A bit of Outback for the uninitiated.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
The following are some picture of the outback. These were taken on my last visit to ‘the big smoke down south’.
They give a reasonable example of the type of region I hang out in. Actually I live another 80 odd Km from all this grand form of human activity.
Sorry but no kangaroos o emus about that day. Kangaroos tend to come out around dusk and early morning. You get a few as road kills depending on feed and time of year. When they feed on the road edges they also take the attitude they own the road as well. This does not help their life expectancy unfortunately. Emus don’t often come close to the roads and occasionally you will see a family group in the distance.

The following 3 pictures are made up from a mosaic of several shots.
Unfortunately the size has shrunk a bit, (e.g. from 6000 pixels wide to 600 pixels wide)

All of these 3 panoramic sets link up as along single picture. It was just easier to put then together as 3 separate groups.

Looking south-east toward the El Alamein army camp and civilised section of this training area. Includes the Baxter Centre. The Baxter centre will be returned to the army at some bureaucratic time in space. El Alamein is the top half of a very large training area which also includes live fire areas. The other half is called Cultana. That is the name of one of the old pastoral stations purchased by the army.
Take it from me El Alamein is the nice section. I have plodded across the Cultana range a bit too often for my personal liking.

This set is faces more south-south-east from the above and links to the left hand side of the above.

This one faces more south toward a place/region called Lincoln Gap. It is a gap between two sets of hills/ranges. Rail, road and water pipeline run through here.

This is a picture approaching one of the many creeks. Yes dry as the proverbial bone. Occasionally there is water but it is rare, water in it is counted in blue moons.
Don’t be deluded about the trees and vegetation. In many areas there is a lot of theses trees. Most are 2 - 3 m high. They form a thick foliage cover and it is not easy to navigate or see much in these areas. I have known numnuts with GPSs getting confused and misplaced.
The creek here is called Mayall Creek.

There are a few other picture in my album here. If I get some other interesting ones I will add them.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Sir, Nice panoramic pics of outback. Please continue posting them.

The stitches in the panoramic pictures are quite obvious. Do you do the stitching manually or use a software?.

I also take a lot of pictures (usually 8) and stitch them together using software (AutoPanoPro) to make panoramas and there are no traces of stitching. Here is a panoramic picture that I took of Lisbon, Portugal.:D

Ratus Ratus

Professional
The stitching is obvious as for what I use these for the "niceties" are not relevant. The main thing I look at is the representation of the land, so it is less for the eye pleasure.

These are a bit rough as well as I was just standing on the side of the main highway/road and holding a basic 'el cheapo' digital camera by hand, no nice tripod and a bad zoom feature. It was spur of the moment so to speak.
When you have a 4 - 5 hour drive you don't stop to take pictures much.
I suppose the big issue here is I travel through this on a regular basis so its sort of old hat and not wow type country.

I will try to get a sequence of shots over the main route I travel so those that don't know the place can see the many changes in country side.

Your panoramic picture is very good. It is a pity it is limited by the size restrictions here.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
Singh:
Every corner on that road is a blind corner. That means a road train or B-Train could be just about to appear coming fast at you.
No fast car driving here. Besides the road is only 2 trucks wide, not a lot of room for a mistake.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Sir, a request for you. If you could also take pictures of people and houses of the country side and post it here, that will be great. It will give us a look into real country side of Australia.

Thanks

Jeypore

Man Mr. Ratus, I knew you were a loner, but you are really out there!!!:Laie_22::sAni_babymonkey2:

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Very Nice Pics Sir!
Sir you have posted more pics in your album please past them here

Ratus Ratus

Professional
This is an old station building. It is either one of the out station buildings for Lincoln Gap Station or Lincoln Park Station, though I suspect it is part of Lincoln Park.

In Google Earth:
This building is at : Lat 32°36'54.81"S, Long 137°35'3.07"E
Lincoln Park homestead is at : Lat 32°37'54.97"S, Long 137°39'40.66"E
Lincoln Gap homestead is at : Lat 32°36'26.15"S, Long 137°34'39.17"E

Ratus Ratus

Professional
All these pics of dirt and hills and not one pic of a pub ... and you call yourself an Aussie.
Colonel, you have it all wrong. One has to initiate them into the realities of dirt and dust so they full understand the significance of the pub.
Besides I did not wish to corrupt their young minds too early. :D

I will try for a few classic pubs next trip. Good old real country ones not the flashy city horrors.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
Several kilometres south of Port Augusta. View east to the Southern Flinders ranges. To the west is Spencer Gulf.
Just inform of the trees, (middle picture) is the Adelaide to Port Augusta rail line. This is part of the Adelaide to Perth and Adelaide to Darwin rail lines.

As you get closer to Port Pirie and south, the region changes to wheat farming. This picture is taken at a location called Rocky Creek. Rocky Creek is just a small dry depression on the ground.

For the benefit of some, (no specific name) this is a picture of the watering hole, (pub) at a small place called Lochiel, population, about 20 – 40. There is not much else in the place.
There was a salt works but that has been pulled down.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
The green landscape is quite serene.
I wish I had the liberty to drive around to all corners of my country.

I prefer the dirt and the mountains to the pubs. :D
Nature makes me all philosophical, and I start hating the monotonous life I have to live in the city.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
Those nice green mountain ranges will be brown in about 2 months time. In fact nearly everything will be brown.

Well little country pubs are interesting. A heck of a difference to the city slick ones. Many have good meals as well.

Oh and don't think my life is all play .. it can get boring just as anything can. It is up to you to keep it going and enjoyable.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Oh and don't think my life is all play .. it can get boring just as anything can. It is up to you to keep it going and enjoyable.
I didn't for an instant think that.
This is life. The city is just a robotic workshop.

Pintu

Sir, the scenic beauties are really great , kudos for uploading , enjoying each of the images.

Regards

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
^^^
:rofl:
Well... thats quite not the sense I meant.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
I really need to keep up with this thread:(
Nice pics sir

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles