ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
What Are You Reading in What I have Written....

When It comes to capability of TEJAS I HAVE NO DOUBTS....

It is what is need of the hour....

What are you reading my friend?

You are just believing all those fake planted stories written in newspapers by DDM folks quoting ""unnamed" IAF higher officials!!!!

SO there is really no point in dragging this debate further.

SP-1 nay be of IOC-2 standard, but it can fire any BVR missile that will be evaluated by LSP-8 the time of FOC.

It is no miracle to add these capacities to SP-1.

Also whenever Astra nk1 is qualified by any tejas any time in the future Sp-1 can be altered to carry it also.Because these capabilities are already built in by the design stage of SP-1 itself. Only its validation and safe operation certification that is pending.

By IOC-2 Tejas did not get clearance for its gun, Does that mean SP-1 and 2 will never fire their guns in their lifetime?? Only an art graduate can make such an uninformed guess.

BVR missile and gun firing though not certified for IOC-2 will be added to SP-1 after FOC certifies these aspects. It is no wing redesign or fuselage cum engine redesign .They are all just sub system additions .

sgarg

Don't worry Tejas will be ordered far more than 20. IAF is lost in MMRCA contract. The weight of packets is too heavy. It will take some time to clear.

Current orders are 20 for IAF and 8 for IN for Mark-1. Also certification of Mark-1 and development of Mark-2 involves a lot of work at HAL. So the line is busy till 2017.

sgarg

I want to clear the issue with F414 engine. F414 is a replacement for F404 having exactly the same dimensions. The only difference is power produced and the weight is slightly higher.

The replacement of 404 with 414 is not a difficult task. Nobody should worry on that count.

The main change in Mark-2 from Mark-1 is engine. The AESA radar and mid-air refueling are going into Mark-1 itself.

As regards payment for Mark-1 to HAL, I doubt that HAL will get a fixed amount when plane's specs are changing. I think the situation will clear by FOC.

The first few Tejas of SP series will be used for conversion of pilots to this type, which is logical. I think many people are very emotional about Tejas. Indians are not very good in communication. Many doubts arise just because of lack of communication.

Companies like HAL simply have no expertise in communications. Defence public sector works under strict rules and officials are generally very cautious regarding press releases and interviews.

All kinds of doubts and surmises flourish due to lack of communication.

Tejas aircraft is fine. I expect the production constantly increasing until it stabilizes to around 30 planes a year. Four versions of Tejas have to be certified - single seat for IAF, two seat for IAF and IN, and single seat for Navy. The total Tejas run will definitely be >300 although I think it may even go into thousands.

Tejas is the right fighter for India. It is small, cheap to run and maintain, reasonably stealthy, and packed with all modern contemporary features.

power_monger

Country flag
HAL upgrades LCA project to boost production

Ahead of obtaining a final operational clearance for the light-combat aircraft (LCA) Tejas, the state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) has now upgraded the project group to a full-fledged division to look after production in a systematic way with more investments. Overall fund allocation for development and production of Tejas is Rs 25,000 crore.
"As far as LCA production is concerned, HAL is on the right path. LCA Project Group has now been upgraded as full-fledged division to look after production in a systematic way with more investments," a senior HAL official told FE. "The new initiative will help enhance rate of production, reduce production cycle time by incorporating several advanced defence aerospace technologies," the official said.
HAL has drawn up ambitious plans to revamp capabilities and capacity, and the company is confident of meeting the challenges on production front. "The plan is to roll out 16 LCAs every year from the initial target of eight per year," the official said. However, for induction into the Air Force, LCA must pass the final operational clearance (FOC), which has slipped a few months into 2015. Earlier this week, the first of the LCA Tejas built to series production standard successfully completed its maiden flight in Bangalore, piloted by HAL chief test pilot retired Air Cmde KA Muthana.
"This could be achieved within nine months after receiving the initial operational clearance (IOC) certification in December 2013 and within one year after receiving the build standard documents," according to HAL chaiman RK Tyagi. "The aircraft is now ready for IAF operations," said Tyagi.
The other series aircraft are in various stages of "build" in the fully equipped production line at HAL factory at Bangalore. The contract for delivery of aircraft was signed in 2006 for first 20 LCA Tejas aircraft in IOC configuration. The IAF's initial requirement is put at around 200 LCAs and 20 two-seat conversion trainers.
The first 40 jets will be equipped with General Electric F404 engines. Simultaneously, Indian engineers together with French experts are developing domestically-designed gas turbine engine, dubbed Kaveri.
Russia started in-flight tests of the Kaveri engine in autumn 2010. According to officials, no country opts for 100% indigenisation as it is not cost effective and needs huge infrastructure. Hence, he explained that the main structure and sub-systems of the aircraft are indigenised and the remaining parts are imported.
The development of the home-grown fighter aircraft, has already taken 30 years at an estimated cost of over Rs 17,000 crore.
HAL faced many technological challenges in the making of LCA that included sanctions on import of carbon fibre, establishing the entire tooling and manufacturing capability by in-house design of tooling and test equipments and incorporation of world class manufacturing standards.
The business partners working on India's prestigious LCA have decided to ensure the indigenous content of components used in the aircraft touches 80% in the next three years.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
From Twitter Saurav Jha @SJha1618

Quote:
LCA update #1: Cobham IFR and quartz radome expected to be delivered by November. #FOCMarch2015
LCA update #2: Gun firing demonstrated from ground to user for all necessary parameters. Airborne testing in Jamnagar. #FOCMarch2015
LCA update #3: Angle of Attack up to 26 degrees demonstrated. More testing is underway. #FOCMarch2015
LCA update #4: Derby carriage trials Mid-October. Test firing by end-October. Dr TamilMani says piece of cake. #FOCMarch2015
LCA update#5: IFR is not an issue once the assembly is actually delivered. Some more air to ground weapons are also being integrated.
LCA update #6: SP-1 is a completely debugged version of LSP-8 and is performing very well according to Dr Tamil Mani.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Saurav Jha @SJha1618 · 14h 14 hours ago @sbmvv2000 Gun testing from the ground is over. Airborne testing after the holiday season. BVR trials by end October. Neither is a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
SP-1

HAL faced many technological challenges in the making of LCA that included sanctions on import of carbon fibre, establishing the entire tooling and manufacturing capability by in-house design of tooling and test equipments and incorporation of world class manufacturing standards. Inspection devices such as laser trackers tolerancing to the tune of 0.08 mm for inter changeability features and 0.2 mm for contours were used to achieve these standards.

Zebra

Country flag
HAL upgrades LCA project to boost production

.....The first 40 jets will be equipped with General Electric F404 engines. Simultaneously, Indian engineers together with French experts are developing domestically-designed gas turbine engine, dubbed Kaveri.......
Indeed, very good news and glad to hear that still 'Kaveri' development for Tejas is going on with the French experts.

It will be great to see one more aircraft with bigger fuel tank, more weapons and two 'Kaveri' engines fitted on it.

Something like Tejas Mk-3.

What say...!

RajG

Loving all the good news poring in about Tejas and HAL. Wonder if it is a concerted effort or a reflected glow of +ve news from MOM/SP1?

"HAL upgrades LCA project to boost production | Financial Express"

sgarg

India suffers from poor standards of journalism. The quoted piece is similarly bad.

Only statements of HAL officers should be taken at face value. The rest cannot be relied upon. I doubt French are working on Kavery. There is no such agreement.

The key takeaway from this piece is that SP1 was manufactured from go-ahead signal to first flight in one year. If this is true, it is definitely indicative of a sorted out production process which bodes well for future deliveries.

I see no problem in the next three of SP series coming out by March 2015, though I want to see more.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Air Force has a requirement for 250 LCA Mark-2s

The Air Force has a requirement for 250 LCA Mark-2s, which the government estimates would be covered by the $12 billion advance order.

"It is absolutely essential to set up an additional military aircraft facility here, as HAL is overloaded for the next 10 years and has become too unwieldy,"

Vivek Rae, former director general (acquisition) in the MoD, said, "India sorely needs aircraft manufacturing capability in the private sector. We cannot afford to put all eggs in the HAL basket."

Subhash Bhojwani, retired Air Force air marshal, agreed an additional manufacturing facility is needed,
Source : India Offers To Spend $12B To Break Monopoly | Defense News | defensenews.com

=====================

IAF is planning to operate 14 sqadron of Tejas of both MK1 & 2 >>

In a written statement tabled in the Lok Sabha on Monday, Antony's deputy, Jitendra Singh, stated, "The MiG-21 and MiG-27 aircrafts of the IAF have already been upgraded and currently equip 14 combat squadrons. These aircraft, however, are planned for being phased out over the next few years and will be replaced by the LCA."

So far, the IAF has committed to inducting only six Tejas squadrons — two squadrons of the current Tejas Mark I, and four squadrons of the improved Tejas Mark II. In addition, the navy plans to buy 40-50 Tejas for its future aircraft carriers.
Source : IAF will buy 14 Tejas squadrons, lowering costs | Business Standard News

================

Like i said before, Its just matter of time when more assembly and manufacturing lines will be open in Gov / Pvt for Tejas ..

IAF`s demand will only increase for home made fighters, MMRCA or FGFA future are uncertain ..

power_monger

Country flag
Some more updates from Sourav Jha

LCA update #7: Geek at Large will put up a post on HAL's Tejas program soon.Watch this section for more info.

LCA update #8: +7 G demonstrated to user. Max g-load +8 G.

LCA update #9: Max speed demonstrated - 1.6 Mach at altitude.

Last edited:

power_monger

Country flag
More Good news comming on tejas capabilities.

I just received confirmation from Saurav Jha that LCA tejas has flown supersonic at all Atitudes.And It has reached its max speed 1.6 mach at a higher altitude.

[tweet] 518713607752650752 [/tweet]

sgarg

I just saw JF-17 take-off and landing videos. One thing that was visible to me was its striking similarity to Mig-21 which was very clear during takeoff and landing runs.

Tejas is a beautiful aircraft and the superior design is clearly visible in its graceful flying.

All we need is to see Tejas in numbers in IAF. This plane will make history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles