ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ppgj

If its GE F414 then it'll be a quick integration IMHO. Because 414 already operated on naval fighters & is a matured platform.

However i am concerned about EJ. Eurojet is best for LCA but if selected it shouldn't bring problems to N-LCA as i don't think any naval fighter is powered by EJ. It will require rigorous testing apart from Anti-corrosive coating.
This will only delay the N-LCA induction.
Currently they will be testing N-LCA with GE404.

I think we should order initial GE414 for first 40 N-LCA on IAC & then wait for desi engine.
both have pros and cons.

F-414 will need more modifications to the airframe than Ej200. this is due to the dimensions of each but both fit in the LCA.

F-414 comes cheaper due its production volume while EJ200 costs more.

F-414 is old design with less possibility of future upgrade (though Boeing is testing for a 20% increase in thrust. not operational though) while EJ 200 is much newer design with great possibility of future upgrade. infact IIRC they are quoting upwards 30% increase in thrust for the future.

also IIRC F-414 weighs more taking away some of the thrust in the bargain.

all in all, both are good as for as LCA is concerned which is tiny.

i guess IAF will wait till MMRCA trial gets over and with data and political masters in the loop, they may opt for EJ200 or F-414 provided Eurofighter or F-18 wins the contract. that will take care of the logistical and cost factor.

if both don't make it then it is a toss up between the two.

so take your pick.

nrj

Country flag
^^^^ I fear the IN discipline scrapping N-LCA by ordering more MIG-29K & announcing trials of F35 or recent N-MRCA.....

Such delay due to IAF priorities will worry IN. IAC & Gorky arriving soon. IN is already late to field them so above process will hamper the IN interests.

IN will go for more Mig-29k since training is complete & deliveries will be fast. No need to wait for N-LCA, though they will arrive in small numbers.

N-LCA won't be in bulk orders if delayed since already IN wants completely advanced fighter package for IAC-2.....

nandu

I don't believe it.

AESA was an option for the Mk-2 version . the Mk-1 was supposed to have the Hybrid MMR.
MMR HYBRID : Another critical technology area tackled for indigenous development by the ADA team is the Tejas' Multi-Mode Radar (MMR). It was initially planned for the LCA to use the Ericsson Microwave Systems PS-05/A I/J-band multi-function radar, which was developed by Ericsson and Ferranti Defence Systems Integration for the Saab JAS-39 Gripen. However, after examining other radars in the early 1990s, the DRDO became confident that indigenous development was possible. HAL's Hyderabad division and the LRDE were selected to jointly lead the MMR program; it is unclear exactly when the design work was initiated, but the radar development effort began in 1997.

The DRDO's Centre for Airborne Studies (CABS) is responsible for running the test programme for the MMR. Between 1996 and 1997, CABS converted the surviving HAL/HS-748M Airborne Surveillance Post (ASP) testbed into a testbed for the avionics and radar of the LCA. Known as the 'Hack', the only major structural modification besides the removal of the rotodome assembly was the addition of the LCA's nose cone in order to accommodate the MMR.

By mid-2002, development of the MMR was reported to be experiencing major delays and cost escalations. By early 2005 only the air-to-air look-up and look-down modes two very basic modes were confirmed to have been successfully tested. In May 2006 it was revealed that the performance of several modes being tested still "fell short of expectations." As a result, the ADA was reduced to running weaponisation tests with a weapon delivery pod, which is not a primary sensor, leaving critical tests on hold. Due to delay in development of MMR, government have come out with the collaboration with IAI for development of Radar the sensor for the new radar is supposed to be EL/M-2052 AESA from Elta and the remaining item and software will be combination of MMR and IAI developed products. Varadarajan, (Director - LRDE) has said that LRDE has initiated development of active electronically scanning array radar for airborne applications. And that these radars will be integrated with Tejas light combat aircraft-Mark II by 2012-13.

http://www.lca-tejas.org/avionics.html

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
thank you very much bro. I was very curious to know about it as I couldn`t find all the required matter at one place.

naman19

..=i+..=i+ hi to all here in this forum but i have been frequent vistor of pdf i didnt find the exact date when LCA will finally inducted into airforce somebody was saying in 2011-12 but another one had different opinion

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
^^^^ I fear the IN discipline scrapping N-LCA by ordering more MIG-29K & announcing trials of F35 or recent N-MRCA.....

Such delay due to IAF priorities will worry IN. IAC & Gorky arriving soon. IN is already late to field them so above process will hamper the IN interests.

IN will go for more Mig-29k since training is complete & deliveries will be fast. No need to wait for N-LCA, though they will arrive in small numbers.

N-LCA won't be in bulk orders if delayed since already IN wants completely advanced fighter package for IAC-2.....
Please don't speculate for the sake of it :) IN has put 900 crores for the plane do you think they will do it for luxury? IAC 1 has place for both MiG29K and NLCA so there is place for it

nrj

Country flag
Please don't speculate for the sake of it :) IN has put 900 crores for the plane do you think they will do it for luxury? IAC 1 has place for both MiG29K and NLCA so there is place for it
I never said there will be no place. I just said NLCA will be in small numbers if delayed.

Refer my earlier post i only mentioned IN putting 900 crores in NLCA.... BTW only 6 NLCA are ordered as of now.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I never said there will be no place. I just said NLCA will be in small numbers if delayed.

Refer my earlier post i only mentioned IN putting 900 crores in NLCA.... BTW only 6 NLCA are ordered as of now.
if you look in to numbers it is going to be small only as IN will have lesser numbers then IAF any way there is possibility of numbers increasing as IN might like to have more shore based platforms also. Buddy NLCA is our first step towards making naval platform so have patience

Agantrope

if you look in to numbers it is going to be small only as IN will have lesser numbers then IAF any way there is possibility of numbers increasing as IN might like to have more shore based platforms also. Buddy NLCA is our first step towards making naval platform so have patience
Nothing to do with the patience. They know the program was delayed for engines. At max IN may go for 18-20 NLCA with the given numbers of the carriers in operation

Reactions: nrj

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Nothing to do with the patience. They know the program was delayed for engines. At max IN may go for 18-20 NLCA with the given numbers of the carriers in operation
How many planes u want in a carrier then :) we are not going to have super carriers so numbers are going to be less

Agantrope

How many planes u want in a carrier then :) we are not going to have super carriers so numbers are going to be less
IN have already said that it want to make atleast 200 AC in their kitty. So then calculate the numbers.

plugwater

IN have already said that it want to make atleast 200 AC in their kitty. So then calculate the numbers.
whatever the number for naval version. you cannot directly create naval version for MCA. So Navy is planning it from the beginning. so the experience you got in creating Naval LCA will be useful for naval MCA or any other future indigenous projects.

nrj

Country flag
With F35 in major navies inventory, IN looks for the equivalent 5th Gen fighter for the follow up from IAC-2.

NLCA has space on Gorky & IAC-1 only with Mig-29k being the front line. Agree with Sri, NLCA won't be more than 18....

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
See first you are saying the numbers will be restricted to 18-20 based on number of carriers and 200 includes shore based air crafts in which NLCA can also be the part we are purely doing a speculation exercise even before the first prototype has flown why you are not considering the learning curve for lot of systems will be small as PV 5 closely resembles the N LCA (mentioned in some reports) so some testing is already happening.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
With F35 in major navies inventory, IN looks for the equivalent 5th Gen fighter for the follow up from IAC-2.

NLCA has space on Gorky & IAC-1 only with Mig-29k being the front line. Agree with Sri, NLCA won't be more than 18....
So you have declared everything then I have nothing to say carry on mate

nitesh

Mob Control Manager

nrj

Country flag
See first you are saying the numbers will be restricted to 18-20 based on number of carriers and 200 includes shore based air crafts in which NLCA can also be the part we are purely doing a speculation exercise even before the first prototype has flown why you are not considering the learning curve for lot of systems will be small as PV 5 closely resembles the N LCA (mentioned in some reports) so some testing is already happening.
No doubt NLCA is under testing & will earn experience for ADA but the orders by IN for carrier operations will be limited.

Prototypes be flying with GE 404. Desi engine will take time till 2015 at least.

I'm not declaring anything. I'm just following IN reports & requirements. These are known to all being announced in media. Most of us are aware of it.

Agantrope

Naval AC are meant to operate under the carriers. The mockup of land carrier will not serve the purpose for time. It will hamper the landing gear of the ACs. Hope you got the point.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Discussion continues from - ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

No doubt NLCA is under testing & will earn experience for ADA but the orders by IN for carrier operations will be limited.

Prototypes be flying with GE 404. Desi engine will take time till 2015 at least.
What does this statement supposed to mean? NLCA will use the engine that will be winner of engine competition till then testing will carry on existing engines

I'm not declaring anything. I'm just following IN reports & requirements. These are known to all being announced in media. Most of us are aware of it.
Well can you point out the reports which supports your claims

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles