Actress Lisa Ray wins the battle against incurable cancer(Multiple Myloma)

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/272297_I-have-incurable-cancer--Lisa-Ray

I have incurable cancer: Lisa Ray

STAFF WRITER 12:55 HRS IST

New Delhi, Sept 9 (PTI) Actress Lisa Ray, who played the beautiful but tragic widow Kalyani in Deepa Mehta's Oscar nominated film 'Water', has revealed through her blog that she is suffering from a rare and incurable form of cancer.

The 37-year-old actress who started blogging to give people an insight into her struggle with the disease, first broke the news in a post on 7 September.

"I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma on June 23rd.

Started my first cycle of treatment July 2nd. Not long ago," wrote the model-turned actress who first shot to fame in India with the racy Bombay Dyeing advertisement which saw her in a black swim suit.

Ray who was born to a Bengali father and a Polish mother in Canada has made clear her plans to continue working and fight back the disease.

"First the facts. Myeloma is incurable...I believe it can be cured.

Last edited:

Pintu

Lisa Ray grappling with incurable cancer- Hindustan Times

Lisa Ray grappling with incurable cancer

Agencies
New Delhi, September 09, 2009

First Published: 13:37 IST(9/9/2009)
Last Updated: 14:33 IST(9/9/2009)

Lisa Ray is suffering from Multiple Myeloma, a rare and incurable cancer of the white blood cells. She revealed the tragic news on her blog, The Yellow Diaries.

The 37-year-old actress, who started her career with modeling and first made her debut in Bollywood in 2001 with the film Kasoor has left her friends, colleagues and fans shocked and concerned. Here are some excerpts from Lisa's blog…

On September 3, she wrote: I've started this blog to give people an insight into my life. The yellow diaries will be a place where I write about my personal joureney.

On September 8, she posted: I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma on June 23rd and started my treatment on July 2nd…not long ago.

More excerpts: For me, it was a relief to hear what was wrong. The plasma cells in my bone marrow were rampaging, multiplying, sqeezing out the red blood cells and it was time to begin doing something about it. You just know when something is kosher with your body. When I got the news, I didn't react and didn't cry. I am an actress, believe me, I can be dramatic," she adds.

My bone marrow started sending me messages a few months ago, she wrote. It was then that the actress decided to undergo a medical examination.

Lisa, who had also been voted as 'The Most Beautiful Woman of the Millenium' is currently in Canada. She was most recently seen in Deepa Mehta's Water, where she played a young widow. Lisa also plays a lesbian in Shamim Sharif's I Can't Think Straight, which is due for release on September 11.

Lisa, who has attached herself to various causes through her career, now plans to focus the spotlight to Myeloma and cancer awareness. "I am going to do everything I can to create awareness on cancer," she says.

The actress has managed to keep herself optimistic despite the tragic discovery. She hopes and believes that she can be cured. In her words: "I believe it can be cured. That's the dirty realist in me."

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
have to give it to her she is optimistic as hell enjoy you life to the full ray

Pintu

Yes, F-14, Kudos for her courage, hope may she be able to defeat the death.

Regards

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Shocking to the core!!!! God Speed to her!

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
"I believe it can be cured. That's the dirty realist in me." tragic she might be wrong this time i am hoping she is not

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Sad to hear someone succumbing to this dreadful disease.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
How can someone so beautiful suffer such travesty.
Karma's a b****.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
how true paji how true

Pintu

Lisa Ray, thanks India for support.................

Image Copyright:Bennett Coleman & Co. Ltd

I blame you India, for the love: Lisa Ray - News & Interviews - Bollywood - ENTERTAINMENT - The Times of India

I blame you India, for the love: Lisa Ray

TNN 11 September 2009, 02:38pm IST

Actress Lisa Ray, currently battling cancer, is overwhelmed by the love and support she has received from India in her time of crisis.

She’s currently aiming for a stem cell transplant and to be symptom free by December. Sleepless at 6:30 am, she blames the steroids and India.

She says, “And I blame you India. You have sent me so much love. And advice. So I went through each and every message. Like the good, dutiful half-Bengali daughter I am. Except I’m not studying for my medical finals, I’m looking at each and every word you have sent.”

Lisa blogs, “I’m humbled. ... The point is to connect and share. English is not everyone’s first language. Nor should it be. I wish I could speak more languages. But the language of the marrow. Now that’s one that penetrates. Thank you for teaching me the goodness of being alive.”

She shares some thoughts on alternative therapies. “I was in Kerala on a yoga/ayurvedic retreat when I had to have my first blood transfusion this year. That was in March. I’ve been practicing yoga for 10 years now. I go to Dharamsala for month-long silent meditation retreats at Tushita Meditation Centre once a year. And then on the other end I chant Mantras for hours. I also practice vipassana, Metta, Shambala and as many other meditation techniques as I can find. My cupboards are full of naturopathic, Chinese and homeopathic remedies. I consider myself a seeker and a student of many spiritual traditions. I’ll write about this one day, but I suspect it might be as full of capers and misadventures as deep insights.”

I’m an ‘alternative’ girl in every way, Lisa quips. “However, when I started my treatments, which is not long back, I did not want to mix. My hematologist, Dr Ahmed Galal put me on a relatively aggressive, first line treatment because he got that look in his eye: we’re getting membership into the FULL REMISSION club. But you know, it takes time. Like getting into the Breach Candy, or Otter’s Club. You apply then you gotta be careful which members you mix with as you go for your interviews. Slowly, you learn more about the club, the conditions you need to fulfil. Then you’re in and believe me: even an earthshake won’t get me out!”
“So right now,” she says, “I’ve chosen not to mix therapies. There are even some things I love like green tea and grapefruit (well, ok, no one loves green tea!) that I can’t have as it inhibits the work of the drugs I’m on. I have faith in this course of action. I am aiming for a stem cell transplant and to be symptom free by December. Then focus on alternative therapies to rebuild full, wholesome health.”

The actress, who’s getting puffy on steroids, writes, “I’m getting so healthy and so round after years of being depleted and thin. So much that when I walk around into corner stores now, the owners start to suspect I might be a high school prankster with sticky fingers. ‘Only three kids in here at one time’ the guy behind the counter told me the other day. Baby cheeks getting me in trouble.”

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
not everyone has a long life, not everyone knows how soon and when they would die. now that she does, at least she can spend time on herself, be with people who matter the most in her life, and cherish the little little moments of life that we otherwise completely forget in the rat race world we live in today. lisa, if you have not, then go and watch anand - rajesh khanna starer, and the way you come out as an optimist, i am sure the movie is only going to be an inspiration for you.

difficult moments indeed, but keep enjoying all that you have.

GOD bless.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...y-to-re-embrace-India/articleshow/5846468.cms

Lisa Ray cancer-free and ready to re-embrace India
TIMES NEWS NETWORK & AGENCIES, Apr 23, 2010, 01.56am IST

MUMBAI: Ten months after telling the world that she was suffering from an incurable cancer, Indo-Canadian actor Lisa Ray has announced that she is cancer-free at the moment. In an interview coinciding with the start of the 8th Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles, which opened with her latest-starrer, 'Cooking with Stella', Ray has said that she had ''enjoyed being bald'' and is ready to embrace her second home, India, with new vigour.

She told a foreign news agency that she is feeling ''reborn'' after a stem cell transplant in January to treat multiple myeloma. The glossy-haired star of Bollywood movies, 'Water' and 'Kasoor', showed off her new short-hair look.

"This has hijacked my life for long enough and now I am going to take matters into my own hands," the 38-year-old Ray has been quoted as saying. ''It's really been a kind of rebirth,'' she said of her radical stem cell transplant treatment. ''It's like being reborn from the inside out. It's a big cleaning from the middle of your marrow and spreading out.''

Multiple myeloma is a cancer of white blood cells that attacks and destroys bone and which more commonly afflicts people in their mid-60s. There is currently no known cure and treatment is focused on containment. Said Jaslok Hospital's Dr M Basade, who has been using the stem cell therapy to cure multiple myeloma, ''The cancer goes into remission for up to four to five years after one round of stem cell treatment. The treatment can be repeated thereafter.''

As multiple myeloma affects the patient's immunity, he\she becomes weak. But Ray, who was born in Canada to an Indian father and Polish mother, chose to fight back, and chronicle her battle in a painfully honest yet humourous blog that has won her even more admirers.

Speaking to reporters in Los Angeles, she said, ''My hair is coming back and it is looking awesome right now. I am just loving it. It is the sleekest and most well-put together I have ever looked.''

''It was the best thing I could have done,'' she said. ''I am planning to divide my time between Mumbai and Canada now. I felt really re-embraced and re-connected with a world and people in that world that I had missed, and it feels right to start really re-engaging and spending a lot more time there.''

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag

Hindustan Times - Ten months after being diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, actress Lisa Ray says she is cancer free.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles