 billion for 40 Mk1A
$11 billion for 114 Mk2
$8 billion engine development cost
$6.2 billion for 83 Mk1A or 47000 cr

$11 billion for 114 Mk2( The cost Will Be almost 12-14 billion $ ) Compared Inflation and LCC costs

Point in All Development Ultimately Engines Will US Made GE Which are 24x7 threat of under Embargo Anytime We purchase Russian weapons in future

You forgetting MLU cost of 7-8 billion $ MLU cost MKI's inventory in future

Engine technology Is core of Any aviation infrastructure If We really want Self reliance it can't do it Without
Engines

If The MMRCA contract Bring us JV development in Engine With Safran then we should go for it
or else We still have to buy those 36 Rafale for 5-6 billion $ in follow up deal

Blank

Country flag
So far We ordering (US$6.2 billion) for LCA Mk1A Cleared by CCS

$6.2 billion for 83 Mk1A or 47000 cr

$11 billion for 114 Mk2( The cost Will Be almost 12-14 billion $ ) Compared Inflation and LCC costs

Point in All Development Ultimately Engines Will US Made GE Which are 24x7 threat of under Embargo Anytime We purchase Russian weapons in future

You forgetting MLU cost of 7-8 billion $ MLU cost MKI's inventory in future

Engine technology Is core of Any aviation infrastructure If We really want Self reliance it can't do it Without
Engines

If The MMRCA contract Bring us JV development in Engine With Safran then we should go for it
or else We still have to buy those 36 Rafale for 5-6 billion $ in follow up deal
You still think anybody will give us engine tech on platter despite all the jumla with Saffran and others....

Blank

Country flag
Engine, engine, engine. We talk as if India can get the so-called engine at the stroke of a pen by just signing a deal with Rafale.

China be like : ha bhai, mera 10 year Ka mehnat toh aiseh hi tha. Bhosdike job chor deta hu. 😂 Mujhe bhi Rafale kharidna hai

I have heard we don't even have the proper infra and test facilities for engines in our country.

WARREN SS

Country flag
Engine, engine, engine. We talk as if India get the so-called engine at the stroke of a pen by just signing a deal with Rafale.

China be like : ha bhai, mera 10 year Ka mehnat toh aiseh hi tha. Bhosdike job chor deta hu. 😂

We Already on the line of GE 404 With Kaveri With negligible funds

DRDO achieved Many Things With less R&D cost than china in many fields including radar

point is We didn't have funds or monetary support like Chinese do

Neither have Chinese have global exposure And support like India with western powers

Blank

Country flag
We Already on the line of GE 404 With Kaveri With negligible funds

DRDO achieved Many Things With less R&D cost than china in many fields including radar

point is We didn't have funds or monetary support like Chinese do

Neither have Chinese have global exposure And support like India with western powers

WARREN SS

Country flag
Need Funds For that ???

We didn't had wind tunnel Facility first

or echo chambers for RADAR testing

We achieved Many things With LCA

20 billion (US$265.6 million) in developing the Kaveri engine since 1989,

BC its Peanuts compared Western nations And China

Even with this money Kaveri is on the line of GE 404 initial versions

Vamsi

Country flag
Need Funds For that ???

We didn't had wind tunnel Facility first

or echo chambers for RADAR testing

We achieved Many things With LCA

20 billion (US$265.6 million) in developing the Kaveri engine since 1989,

BC its Peanuts compared Western nations And China

Even with this money Kaveri is on the line of GE 404 initial versions
Even with peanut sized funds, they did really really great, I can only imagine what they can do with full support and huge funding. Mudi shud stop funding mlecchas and divert that money in to our R&D. We are unnecessarily wasting 1.5 lakh crore rupees annually.

Brood Father

Country flag

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
AFAIK, none of these radars you guys are discussing here use vivaldi or TSA. Just google to find the difference between slotted, notch, vivaldi etc. I guess there is a wide spread misconception that all notches are vivaldis.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

Tejas Mk-2 – India’s New SuperFighter Is Now One Of Top 4 Light Combat Aircraft In The World Along With ‘Idol’ Saab Gripen
Mk2 will only be a reality in a couple of years. Since then it's a phantasm.

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
AFAIK, none of these radars you guys are discussing here use vivaldi or TSA. Just google to find the difference between slotted, notch, vivaldi etc. I guess there is a wide spread misconception that all notches are vivaldis.
Yup, not all notches are Vivaldi. F22's an/apg 77 and F35's an/apg 81 both aren't Vivaldi but the new radar of Korea's KF21 uses Vivaldi antennas

-gvmud4.jpg

Spitfire9

Country flag
Switched from Mk1 thread:

Fly way cost of Rafale
Is close 70-80 million
But actual contract cost near 8 billion $

Same way cost of 83 LCA mk1A pegged at 6.2 billion $

That includes LCC,Training, Infrastructure ,simulators
Weapon package and other misc expenditures

That Mk1A is just light weight category aircrafts

Considering MWF categories and
Avionics package it brings to the table
It will not cost less than 55 -60 million $

That is why current.cost of the deal valued at 11-12 billion $ for 7 -8 Squadrons with prototypes a
And trainers

The cost escalation factors renders every deal including Rafale.
Mk2 has a big advantage over the other types being considered for the 114 MRFA proposition - weapons source, weapons cost and support of the Indian weapons development and production sector. What Indian weapons are integrated on the MRFA candidates under consideration?

I think that the rumoured proposal to drop Mk2 in favour of MRFA is ridiculous. I think I am right in saying that 114 Mk2 aircraft would be cheaper to develop and buy than 114 of any of the MRFA contenders, would be cheaper to operate, would be cheaper to update, would be cheaper to equip with weapons and would serve as a stepping stone to many of the systems to be used on MRCA.

I propose dropping MRFA, buying 2-3 more squadrons of Rafale, ordering another 1-2 squadrons of Mk1A and getting Mk2 into production ASAP.

Brood Father

Country flag
Switched from Mk1 thread:

Mk2 has a big advantage over the other types being considered for the 114 MRFA proposition - weapons source, weapons cost and support of the Indian weapons development and production sector. What Indian weapons are integrated on the MRFA candidates under consideration?

I think that the rumoured proposal to drop Mk2 in favour of MRFA is ridiculous. I think I am right in saying that 114 Mk2 aircraft would be cheaper to develop and buy than 114 of any of the MRFA contenders, would be cheaper to operate, would be cheaper to update, would be cheaper to equip with weapons and would serve as a stepping stone to many of the systems to be used on MRCA.

I propose dropping MRFA, buying 2-3 more squadrons of Rafale, ordering another 1-2 squadrons of Mk1A and getting Mk2 into production ASAP.
Aye aye spitfire

Spitfire_-_Season_Premiere_Airshow_2018_(cropped).jpg

MonaLazy

Mk2 aircraft would be cheaper to develop and buy than 114 of any of the MRFA contenders
In the Rafale (most likely MRFA that IAF is simping for) vs Mk2 debate, the Rafale has a decisive advantage in payload while Mk2 has a clear advantage in cost- and by stacking more numbers for the same cost, that payload shortcoming is also largely made up for. We can be in more places at the same time- carrying a similar or more numbers of missiles as we can build so many more of them. Other advantages include ready/easy integration of homegrown weapons with local radar. Without counting benefits to local aero industry just as a fighting package Mk2 makes a lot of sense. Also, there is no way MRFA will be here before Mk2- which is slated to enter production in just about 5 years!

1635767158984.png

Last edited:

Covfefe

Country flag
I don't think that the government will give into this idea of 114 foreign jets when you have something homegrown close to the delivery. And IAF's chief or the institution's viewpoint can be changed pretty easily when the government wants to.(they have jumped the seniority list in the past, nothing to stop them now). These French machines are pretty and mean, but they are bloody expensive and their midlife upgrade bills will be a bigger nightmare (Mirage upgrade remember anyone?). Unless there is some significant political angle to the deal (multiple ongoing discussions related to FTA with EU, French investments in India) with the French President's involvement, this 114 deal won't sail through. MoD can wait for this chief to retire if needed.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles