ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gogbot

Well the MMR hybrid is what we are supposed to have on the LCA mk1

But so far its been a while , since Aero India 2009 since they announced an update on the project.

They initially said that the Lsp-3 would be using either the MMR or the Elta radar.

So as of now , it does there dose not seem to be any change from what was said in statements

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
the weather is good hope it flies today teden teden

gb009

Great news. Have been waiting for LSP3 since December :(.
Let's see who post's the 1st photo :).

What nitesh has posted does imply that it is a hybrid Indian + Israeli radar. Does make sense, I don't see why/how DRDO would have taken so long if all they had to do was to integrate an existing radar. Hope we get to see some official release/news confirming this.

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010
According to this it's the EL/M-2052 AESA

P.S. Subramaniam, Programme Director, Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), the defence laboratory that is designing the LCA, told The Hindu that "airworthy units" of the Israeli – manufactured MMR would be arriving here early next week for integration into the aircraft. The Elta designed and developed MMR, Elta EL/M-2052 which will be an interim option since India is developing an indigenous one, has already undergone tests on the flight test bed and ground rig in Israel.
LCA to be fitted with Israeli multi-mode radar

enlightened1

still..they would have to integrate it with the rest of the avionics & conduct several tests that would easily take 2 years

enlightened1

BREAKING NOW: TEJAS LSP-3 COMPLETES SUCCESSFUL FIRST FLIGHT WITH ELTA MMR ONBOARD. IT FLEW FOR 40 MINUTES AT 0.8 MACH SPEED.
tarmak007.blogspot.com

Last edited:

lodaxstax

still..they would have to integrate it with the rest of the avionics & conduct several tests that would easily take 2 years
two years seems like an awfully long time for an existing system to be integrated. may be we took the route of Rev. Engg. and further R&D and came up with indigenous version.

enlightened1

two years seems like an awfully long time for an existing system to be integrated. may be we took the route of Rev. Engg. and further R&D and came up with indigenous version.
The 2052 was still in its nascent stages..it is a relatively new radar

ppgj

respecting the mods, am answering Armand's post in the MCA/NGFA thread.
Do I need to read and article about a fighter whose capabilities only exist on paper compared to a combat proven workhorse? I think not...
apply the same logic to every link you post for others to read. besides LCA is not a paper plane.

So... ADA has failed to make an MMR. You can't skip a step and go to AESA if you don't know how to make a multi-mode PESA.
you seem to be an authority on everything under the sun!! "delay" is not equal to "failure". yesterday i was saying LSP-3 will fly any day now. i am happy with today's news that it has flown or flying today. am sure you would not have missed it? would you?

it does not matter even if it is israeli joint collaboration. we will reach there in due course. so don't worry.

also -

MMR HYBRID : Another critical technology area tackled for indigenous development by the ADA team is the Tejas' Multi-Mode Radar (MMR). It was initially planned for the LCA to use the Ericsson Microwave Systems PS-05/A I/J-band multi-function radar, which was developed by Ericsson and Ferranti Defence Systems Integration for the Saab JAS-39 Gripen. However, after examining other radars in the early 1990s, the DRDO became confident that indigenous development was possible. HAL's Hyderabad division and the LRDE were selected to jointly lead the MMR program; it is unclear exactly when the design work was initiated, but the radar development effort began in 1997.
http://www.lca-tejas.org/avionics.html

13 years up till now. compare it with "experienced french" in bringing RDY 2 to fruition below.

Our AESA is in full scale production with 60 units ordered, where is yours?
ohhh... hold on!! "operational" is the word. read below now -

The radars will be installed on the aircraft in 2011 for delivery to the French Air Force early in 2012. The successful tests are the latest in a long line of key milestones. Thales began developing an AESA radar demonstrator in the 1990s and conducted exploratory tests at the flight test centre in 2002 and 2003 to refine the concept. In 2004, the French defence procurement agency DGA backed the project with a contract to develop a prototype of an operational active-module radar.
http://www.thalesgroup.com/Press_Re...r_successfully_completes_new_series_of_tests/

2012 it is if everyhting goes smooth.

Lets see, RDI started production in 1987 and ended 1996. RDY-2 started production in 1997 and fielded in 1999. Hard to say the exact dates of development but it looks like 3 years, maybe four. The M2000 family of radars share many features but RDY-2 was a major leap forward from the previous classes thanks to the improved architecture of the Rafale MPDU. It wasn't hard making RDY-2 when we were making the superior RBE2 in conjunction.
RDY Radar

Central to the upgraded multirole capability of the Dash 5 is the RDY radar developed by Thomson-CSF/Detexis. Development of the RDY radar began in 1984 and the programme proceeded smoothly. In July 1987 the first of nine prototypes took to the air in a Falcon 20, and seven years later in December 1994, Thomson-CSF were able to deliver the first production standard set. RDY is the result of Thomson-CSF´s experience gained from producing four generations of fighter radar, in particular the RDI radar -the first Pulse Doppler radar developed by Thomson-CSF.
http://www.mirage-jet.com/Variants/DASH5/RDY/rdy.htm

does it tally with what you wrote??? going by your "1999 fielded" assertion it took 15 years!!!

this with vast previous experience!! you are utterly wrong and blinded by french superiority. why don't you keep your french pride to your self and look at others objectively??

There weren't many delays or incapabilities. The programme went smoothly and evolved many times to update a good solid fighter. It isn't so hard for France to build the latest standard in avionics, Thales makes world class systems the envy of the world. It can do so because it has built the foundation as one of the world's leading defence companies. It isn't run by bureaucrats that place inefficient management and isn't held accountable, it is a leading global competitor accountable to its shareholders.
i am not questioning any of it. infact i myself admire french systems which i made clear in my previous posts. you were the one who jumped in to bash DRDO, LCA and its MMR and the engine.

2011 they will be flying with Elta MMRs, not Indian.
my answer was to your "indian operational fighter" in your previous post. why are you bringing MMR again??

gripen also has selex radar and an american engine. does it mean they are no good??

But you aren't dealing with any of the problems. When you screw up your engines you call in Snecma. When you screw up your radar you call Elta. If you can't solve your problems without outsourcing, you won't ever develop the core competencies.
that is called pragmatism. do you think french do not depend on anybody for anything?

i have told you earlier about DRDO's tiny budgets, lack of requisite infra and india's own financial cruch in 80's and early 90's. instead of seeing things in perspective - you are bashing DRDO like many here.

even americans procured "LITENING" pods from israel initially. does it make USA less capable??

as i said we are marching and will reach there in both Radar and Engine technology in due time. so chill...

Yes, Tarang Mk2 failed. When you can't escape even one missile, you know it failed. There are more ways to defeat obsolete Russian SAMs than a jammer.
since this issue is already being discussed in detail in another thread, i don't want to touch it.

HAL has been in existence since 1940... what is your excuse?
well HAL is not part of DRDO. and LCA is ADA and drdo project. HAL is only the manufacturer. as for as DRDO i told you they had to build everything from ground up and considering their past inexperience and lack of infra - delays are natural.

Should we feel bad about lack of money when GoI doesn't spend billions of dollars allocated in the defence budget? Too busy filling babus pockets? I don't know...
valid point. here the armed forces are also to blame. they don't spend the money allocated to them and return it every year and then cry!!

Early 2010 has come and gone, we are now entering mid-year.
it is connected to sarkozy's visit. when he visits probably he will sign both this and the mirage upgrade contract. only my guess.

I can make a list of their failures a mile long, please show me their success.
go to drdo.org. or drdo page on the wiki.

So is India reliant on foreign technologies that they can't accomplish anything under sanction? That is not what you want to hear for the case of indigenisation.
sanctions always brings challeges to surmount to the indian scientists. whether it is ISRO or DRDO, they have done it. sometimes sanctions help!!! =heheh

that apart, it is all give and take in the present world. where we can, we will rely on our own capabilities. where we can't it is obvious we have to procure.

Last edited:

enlightened1

http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/2010/04/handsome-tejas-lsp-3-kisses-sky-with.htmlhttp://tarmak007.blogspot.com/2010/04/handsome-tejas-lsp-3-kisses-sky-with.html

India's LCA-Tejas programme inched closer to IOC on Thursday when an LSP-3 kissed the skies with an Israeli multi-mode radar (MMR), which answers to the call Elta. On the successful flight of the LSP-3 Director, ADA, Mr P.S. Subramanyam, has said that this is the "culmination of the efforts of the Tejas Team comprising of members from HAL, IAF, CEMILAC, DG-AQA, DRDO labs, PSUs, coordinated by ADA". The test aircraft was flown by Wg Cdr G Thomas, VM of the National Flight Test Centre (NFTC) at ADA. The flight lasted for 52 minutes.
A comprehensive report will appear at 8 pm IST on :
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/india.do

A.V.

really good pictures time to market the LCA as a product now with such High definition pictures coming up

plugwater

Tejas LSP-3 makes a successful first flight: DRDO says Initial Operational Clearance on track for Dec 2010

TEJAS LSP3 MAKES SUCCESSFUL MAIDEN FLIGHT

Limited Series Production (LSP) # 3 aircraft is the ninth test vehicle to join the flight line to undertake development flight trials of the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas towards operational clearance for induction in the IAF by the end of the year. Successful, copy book maiden test flight of LSP-3 is significant on many counts.

The LSP-3 is a quantum jump in terms of the equipment fit on the aircraft. It is almost the final configuration including the new air-data computers, Multi Mode Radar, new communication and navigation equipment and radar warning receiver. With this successful flight, the LCA (Tejas) programme is very close to the Initial Operations Clearance, which is to be completed by December 2010. The remaining effort is mostly the flight testing and demonstration of sensors and weapon performance.

The test aircraft was flown by Wg Cdr G Thomas, VM of the National Flight Test Centre (NFTC) at ADA. As per procedure the first flight was accompanied by a chase aircraft which was a Tejas Trainer flown by Gp Capt RR Tyagi, the Chief Test Pilot and Wg Cdr (Retd) PK Raveendran SC, the Group Director (Flight Test). The test flight was conducted from the Telemetry station by the Test Director, Wg Cdr S Toffeen, under the supervision of Air Cmde Rohit Varma VM, the Project Director (Flight Test). The flight took off from HAL airport in Bangalore and all the objectives of the flight were met within the duration of 52 minutes.

With this flight the total number of test flights accumulated across nine test vehicles of the Tejas programme has reached one thousand three hundred and fifty and has logged about 800 hrs of flight.

On the successful flight of the LSP-3 Director – ADA, Mr PS Subramanyam has said that this is the "culmination of the efforts of the Tejas Team comprising of members from HAL, IAF, CEMILAC, DG-AQA, DRDO labs, PSUs, coordinated by ADA".
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2010/04/tejas-lsp-3-makes-successful-first.html

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
chacko reports it confirms the speculation about almost the final configuration of the plane:

http://frontierindia.net/defense/indian-light-combat-aircrafts-lsp-3-takes-to-skies

The LSP-3 is a quantum jump in terms of the equipment fit on the aircraft. It is almost the final configuration including the new air-data computers, Multi Mode Radar, new communication and navigation equipment and radar warning receiver. With this successful flight, the LCA (Tejas) programme is very close to the Initial Operations Clearance, which is to be completed by December 2010. The remaining effort is mostly the flight testing and demonstration of sensors and weapon performance.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I was not able to observe one plane but felt it was not jag so it is confirmed that it was the trainer now waiting for N LCA to come in

nrj

Country flag
I was not able to observe one plane but felt it was not jag so it is confirmed that it was the trainer now waiting for N LCA to come in
What will be engine for NLCA??
Where they are going to carry out sea trials?
I think NLCA is still far from testing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles