ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Country flag
Everytime an indigenous program is close to completion a monkey wrench is thrown and almost each time our politicians buy the foreign product:

NAG-Javelin(yes I know not exactly same)
LCH-Apache
BMD/AAD/PAD-Patriot

and the list goes on, was there a remote possibility that the MRCA could have been cancelled so this AESA move was made by USA to make sure the deal is done(for an American plane )???

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
vijay jagannathan,

you need to stop making all sorts of personal attacks against others on the forum and same goes for everyone one else. any more such posts which have slight hint of any personal attack against any one will be deleted so dont crib later.

we have said this earlier, DFI is not to vent out frustrations but do discuss sanely and we are unlike other forums who over look all such things or tend to prosper on such insanity, DFI has a dignified way to discussions, follow that!

thanks.

Country flag
http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/07/report-elta-or-eads-to-help-build-tejas.html

Report: Elta Or EADS To Help Build Tejas AESA, Project Codenamed "Uttam"

India's home-grown AESA radar effort will soon finalise a developent partner, reports The Indian Express. According to the report, a progressive downselect since December -- when the DRDO first invited bids -- has come down to Israel's Elta and EADS Defence & Security, following the elimination of Selex, Phazotron and Thales. A recent Livefist post on the Tejas AESA is here. Oh, and by the way, I hear the LCA AESA is being developed under something called "Project Uttam".

Is EADS bid still good??

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/07/report-elta-or-eads-to-help-build-tejas.html

Report: Elta Or EADS To Help Build Tejas AESA, Project Codenamed "Uttam"

India's home-grown AESA radar effort will soon finalise a developent partner, reports The Indian Express. According to the report, a progressive downselect since December -- when the DRDO first invited bids -- has come down to Israel's Elta and EADS Defence & Security, following the elimination of Selex, Phazotron and Thales. A recent Livefist post on the Tejas AESA is here. Oh, and by the way, I hear the LCA AESA is being developed under something called "Project Uttam".

Is EADS bid still good??

I am getting this feeling that there is something fishy, maybe I am wrong and I hope I am wrong.
Whenever we do any new projects, we also tie up with some development partner, like in this case Elta. What does this mean? Does this mean we basically ask someone else to develop or do major part of development and then call it indigenous. I heard we had so many partners for Tejas project as well.

Does anyone know this; are we developing anything or not?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I am getting this feeling that there is something fishy, maybe I am wrong and I hope I am wrong.
Whenever we do any new projects, we also tie up with some development partner, like in this case Elta. What does this mean? Does this mean we basically ask someone else to develop or do major part of development and then call it indigenous. I heard we had so many partners for Tejas project as well.

Have you really followed this thread?

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well seems like people want to fly LCA MK II in 12 months. They must be seriously out of their mind. The GE 414 IN56 is not even developed yet. The new GE engine has higher thrust and modified gearboxes to accommodate inside the LCA. The first delivery of the GE 414 IN56 will be only in 2014. Only after that the calculations can be made for air-inlet design and based on it the LEVCONS/LERX can be placed in such a way not to disturb the airflow. Then the missile trials must also take place in order to see wether the missile plume smoke does not deny the engine with air supply.

http://www.indiastrategic.in/topstories728.htm

GE will supply 18 units of the latest version of the engine beginning 2014, with improved Full Authority Digital Electronic Control (FADEC), single Crystal blade design, single engine safety features, and other electronic advances. The basic engine design, as it is used now for instance on the US Navy's F/A 18 E/F Super Hornets, would stay the same but as new innovations are developed and adopted, they would also be passed on to India.
So it is impossible for the LCA MK II to fly before 2014. Period.

Rahul Singh

Country flag

It is for you to find the others, i precisely talk about 'Uttam'. You should be aware of LDRE's progress in UTTAM project even when no development partner is finalized yet. LRDE is already upgrading usable sections from existing MMR and developing new. All LRDE wants is one partner which can supply T/R module for X band AESA and processor. In addition LRDE wants development partner to assist in integration and testing. This 'Uttam' will be semi-indigenous product and nobody ever called fully indigenous, did any? Small time available is the reason why it is being developed at semi-indigenous. Otherwise if MOD had invested in X band decades ago you might have been seeing fully indigenous one. Since its not case hence that will not be the case.

Now its up o you to get the idea or believe what you believe. All i will say when design of any hardware is indigenous the product is called indigenous. And any sub-system which is imported one can be replaced any time in future when required. But question is why re-invent the wheel. Why make the product commercially unattractive?

icecoolben

Not only selex but all the others failed to deposit funds required for the co-development venture. One thing thats necessary is source codes for the radar, which as part of the co-development will be Indian. That way atleast we escape this mmrca fiasco of radar tot upto the level permitted by government. The compliant firms have accepted atleast on paper to provide what we need to maintain autonomy.

LRDE is developing T/R Modules of Indian made for AWACS project, in time they can be derived and used for AMCA.

Illusive

Country flag
Beacuse XYZ took 3 years is it necessary we must too considering they don't have china and pakis pissing at their front door? We took 27 years for mark 1 why don't they follow suit from now on? There cannot be any more excuses. Close down the program if Mark 2 does not hit the sky in 12 months. Stop wasting tax payers money.
By your saying to close down MK2 if not completed in time, then in India nothing is done on time. So should we go and stop everything. If the govt. shared the same view, we wouldn't have seen LCA, and it didn't took LCA 27 yrs. LCA is not perfected and MK2 is a step to achieving that. What, you wanna waste tax payers money on foreign maal but reluctant to spent it on our own programme.

gogbot

DRDO has publicly announced why it needs a development partner countless times.

They are required to develop the AESA Antenna for use with the Radar

Monday, February 01, 2010
EXCLUSIVE: AESA Programme For Tejas Scans For Development Partner
India's homegrown AESA radar programme appears to be gathering pace. The Bangalore-based Electronics & Radar Development Establishment (LRDE), a laboratory under the DRDO, has invited bids from global radar houses to be the development partner (DP) for India's in-house active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar for the LCA Tejas programme. In a tender issued on December 4 last year, LRDE wants the partnership to be initiated with the supply of an Active Array Antenna Unit (AAAU) supplied by the development partner chosen.

According to the bid invitation, India wants the development partner to be responsible for "detailed design, development and realisation" of (a) antenna panel constisting of main antenna, guard antenna and sidelobe cancellation antenna, (b) transmit/receive modules/groups, (c) RF distribution network consisting of RF manifold/combiners, RF interface, (d) antenna/beam control chain consisting of T/R control and T/R group control, and (e) array calibration/BITE among other areas. The final requirement in the comprehensive list of ten requirements from the development partner is listed as "AAAU Integration on Tejas A/c", confirming that the radar is indeed for a future tranche of the Tejas, or possibly, the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA).

"DP (development partner) must have experience in design, development, integration, testing and flightevaluation of AESA Radar systems for fighter class of aircraft. DP must ensure that the items/components used for the development of AAAU are not protected by International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR). DP must have delivered AESA class of operational systems for fighter class of aircraft meeting delivery schedules of the international customers," the bid invitation states.

Photos by Shiv Aroor / 1. Raytheon APG-79 AESA antenna modules, Naval Air Station Lemoore, USA & 2. LCA Tejas at Aero India 2009

vijay jagannathan

vijay jagannathan,

you need to stop making all sorts of personal attacks against others on the forum and same goes for everyone one else. any more such posts which have slight hint of any personal attack against any one will be deleted so dont crib later.

we have said this earlier, DFI is not to vent out frustrations but do discuss sanely and we are unlike other forums who over look all such things or tend to prosper on such insanity, DFI has a dignified way to discussions, follow that!

thanks.
See its like this-- People who are in positions of responsibility need to act and act in a given time frame and with time proven and validated technology. We are just taking the first steps in major R and D in defence. Therefore it will not and has not instilled the kind of confidence in anyone looking at national defence. And therefore there is a reluctance and of course the bias for foreign products which has been ingrained from years of overseas shopping. This habit is a vicious cycle and difficult to break and will take another generation maybe. So the best thing for india to do is
Invest heavily in R and D to be done on the sidelines
involve a public-private partnership and not have blind faith in public or private entities
Involve Lookheed martin or EADS or whatever as a partner
Slowly wean away when you not just think but have proven beyond doubt that now you can go it alone
Brahmos in this aspect is a real winner.
And when doing this avoid testing Nuclear bombs.

--- so thats why when there is a Indian development and of course pressure to buy it there is also a corresponding foreign purchase in the same kind/class as a surety.

SpArK

SORCERER
Alenia Aermacchi tests low radar cross-section kit for M-346

Alenia Aermacchi has completed a low radar cross-section research project on its M-346 Master advanced jet trainer and light combat aircraft, the company says.:twitch:

A series of unspecified external airframe modifications and material applications were tested to reduce M-346's radar cross-section. The work was especially focused on the aircraft's frontal area, including its two engine air inlets.
Conceived as an easy to install and remove kit, the enhancements were assessed last year by Alenia Aermacchi in partnership with Pisa-based Ingegneria dei Sistemi (IDS). The work drew on the latter's previous research experience linked to other naval, ground and air programmes and was supported using funds from Italy's four-year national defence research plan.

© Alenia Aermacchi

The kit was first applied to aircraft models and ground tested at IDS's facilities, before a final configuration was approved for flight-testing. Sources say that during the latter campaign a modified M-346 demonstrated unchanged flying and performance characteristics, with no operational limitations encountered across its entire flight envelope.
A low radar cross-section kit could be applied to a light-attack variant of the M-346 already being developed by Alenia Aermacchi.

Military Aircraft and Military Aviation News from Flightglobal

johnee

When Chandrayaan was conducted, the Paks claimed it to be a flop and a 'waste of Indian Taxpayer's money'. This sounds very similar to the apparent bogey of LCA is 'wasting taxpayer's money'...

p2prada

Trimming landing gear of 6.5 ton fighter by 500kg! Possible only if MK-2 chooses to take off with detachable rollers and land a like glider, just like Me 163.
Landing Gear including the entire undercarriage was overweight by 1.5 tons. That's the reason EADS was roped in as a development partner in 2009. Even today Landing gear is overweight by 500kgs.

Redesigned nose as of today means increasing length with plug. Changed intake means increasing radius in horizontal axis and few more auxiliary inlets. Changes for F-414 will be internal. Wing will largely remain unchanged except LEVCON.
Look at it realistically. Saab with all its expertise is still a little away from fielding a fully functional NG platform even after starting in 2008. The LCA Mk2 is not even on the drawing board yet. Do you really expect the LCA Mk2 to actually follow the schedule. Look at Satish's post, it came as a surprise to me too. F414s delivery start in 2014. Unless LCA Mk2's continue using F404s initially I don't realistically see LCA Mk2 following schedule.

In dog fight main objective always remains getting behind foe's 6 o'clcok and turning with turn is considered as worst maneuver as it bleeds energy very fast especillay of pure delta. But this is not the first and last maneuver in the book. High Yo Yo is one alternative and very good especially for deltas because they at advantage there.
You don't expect the enemy to shoot you, do you? If the LCA cannot get into the enemy's 6 o'clock then the enemy fighter will. You only talked of 2 manuevers out of a thousand. Sure there will be some maneuvers that LCA may excel at. But Deltas are supposed to be great dog fighters. Both M2000 as well as Gripen are great dog fighters.

Plain speculation and negative one. There were some in 90s who used to say LCA will not even fly. There are some who says, FGFA will fail as a stealth fighters because Russians can only build fighters with large RCS not with LO features. Do not not risk factor applies with them? Can you say for sure Russian 5G design will be better than US or even Chinese because some says Chinese stealth tech is stolen US technology? What if China in reality has stolen US 5g tech? Would not FGFA or even PAK-FA put IAF at great disadvantage at both fronts?
You are pitting proven designers(Sukhoi, Lockheed) against unproven designers(ADA and Chengdu). Also that comment about China stealing F-22 tech is not real. The Americans keep their tech in highly secure data banks. I doubt even the President has seen them.

More reasons to expect for better than otherwise. DRDO is now delivering. Situation has changed for good will change even more for better.
Except Brahmos DRDO has delivered nothing extraordinarily unique. Brahmos is mainly Russian tech too. AAD and PAD are already in existence and the radar used is Israeli. Nothing awesome about Arjun, Akash, ALH etc. Superior versions of all are in existence. Fact is I am not pinning anything on DRDO until they successfully deliver a platform that even ACM will not criticize.

IAF is not a single fighter type air force, it has available spots for imported one. Mere success/failure of LCA and AMCA will not seal faith of IAF. But their success would change IAF's faith, Navy's faith and Indian's faith forever. Worth taking chance.
Yes. But for some reason ACM is visibly unhappy with LCA. Heck, Navy Admiral actually came out to the media and said they don't want LCA but will induct it out of patriotism.

No. Buying defence products from out side and developing then buying them locally doesn't compare to MBA from IIM and MBA from start up college respectively. Unlike your comparison, here interests are permanently mutual and reciprocal and will bear fruits forever. If IAF invests in local it will face some problem initially but in time it will get perfect product for its need. But with imports IAF will always be compromising, sometime on requirements sometime on budget.
All that will not help win wars. If China invades by the time you fix problems, then we will be inducting and operationalizing J-20s in Lohegaon AFB.

If anything in IAF is reliable then it is Mirage? Jaguar did had its share of criticism. But this is not the thread to discuss that in detail. Whole point was, new Jaguars and new engines (in upgraded one's) will have much life left when they will be decommissioned. So why put so much money specially when unlike Tejas spin-off/pay-back, money invested in Jaguars will be totally unrecoverable.
Money invested in Jaguars or LCA is not going anywhere. Military is an unrecoverable expenditure. Jaguar upgrades will happen in India. Also, finances shouldn't be squandered away over a useless platform just to save up on a useful one. A second squadron is entirely useless.

USN did not engaged because they were not presenting any considerable threat. Whenever they did, they were intercepted by jets flying from carriers.
2 Flankers flew over a carrier and a Chinese sub reached firing distance. Both are threats.

Mig-21s shot down F-16s during a war game but during Red USAF officer said they were operation at huge restrictions. Will know about that carrier incident soon.
It was smart use of Mig-21s against legacy F-15s during Cope India 2004. They broke formation and merged when the F-15s were busy against M2000 and Su-30k. They fired BVRs and ran away. We will know nothing about the other exercises since they are no longer being revealed to the media.

Then what? Radar is a major ask from IAF in LCA.
I understand radar will take time. So, it is not important. Radars and other avionics can be upgraded with time, but not the airframe. And it is the airframe that pisses me off.

Only engine and Radar was IAF's call. Rest of improvements about which we came to know during AI 09 was ADA's proposal.
We don't know that. IAF is involved in Mk2 design. So, its not just engine and radar.

IAF only said don't want LCA with present thrust/engine. A mere re-engining doesn't shoots MK-1 to MK-2 there is a comprehensive package.
Yes. And deliveries aren't any time soon for Mk2. IAF is not interested in MK1.

Tejas will fire BVR just like F-16s. In any air to air combat Tejas will engage F-16s at number advantage or else will escape. Same applies to J-10. However i don't consider it a threat as long as it uses chinese BVR missiles.
That isn't enough. What if the F-16s have come for air interdiction missions inside our borders or even Chinese J-10s. Running away is not an option then. The army will not keep quiet if they get bombed because the IAF could not match the adversary.

Imported hardwares are neither cheap nor easily acquirable specially when need is most, recall Kargil days.........One black dot and SAAB will be banned just like Bofors. What then other than IAF begging DRDO to keep them airworthy.
That's the reason we are asking for full ToT for airframe and spares manufacturing in India itself. DRDO is made to serve the armed forces. There is no question of IAF begging, IAF only demands. DRDO must provide or shut down. There is no alternative.

So can do heavier fighters much better than Gripen in addition to heavy duty role which Gripen can't do. So why don't dump Gripen and buy them?
It would be funny if costs of operation of Gripen turns out to be cheaper than the LCA. Heck they said LCA will cost upwards of $40million now. Also I am not against the LCA program itself. I am against stuffing LCA down services throats without satisfying their more modern requirements.

What I am saying is since IAF has already asked for 20 LCA Mk1 then go ahead with it. But sticking 20 more down their throats and then having a Mk2 as IOC in 2015-16 period is as stupid as we possible can be.

So, until 2016, IAF will have 40 Mk1 with FOC and they will again renew testing the Mk2 from its IOC. Just Wow.

No i did not. I only pointed to its usefulness in present time. BTW A-10 and Jaguar are different and i had used Jaguar for something not A-10.
The Jags are pretty much our A-10s.

No, i am only saying don't invest in re-engined Jaguar and new one specially when a better replacement will be fully ready in 2 years. Mature or not, any day down the line it will be replaced by new jet and more likely date is 2018 .
Building CAS aircraft isn't easy. LCA isn't a better replacement since it is a Delta. Deltas don't do well in CAP even if you rig them up with equipment.

Nitesh has posted one article regarding F-16 which gives me enough reasons to distrust.
What if LCA turns out to be worse?

MBA logic doesn't applies here. A students pays a college and gets an MBA. Relation, 2 years max. IAF pays ADA and gets something. DRDO improves next one using that money provides better this time to IAF. Relation, forever.
Oh! It does apply here. And your statement only helps my case. Heck, a student wouldn't join a startup even for only 2 years. But you want IAF to join a startup for 40 years and build up a, LOL, relationship. Why don't we just do that with Pakistan and China and get it over with? Relationships are sweet, but they don't win wars as well.

You could say IAF is the master and DRDO is the servant in this relationship. The relationship of both parties has to be proven first before a relationship can be established. IAF is proven, DRDO is sadly, not.

Remember USAF dumped Boeing and chose LM F-22. USAF had a more mature relationship with Boeing but they dumped them as fast as the wind because LM came out with a better platform that actually suited their requirements. The truth is the YF-23 is much more superior to the F-22 in all respects except agility. The YF-23 had more powerful engines, better stealth, better payload and range, better avionics. But it did not fit USAF requirements simply because Boeing forgot about dog fights. If you cannot deliver as stipulated, then don't deliver at all.

p2prada

@Vijay;

LCA Mk2 cannot fly in 12 months. Work is stated to start only in 2012 and first flight by 2014. Induction by 2016(IOC).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles