ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
'Bajaj, Tata helped Tejas stay afloat'

=======================================================================================================
'Bajaj, Tata helped Tejas stay afloat'
Chethan Kumar, Bangalore:
Parliamentary delegation was keen on scrapping project when the two industrialists stepped in
As India's Light Combat Aircraft 'Tejas' vrooms to take off, one of its project directors is on a trip down the runway to the early 1990s when industry titans Ratan Tata and Bajaj and former Air Marshal Idris Latif saved the ambitious project from being grounded.
Private sector participation is crucial in the growth of aeronautics in the country.Had it not been for these three people, the Tejas would not have come up far enough to get the initial operation clearance (IOC) on January 10, former LCA project director Kota Harinarayan told Deccan Herald. "Ratan Tata, Bajaj and former Air Marshal Idris Latif saved the national project from being a thing of the past...," he said. In 1990-91, Kota said he had attended a review meeting of the LCA programme in Delhi, prior to which a 15-member strong high-level committee including Bajaj, Tata, Latif and some members of Parliament (MPs) had visited facilities in Bangalore to vet the progress team 'Tejas' had made.

"While the review saw some members appreciate the progress, many of them were not in favour of continuing the project.... That is where Bajaj and Tata stepped in and stood by us," he recalls.

Kota, who had worked with the LCA from the 1980s till 2001, quoted Tata's statement in the review: "It will be a shame if the project is shelved. Having seen the technology, I am convinced that it will take off."

He added that Tata's remarks in the review was in sharp contrast to a statement made by one of the MPs (whom Kota didn't wish to name), who had said: "You have done well. But we have to terminate the project!"

Kota also felt Tata's views on greater private industry role in Indian aeronautics sector was now more relevant than ever. "If aeronautics in the country has to grow further, we need the private sector to intervene in a big way. Especially in infrastructure building and R&D. For we cannot wait for projects to come in to put up the infrastructure," he said.

Attractive market

The private players would benefit highly from getting into the sector as India, with its recent successes in projects, was a very attractive market now, Kota said. "They need to know how to use this image in making their 'turnovers'," he said.

Changing of Indian mindset to let in the private sector into aeronautics was a welcome, Kota said, referring to the research activity in aeronautics going on in private educational institutions.

DH News Service
================================================================================================================

Dhairya Yadav

Dhairya: Can you elaborate on the faults in Kavery engine?

You cannot compare India with Pakistan. Pakistan is a Muslim country which has the support of many other Muslim countries. Pakistan has also managed to develop a unique client relationship with China.

India is the ONLY Hindu (if you do not get offended by the term) country with no such advantages as Pakistan.

The lives of pilots is a completely separate issue. IAF has not stopped flying Mig-21 despite high accident rate.

Mr Avinash Chander's statement:

Saurav Jha: And what is the status of the flagship Turbofan development, the Kaveri?

Avinash Chander: Kaveri was tested continuously for 53 hours on a flying test bed in Russia where all the major parameters were proven. There were certain observations which are now being addressed at the lab level. We have put up a proposal to the government to continue. So that we have a viable engine at the end of it. More importantly Kaveri will have to be modified for use in the unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV). As that comes under MTCR and nobody will give us engines. So Kaveri will essentially be a lifeline for that program.

Link: Saurav Jha's Blog : Interview with Dr Avinash Chander, DRDO Chief and Scientific Adviser to Defence Minister
If you wanna discuss, atleast do it with pride! It was you , not me that brought up pakistan !
What Avinash Chander said is concerning the importance of Kaveri (which I agree).
As far as faults of Kaveri is concerned, there is a separate thread at DFI for Kaveri. I don't have enough time to go in detail .

Go read about it there, why it was delinked from tejas etc.
But actually, faulty or not faulty, Kaveri is unfinished.
What you proposed about an unfinished engine being fitted on an airframe is totally bonkers!
Give me one other example like this please.

sgarg

If you wanna discuss, atleast do it with pride! It was you , not me that brought up pakistan !
What Avinash Chander said is concerning the importance of Kaveri (which I agree).
As far as faults of Kaveri is concerned, there is a separate thread at DFI for Kaveri. I don't have enough time to go in detail .

Go read about it there, why it was delinked from tejas etc.
But actually, faulty or not faulty, Kaveri is unfinished.
What you proposed about an unfinished engine being fitted on an airframe is totally bonkers!
Give me one other example like this please.
The interview with Avinash Chander says that he has asked for continuation of Kavery program, and that the defects are being addressed. He also said that all major parameters have been met and more important engine has been continuously tested for reliability.

Yes the engine is in-development. I am not suggesting to fit it into production version of Tejas. However it can still fit an experimental Tejas.

You are confusing pride with knowledge and righteousness. Pride comes only when people are willing to do the right thing. Proud of what? I am proud of soldiers and scientists both.

We know the shortcomings of Indian military also. The import lobbies have constantly undermined local programs. The LCA must have a version with locally built engine, even if that version has limited roles like attack and recon.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Deccan Herald - Saturday-Metrolife

There's a certain thrill in being up close to the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas aircraft. After all, it is the real Indian stuff. And lending more power and demonstrating its capabilities to the hilt is its pilot Group Capt (Retired) Suneet Krishna, who even after 23 years in service, still confesses that he feels the adrenalin rush whenever he gets Tejas off the ground.

After a quick daily inspection, which involves a mechanical and electrical check, Suneet boards the aircraft and before take-off, gives all the required signals for the engine start and data recording unit. Then comes the signal for unplugging the ground connection and finally before take-off, the chalks are pulled out and Suneet signals a thumbs up to say he is ready to soar.

Talking to Metrolife as soon as he landed after his first display for the day on Friday morning, Suneet says, "It's the same feeling as when I first got started and even after all these years, the excitement still remains. When I sit in the aircraft, just before take-off, I am aware that there are so many people watching me, both admiringly and critically, and the only thought that runs in my mind is to give every flight my best shot."

Suneet's eyes instantly brighten up when asked about the capability of the aircraft. "It's a powerful engine," he beams. Suneet dubs the sky as his playground. "I just throw myself in the sky and have loads of fun up there," he smiles. Of all the manoeuvres, the 'Vertical Charlie', 'Barrel Roll', 'Vertical Loop' and 'Inverted Passes' are what I enjoy the most," he shares. However, he also points out that the most challenging part is to slow down after flying at a high speed. "The low-speed pass is when the aircraft flies really low after a spell of high speed. This is to demonstrate the critical combat capability of the aircraft and the spectrum of speed," he explains. Suneet has flown the MiG and Mirage 2000 before handling the Tejas.

Just like any other pilot, Suneet rehearses all the moves in his mind before a flight.
"There's no room for any error and you have to plan the entry and exit in your head and be clear about the sequence of the manoeuvres," he notes.

Suneet's daughter is writing her class 10 exams this year but still makes time to watch her father soar. "She has grown up watching me fly and never loses a chance to brag about her father," Suneet concludes.

Punya Pratap

Country flag
The recent high profile launch of "Make in India" campaign by our PM will give a fresh impetus to domestic defense products such as Tejas and Arjun.... Anyways Modi has always called for a higher percentage of domestic arms so to all the "Naysayers" - Tejas will not only survive but get more than adequate support from the new GoI!

The Stratpost stunts were to preempt the GoI's defense policy framework by having hardcore import lobbyists dump Sh*t on Tejas and Arjun to malign them!

Dont be surprised if Modi brings in one of the major jet engine manufacturer to set up shop in India for Tejas...either through FDI or Joint production we will get the necessary tools to power our jets!!

Dhairya Yadav

The recent high profile launch of "Make in India" campaign by our PM will give a fresh impetus to domestic defense products such as Tejas and Arjun.... Anyways Modi has always called for a higher percentage of domestic arms so to all the "Naysayers" - Tejas will not only survive but get more than adequate support from the new GoI!

The Stratpost stunts were to preempt the GoI's defense policy framework by having hardcore import lobbyists dump Sh*t on Tejas and Arjun to malign them!

Dont be surprised if Modi brings in one of the major jet engine manufacturer to set up shop in India for Tejas...either through FDI or Joint production we will get the necessary tools to power our jets!!
true. He is already planing to meet GE CEO . Could suggest local manufacturing for GE F404. However, i find it unlikely that they will agree so soon.

Punya Pratap

Country flag
true. He is already planing to meet GE CEO . Could suggest local manufacturing for GE F404. However, i find it unlikely that they will agree so soon.
In his inner circles, Jaitley is known to have discussed ways to enhance domestic jet engine manufacturing....either through a JV with GTRE or FDI route. All the Modi's meetings with top CEO's are very well planned out as is his working style. I am sure he will be wooing GE like a proper Gujrati businessman who is a master at hard selling!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
GE-F414IN will be manufactured under license in India with Tot ..

This was discussed in detail in previous pages ..

power_monger

Country flag
DRDO Developed AESA Radar ready

Dr K Tamilmani, the director general of aeronautical systems and Dr S Christopher, programme director (AEW&C) and director, CABS said on Thursday that the laboratory has developed an indigenous Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar that has been fitted on the aircraft and is actually functioning for almost a year. The air-to-air function of the radar has been tested and certified, while air-to-sea functions are being tested.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Whatever floats your boat!
http://cit.edu.in/conference_pdf.php?work=419.pdf

It is so pleasant to learn that project director of Mas orbiter Mission is from Coimbatore Institute of Technology. And He is from Mech Engineering . I too did Mech Engineering there.

It's a great honor for us all from CIT.

It is good to know that nation is not dependent exclusively on IITs for its top tech talents.
Well our guys are floating the boat around mars orbit, So what is wrong in me floating tejas boat.

The mud head you rely on for info on tejas is dead wrong about everything he writes as he knows nothing about aerodynamics or any fluid mechanical principles behind fighter design and simply vomits some brochure stuff to fake expertise.

sgarg

ersakthivel: Any idea why SP1 is facing delays.

I have a feeling the plane is waiting for some critical part, which I believe is radar.

Which radar is going into SP series? Is it the same ELTA 2032 or they decided to fit ELTA 2052 AESA? How easy it is to change the radar?

The news flow indicates that DRDO is testing an AESA radar. It could be for Tejas.

Although I hate change in specifications like this, I can understand the pressures on IAF considering problems with Rafale deal.

Tejas with AESA will be effective against all Pakistani planes.

power_monger

Country flag

I have a feeling the plane is waiting for some critical part, which I believe is radar.

Which radar is going into SP series? Is it the same ELTA 2032 or they decided to fit ELTA 2052 AESA? How easy it is to change the radar?

The news flow indicates that DRDO is testing an AESA radar. It could be for Tejas.

Although I hate change in specifications like this, I can understand the pressures on IAF considering problems with Rafale deal.

i dont think they can go for AESA now.Niether will DRDO/ADA agree for such things. AESA is for Tejas mk2 only.

Punya Pratap

Country flag

The FOC of Tejas is awaiting two critical components - the refueling probe and the quartz radome for the Radar from Cobham, UK

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

DRDO gives Self Clean Chit and Blames UK firm for delays in Tejas FOC | idrw.org

SP-1 is about to fly in a few days says the article.

What is interesting is how the article tries to portray it as DRDO's fault, not writing a single sentence to let the reality be known that the probe and quartz radome were beyond its control.

And the Note section is interesting as well .

This shows how well the paid planted news brigade is operating, for years they maligned the program saying that SP-1 will never fly tejas is below par.

The journo has n't said a single word like,"why should Tejas wait for these two items , and it should be allowed to enter as soon as possible in IAF without them and can be retrofitted later".

So it confirms that almost all FOC parameters are tested and once the remaining 300 flights to test the probe and BVR firing with new radome is done FOC will be done.

Last edited:

sgarg

SP1 is NOT waiting for FOC. The first 20 Tejas are supposed to be IOC-2 standard.

SP1 will not have refueling probe even if radar is changed.

Radome is a smaller problem. Radome can be changed easily later.

There is no way DRDO can suddenly develop AESA and claim it is testing for one year already. These things are not so easy. More likely scenario is import of radar and then making it compatible with other devices which are of local origin.

Tejas is heavily dependent on USA/Israel. Israel is dependent on USA for technology, so it all links to USA. So most critical components of Tejas - engine and radar are basically controlled by USA. That is quite a big leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles