ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmaitra

Re: ADA LCA Tejas Mark-II

The IAF is also against ordering any more Mk-1s. They have sent a report to GOI on 'issues' with the Mk-I as well.Further he adds.
If IAF has issues with LCA Mk-I, they can design one from scratch, in India.

However all stakeholders agree that GE et al will set many facilities in India if orders are large enough.
Give a name to the stakeholders. Let them declare under oath what they are saying. What is GE et al?

rohit b3

Country flag

Many people on here, including myself are totally against spending 20 Bil$, on a 4.5th gen Foreign Aircraft, that too, in the era of 5th gen fighters. There are several alternative soluations suggested, and I though I come up with mine too.(Though that wont change anything,lol)

If MMRCA is actually signed in 2015, the first 16 Aircrafts wont be delievered before 2018, followed by 8 each in 2019 and 2020. Thus by 2020, IAF would have 32 Rafales.

On the other hand, Tejas production goes something like this approximately - 2 in 2014, 8 in 2015, 8 in 2016, 14 in 2017 , 14 in 2018, Approximately completing the order of 46 Tejas(40 IAF+6 IN) by 2018.
Though HAL has claimed that it would pump up the production to 16 a year, being on the conservative side, im choosing to take 14 instead.
Now Tejas mk2 does not enter service before 2021-22.
I would suggest Order 20 more Tejas mk1s...14 in 2019 , 6 in 2020. For 600 mil$. i.e 30mil$ per aircraft.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the last 40 "Super Sukhois" are to be directly delivered by Russia. IAF already has about 200 MKIs, so HAL is to manufacture about 30 more, which would be completed by 2016. Order 30 more MKIs which will be delievered during 2017-2018, for 2.4Bil$...i.e 80Mil$ each.

This way the IAF is inducting 50 Aircrafs by 2020 for just 3 Bil$, making full use of its existing manufacturing facilities.

Now the challenging part is with the Tejas mk2. Out of a requirement of 126 Aircrafts, 50 was made up by the MKI and Tejas. 76 to go which HAS TO BE fullfilled by the Tejas mk2. I.e Order 76 Extra Tejas mk2. That means 199 tejas mk2 (83 initial IAF order + 40 IN + 76 Extra) This really has to be made up in good time, by involving Private players and more manufacturing facilities. The 199 Tejas mk2 can be delivered in 10 Years, with 20/Year production.
Innovative planning can pump up the production to 30 a year, which is the challenging part.

The Extra 76 Tejas mk2 will cost 3.8Bil$ @ 50mil$ per aircraft.

In conclusion, right now choosing to order 20 more Tejas mk1 and 30 more MKIs is the immidiate smart thing to do. That would make sure IAF gets 50 in very quick time.(as it keeps complainian about its depleting fleet)

Also by this combination, the 126 Aircrafts will cost 6.8 Bil$, as against MMRCA's 15-20Bil$.
Also it would boost the indigenous aviation industries and make way for exports, and could also make way for a Stealth 5th Gen Tejas mk3 along with the HAL AMCA.

Zebra

Country flag

casper ...i have commented about the photo ...not about UTTAM....
That's fine.

Sir, I tried to get it once again but failed many times. You said (here on DFI) something about some kind of 'bolts' for (French made) aircrfts. If I am not wrong.

That HAL was trying to get from French company, but they gave hard time to HAL. Even for little things like (French made) 'bolts' HAL struggled a lot.

At lest your post was saying that.

Sir, do you remember that post? Can you recall it and post it here again. Please.

Sorry for trouble.

Zebra

Country flag

Rest in Peace LCA :rip:
Welcome to wonderland dude.

[tweet]528490465146834944[/tweet]
Doesn't make sense to order more Mk1s. And good news they pointed out issues. It will be great help to improve Tejas in this perfect world.

[tweet]528499104326750208[/tweet]
Not good idea. One is a lab another is a company.

[tweet]528499891199160322[/tweet]
Indeed, very good move.

sgarg

'Ministry of aerospace' is a funny suggestion. How does it help IAF? IAF will stay under MOD as far as I can see.

Issues with LCA: Waiting to know more about it.

ADA merger with HAL: Makes no sense. We want to see ADA use private sector in future, which is critical for next fighter project. IAF forgets that this Govt has no special love for HAL.

Zebra

Country flag
'Ministry of aerospace' is a funny suggestion. How does it help IAF? IAF will stay under MOD as far as I can see.

Issues with LCA: Waiting to know more about it.

ADA merger with HAL: Makes no sense. We want to see ADA use private sector in future, which is critical for next fighter project. IAF forgets that this Govt has no special love for HAL.

Sir you are right. But still I said different thing in my post for some reason.

Anyway, there is one very easy solution, appoint new air chief.

sgarg

That's fine.
That HAL was trying to get from French company, but they gave hard time to HAL. Even for little things like (French made) 'bolts' HAL struggled a lot.
PSUs excel in screw driver technology. The actual production of each PSU is dependent either on import, or private sector suppliers.

PSUs are in very bad shape due to government of India being a very bad manager + political interference.

HAL cannot make a quality fighter from raw materials because it does not have the work culture. It takes hard disciplined workforce to produce good quality airplanes with requisite quantity.

No option but to transfer Tejas mark II to private sector. It is funny to see IAF promoting HAL now as the vested interests want to keep their influence somehow.

Zebra

Country flag

PSUs excel in screw driver technology. The actual production of each PSU is dependent either on import, or private sector suppliers.

PSUs are in very bad shape due to government of India being a very bad manager + political interference.

HAL cannot make a quality fighter from raw materials because it does not have the work culture. It takes hard disciplined workforce to produce good quality airplanes with requisite quantity.

No option but to transfer Tejas mark II to private sector. It is funny to see IAF promoting HAL now as the vested interests want to keep their influence somehow.
Sir, they were trying to get bolts for French made aircraft. At that time they were right, they just tried to fit OEM supplied stuff. Nothing wrong in it.
They problem here was it was very hard for them to get right stuff at time when need it.

BTW, HAL do good job.

sgarg

@Casper, do you think a bolt cannot be made in India??
The aircraft may be French made but that does not mean its bolt has to French made.

HAL builds all components, nuts and bolts and even engines for Russian origin aircraft. Why it proves so difficult for French made aircraft.

The answer is simple, the technology does not exist in India in many cases and French are not keen to give HAL the technology.
HAL can develop the technology but HAL has not proven good in R&D.

There are several problems with HAL. The quality is specially where IAF has a long history of fighting with HAL. It is funny IAF wanting HAL to take over further development of Tejas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

Suggest you read the thread before quoting others with knee jerking replies ..

Reading few last pages would be fine ..

That photo is of Tejas MMR which is operational in A2A mode, Picture of HUD where R-73E being guided by Tejas MMR during IRON FIST 2013 is posted in this very thread ..

Please read the thread ..

==============>>

Contains footage of HUD showing an R-73E being guided by Tejas Multi-mode radar. >>

casper ...i have commented about the photo ...not about UTTAM....
kunal!!!!! its not AESA radar!!!! its the pic of LCA MMR(multi mode Radar)////The project is dead and lying R.I.P!!!!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

Interesting :

* Apparently ramping up LCA prodn numbers currently has supply chain constraints in composites etc.
* However all stakeholders agree that GE et all will set many facilities in India if orders are large enough.
* Recommendation for a ministry of aerospace has also been made.

1. This has been posted before, Pvt sector already offering such facilities ..
2. With number of orders made, GE will be opening up many facilities in collaboration with both Pvt and Gov ..

sgarg

@Kunal Biswas, What is the deal with Tejas Mark I issues.

What press has covered so far is "underpowered engine". However in air defence role, the power to weight ratio with F404 engine seems quite adequate. Only attack role when heavier load is lugged for longer distance requires a higher power engine. The immediate need is to fill airbases with air defence fighters, which are seriously getting low with large scale Mig-21 retirements.

Is there any "aerodynamic deficiency" which is to be addressed. I would assume that should NOT be the case after IOC2 is achieved.

The maintenance issues can be addressed in the next version. It is unlikely that all issues can be addressed at once.

Is there is a big problem with MMR? Is MMR the problem these retired Generals/jounos are referring to? I would assume that an A2A engagement envelope of 40km (which is assumed for Mirage 2000) should be good enough for LCA Tejas. I have not seen any report that says LCA Tejas doe not have this kind of engagement capability.

We live in a democratic country (hopefully). The Government should come out with a press release on what the problems are and how the government is tackling these problems. It is public money these people are playing with. There should be a sense of responsibility in each person about the money being spent and the task assigned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Their are no issues with Tejas MK1 as far as technically it goes ..

sgarg

Why is Tejas Mark II giving nightmares to retired IAF Generals?

I believe it is the ELTA 2052 AESA radar. With it, LCA Tejas jumps in capabilities ahead of Mig-29 and Mirage-2000.

I keep my fingers crossed. This story is getting interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles