ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Congratulations for Finally getting Tejas delivered! Back in the 80s Mirage III was my favourite plane, great to see that it's legacy lives. ..

They bring stability and peace to your region, every possible attacker must now think twice!

Thank You !!

Delta wing designs have their advantages but Tejas is a entirely new design, tailored for IAF requirements based on the experience of past wars. LCA was a bit late because of variety of reasons but this step is a big boost for Indian Aerospace industry.
LCA mark 2 is a much improved version!

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I see red whenever seeing this incorrect 32 year timeline given by media. The import lobby is still strong I see.
Sir, just a simple request as i dont claim to be in the know ...i would really appreciate to know your version
of the time-line of the development of this, our first try ..many thanks in advance

i have a friend from a very influential family in the highest echelons of the bjp who told me way back in 1977
that they were planning a light fighter aircraft but of course we can use that as the start-date as it was
probably just an idea then ?

Its more like 12 years, When it actually begun .. :)
The first Tejas were actually inducted back in Dec of 2011 ..
as above, most grateful for your version of time-line please .

I don't think so. I think there will be changes in senior management across the board. HAL should be in line too. Mr Chander is just the start. The government wants to deliver and wants to see dynamism.

I am personally in support of DRDO despite the flab and government culture as this is one organization which matters the most for security of the country. DRDO must be supported to the hilt. It is the industries like OFB and HAL where government needs to rethink its role. India must have competition in every single product. There should be no monopoly.
i agree with EVERYTHING you wrote ! - the competent scientists and engineers
should not have to bear any brunt if as it seems they have done their part

the probs seems more mgmt and org .....hope Namo & Co. manage to sort it out as it seems they are

Congratulations for Finally getting Tejas delivered! Back in the 80s Mirage III was my favourite plane, great to see that it's legacy lives. ..They bring stability and peace to your region, every possible attacker must now think twice!
i dont think you are, even if sarcastic it's still ok ......you do have the right
for me though, this was our first try and it was a bumpy ride in an era of equally bumpy politics
and illogically bumpy decision making

Namo & Co are doing the best they can to smoothen out the illogicalities in the system and we have
a long way to go till that job is done and i know he wont rest till it is done.

meanwhile in this present Tejas, we have a replacement for the mig 21 with 5th gen electronics and
perhaps 3rg gen maneuverability and 3rg gen engine and underpowered thrust to weight specs ...
which might be sufficient to match packlands jf17 but not the later versions on the chinese side
eg j50 ( stealth fighter bomber )

secondly we have to ramp up the production rate and that itself will also pose a separate challenge

...let the world be condescending if they want ,.....i say let Namo show the world our second try
where he is in charge from start to finish

judge us on that !

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
[tweet]553913405526921216[/tweet]

Gen-next EW suite for Tejas

(Unedited release)

An advanced electronic warfare suite (EW suite) developed by Defence Avionics Research Establishment (DARE), a DRDO laboratory specializing in avionics and electronic warfare systems for combat aircrafts, flew for the first time onboard the "Tejas-PV1 light combat aircraft" today i.e. 10th January 2015, at Bengaluru. In addition to the Radar Warner, the EW suite tested today is also equipped with Jammer. It gives to the pilot an additional capability of nullifying the effect of detected Radar threat by appropriate mode of jamming. Existing EW systems fitted on various combat aircrafts are basic EW equipment known as Radar Warner Receiver to provide warning to the aircraft pilot in case of detection of a Radar threat. After obtaining due flight clearances and certification, the first flight sortie of LCA PV1 with the EW equipment operational, took place today. The equipment was noted to be detecting Radar signals operating in and around the flight path. Dr Avinash Chander, Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri, Secretary Deptt. of Def. R&D & DG DRDO congratulated the team on the achievement and said "This warfare suite adds an important capability to our LCA." Sh SS Sundaram, Distinguished Scientist and DG (ECS) called it a "New Generation Electronic Warfare Equipment Integrated on TEJAS Aircraft". Ms J Manjula, OS and Director DARE said "LCA is the first fighter aircraft of India fitted with a Radar Warner and Jammer equipment. It has capability for both Radar warning and jamming using a Unified EW Technology. Over the coming few months, ADA and DARE will be scheduling further sorties to evaluate the system in various signal scenarios".

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
[tweet]556522886643871744[/tweet]

Tejas a 4+ generation Fighter Aircraft, world's smallest, light- weight, multi-role, supersonic aircraft optimized for Air- Superiority and Air-Defence Roles. Designed for IAF by the Indian Scientists and manufactured with Indian hands,to meet the frontline tactical requirements of the Indian Air Force (IAF). The wealth of experience of IAF test pilots associated with Tejas has contributed a great deal in evolution of Tejas as a superb fighter. It incorporates an amalgamation of contemporary features and technologies: Agility: Unstable Tail-less Compound Delta planform permitting Carefree Manoeuvring with superior Handling Qualities and enabling Advanced Autopilot Modes. Light-weight: Extensive use of advanced composite materials (about 70% of Airframe by weight) . Advanced Avionics Suite: Advanced Glass Cockpit with enabling Situational Awareness, Decision Support and Data Fusion. Open Architecture Mission and Display Computer for obsolescence management. Computer Control for Electro- Mechanical System and Advanced Weapon Management System. Advanced Electro-Mechanical Systems: Computer controlled Brake Management, Fuel and Environment Control System (ECS). Aircraft-mounted Accessories Gearbox, Carbon-Carbon Brake Disc, Heat Exchangers, Hydraulic & Fuel Valves. It is not just Tejas but also an ingenuously evolved ecosystem conducive to design development and production of indigenous advanced aeronautical systems. Jai Hind

vram

Country flag
Sir, just a simple request as i dont claim to be in the know ...i would really appreciate to know your version
of the time-line of the development of this, our first try ..many thanks in advance

i have a friend from a very influential family in the highest echelons of the bjp who told me way back in 1977
that they were planning a light fighter aircraft but of course we can use that as the start-date as it was
probably just an idea then ? [/COLOR][/B]
You can find the exact time lines in the DRDO facebook page. It is the top post currently.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004716738949&fref=nf&pnref=story

I remember having had rolling arguments with p2prada about the very same timelines in other threads in the past couple of years. I stand proven now.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
We are expecting a fast acceleration in MK1 development as well as MK2 and AMCA ..

Tamilmani likely to be interim DRDO chief

K. Tamilmani, Chief Controller of Aeronautics Cluster in the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), is likely to become the interim head of the organisation, succeeding Avinash Chander, who was asked to step down after the government suddenly ended his contractual term.

Dr. Tamilmani, the senior-most of the seven cluster heads in the DRDO, is the Director of the Centre for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC), Bangalore.

Government sources indicated on Friday that a proposal to de-link the position of Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister from the Director-General, DRDO, was under consideration as part of a major overhaul of the organisation, which has faced criticism on account of time and huge cost overruns in key defence projects. Currently, the DRDO chief acts as the Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister.

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar acknowledged that it was his decision to terminate the contract of Dr. Chander as he believed a "younger person should be heading the DRDO and not someone on contract." He said the senior-most cluster head would be the interim head.

About , K Tamilmani : -

Dr. K Tamilmani, has taken over as Director General - Aeronautical Systems with effect from 02 Sep 2013. Earlier he has served as the Chief Controller R&D (Aero) from 1st March 2013. He received Degree in Aeronautical Engineering from MIT, Chennai, Postgraduate degree from BITS, Ranchi, MA (Defence Studies) from Madras University, MBA (HRD) from IGNOU. He was conferred Doctoral degree in Defence and Strategic Studies by the University of Madras. His research work focused on the Military Technology Dynamics and its implications on National Security.

Dr Tamilmani was Director, Centre for Air Borne Systems (CABS), Bengaluru before being appointed as the Chief executive (Airworthiness), CEMILAC, on 1 January 2007 and CCR&D (Aero) from 1 March 2013.

As CC R&D (Aero) for the aero cluster labs, viz., ADA, ADE, ADRDE, CABS, CEMILAC, DARE and GTRE and as Chief Executive (Airworthiness) of CEMILAC, he is steering defence research and aero product development and the airworthiness certification of all development programmes of national importance, viz., LCA (Tejas), ALH and IJT. He is a strong believer in indigenisation and continues to play a leadership role in several indigenisation initiatives of many airborne systems/stores.

Dr Tamilmani has received many awards and honours for his work including the DRDO Outstanding Contribution Award in 1992 and again in 1995. He also received the Prof. VM Ghatge Award by the Aeronautical Society of India (AeSI) in 1995 for his significant contributions to the indigenous Air Borne Early Warning (AEW) programme. Further he had been awarded the National Aeronautical Prize for the year 2007 by the AeSI and also received the MIT Alumni Award 2007. He was also conferred with DRDO's Agni Award for Self Reliance-2008. He is also the recipient of DRDO's prestigious Technology Leadership Award-2011 from the Hon'ble Prime Minister of India Dr Manmohan Singh on 31 July 2012.

Dr K Tamilmani is a fellow of AeSI and presently holds the position of Vice President in the National Governing Council of AeSI. He has been nominated by the Governor of Karnataka as a senate member of the very prestigious Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belgaum. He has also been recently nominated as Chairman of the Board of Governors for the esteemed Madras Institute of Technology, Anna University, Chennai, Non-academia member in the Board of Studies in Defence and Strategic Studies, University of Madras, Member, Governing Council, CMR Institute of Technology, Bengaluru.

source : Tamilmani likely to be interim DRDO chief - The Hindu
source : DRDO

rahulrds1

We are expecting a fast acceleration in MK1 development as well as MK2 and AMCA ..
Affirmative !

By looking at Dr. K. Tamilmani (likely to be interim DRDO chief) career path, ( DRDO )

# Chief Controller of Aeronautics Cluster,R&D (Aero) labs
ADA, ADE, ADRDE, CABS, CEMILAC, DARE and GTRE and as Chief Executive (Airworthiness) of CEMILAC
# Degree in Aeronautical Engineering from MIT, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
# MBA, master in "Business administration"
# Doctoral degree in Defence and Strategic Studies
# Director, Centre for Air Borne Systems (CABS)
# Strong believer in indigenisation and continues to play a leadership role in several indigenisation initiatives of many airborne systems/stores.

He certainly will we keep a close eye on below programs in "TIMELINE" perspective.

#LCA AESA Radar, its production.
#Design of new Bigger platform Phalcon-style AWACS
#LCA MK2 Development
#AMCA
#LCA Production lines & rates (private sector involvement)
#UAV,UCAV
#Kaveri

Last edited:

salute

Congratulations for Finally getting Tejas delivered! Back in the 80s Mirage III was my favourite plane, great to see that it's legacy lives. ..

They bring stability and peace to your region, every possible attacker must now think twice!

you will like amca too,

just because its delta wing you think its mirage design(mirage was first with delta wings and it showed its capability)

mirage is best suited for india,

every plane requires wings but it doesn't mean they are copies ,its learned from it as delta wings are better suited for smaller aircraft for lift and to carry weapons,

when finland comes up with better design world will follow it too.:thumb:

Last edited:

aero_sp

For the first time an IITan at MOD, MMRCA is almost stands for cancellations, because someone now really feel and understanding technical comparison rather than depending on general's advice.

salute

now with infrastructure getting in placed from now on it not gonna take that much of time,

you know these projects takes little time?

grampiguy

BTW What happened to IAF's lead-in-fighter trainer requirement? Last I read, IAF was looking for about 100 of these trainers after MiG-21s retire, which are currently being used for LIFT. Speculations were strong and rightfully so that Tejas MK-1 was suitable for LIFT requirements. Any news on that front?

Additionally, why can't HAL's production schedule increase from 16 aircrafts of all varieties? Whether Su-30MKI, ALH Dhruv, LCA Tejas, you name it, HAL can produce only 16 at max. With this rate of production, it would take two decades for a platform to get inducted in respectful numbers. Why can't HAL manufacture 30 or more aircraft platforms annually like other companies in America or even China? If LCA Tejas MK-1 is produced in good numbers, it could be eventually upgraded to Mk-2 standards later like it was done to F-16, Mirage or any other aircraft. So why such tiny production number?

indiatester

Country flag
Please i requested not to speculate, i request every one to stick to the facts, when after installing the cone range doesn't seems ro be close to what is being targeted then we will further discuss on this.
Has the radar range been quantified without the cone?

PaliwalWarrior

Gov is already looking at Pvt sector for serial production of MK2 ..

In the mean time, HAL MUST have upgrade proposals for MK1 to MK2 grade as close as possible ..

============

In Aero India, HAL must showcase all kind of Tejas in A2A, A2G config for better publicity of this Indian made and design fighter ..

HAL is just the builder

it builds Mk1 / Mk2 as per design finalised by ADA & IAF combined

finalising design/specs of Mk2 is responsibility of IAF & ADA

once they finalise and handover to HAL then HAL comes in the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles