6th Generation Aircraft Discussion

SKC

Country flag
Don't worry, China will come out with the same thing in a year.
Not any more. There's sericeous restriction on outflow of data now.

Most chinese data-breaches are cut down now.

By the time world catch on to 6th Gen fighter production models, US would have already been flying 7th for over a decade.

blackjack

Country flag
We dont even know the requirements for a 6th gen or 7th gen aircrafts other than what those technologies are and if the countries are able to produce it. Example the U.S. wants to put 3 stream cycle engines on F-35s and NGAD but for Russia they say there are two different 3 stream cycle engines and detonation engines ground tested and still in development. Are countries switching to photonic or quantum radars? whats the progress?

The Mimic

Country flag
BAE Systems and Mitsubishi to cooperate on Japanese Air Force F-X 6th-gen fighter jet
Aviation Defense News May 2022 aerospace air force industry
POSTED ON MONDAY, 16 MAY 2022 10:39

According to Ryo Nemoto in Nikkei Asia, Mitsubishi is in discussions to have BAE Systems join the development of a next-generation fighter jet that the Japanese government aims to deploy in 2035. Japan and the U.K. have already decided to collaborate on engine parts and aim to hammer out the specifics of expanded cooperation by the end of 2022. The development of the F-X allows Japan to catch up to and counter Russian and Chinese stealth fighters.
BAE_Systems_and_Mitsubishi_to_cooperate_on_Japanese_Air_Force_F-X_6th-gen_fighter_jet.jpg

BAE Systems and Mitsubishi to cooperate on Japanese Air Force F X 6th gen fighter jetArtist rendering of Japan's planned 6th-generation fighter. (Picture source: Japan's Ministry of Defense)

Let us recall that BAE Systems is already involved in the development of the U.K.'s next fighter aircraft, the Tempest. Seeing that both had similar timetables, Japan and the U.K. have decided there would be significant benefits to having a joint development effort, including cost reductions.

The Mitsubishi F-X (unofficially called F-3) is a sixth-generation stealth fighter in development for the Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF). It is Japan's first domestically developed stealth fighter jet and will replace the Mitsubishi F-2 by the mid–2030s. Its development is to also bolster the nation's defense industry and potentially enter the international arms market amid Japan's change in defense posture. In October 2020, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries was selected as the lead developer.

The F-X program began when the United States banned exports of the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor as part of the 1997 Obey amendment in order to safeguard its technology. With Japan no longer able to purchase the F-22, a domestically developed fighter was chosen instead to replace Japan's aging fleet of fighter jets. Between December 2009 and August 2010, the Ministry of Defense conducted a study of developing a future fighter jet to replace the F-2. The research conducted called for a new fighter jet that would be a generation ahead of the contemporary fifth-generation fighter. The concept fighter was named the i3 Fighter (Informed, Intelligent, Instantaneous). Some technology and capabilities the concept fighter is to possess include advanced radar systems to counter stealth technology of other fighters, receiving targeting information from other platforms (drones, fighters, and/or airborne early warning and control aircraft), use of fly-by-optics (much like the Kawasaki P-1) to process information faster, stealth technology, gallium nitride semiconductors to improve radar performance, and a new, more powerful engine.

Much of the development of the F-X program correlates with the development of the Mitsubishi X-2 Shinshin. The development of the X-2 demonstrator allows Japan to obtain new information and develop new technology related to their next-generation fighter jet. The X-2 made its maiden flight on 22 April 2016. The X-2's testing concluded in March 2018.

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries will be the main developer of the new jet. The engine is being handled by IHI and Rolls-Royce, which began work in January 2022 toward a demonstration aircraft to test performance.

Japan will require the 6th generation of fighter aircraft to have systems that integrate radar, missiles and other capabilities as well as a high degree of stealth. The ASM-3 has been developed for the F-X to use as the F-2 gets phased out. The F-X will be armed with a microwave weapon to disrupt incoming missiles. The microwave weapon is activated from the stealth fighter's AESA radar through the use of electron tube amplifiers capable of high efficiency and miniaturization.

Emphasis will also be placed on ensuring interoperability between Japan and the U.S. Japan will determine the scope of joint development with the U.S. and U.K. companies by the end of the year.

Japan plans on introducing unmanned combat aerial vehicles (UCAV) that can operate alongside the F-X, called the Combat Support Unmanned Aircraft. The drone program is similar to the Kratos XQ-58 Valkyrie or Boeing Airpower Teaming System project in which the drone acts as a "loyal wingman" to the controlling aircraft. There are two versions of the drone: one that is a sensor carrier and scouts for targets, and another that fires munitions and directs incoming missiles away from the parent aircraft. Both versions share the same design as each other. The drones are expected to be fully developed by the 2030s.

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida met with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson in the U.K. on May 5 and the two agreed in principle to cooperate on future fighter programs by the end of the year. Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi also explained Japan-U.K. cooperation during a May 4 meeting in Washington with U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin.

Japan's development of the F-X, along with China, India and South Korea's stealth fighter programs, are noted as an increasing trend of Asian aerospace industries challenging Western and Russian dominance in the global fighter jet industry

LINK: https://www.airrecognition.com/inde...panese-air-force-f-x-6th-gen-fighter-jet.html

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
How is the area rule followed in this instance?
Ya'll Nibbiars you Amerikans despite being lacking in so many ways are Master when in comes to the research of the advanced technologies.

blackjack

Country flag
I am probably going to be pissing off alot of Americans comparing TAI-TFX and Su-57 to NGAD such as stealth drone swarm features.

Haldilal

Country flag

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
The TF-X is too big for it's own good I feel. Will be interesting to see how nimble it is once it flies sometime next year.

The TF-X came out even larger than the old model infographic shown above. Granted they have twin F-100s but a stealth fighter has much heavier bulkheads leading to a significant weight increase over a similarly sized 4th gen fighter. This thing is essentially packing the same combined engine power of a Su-30 but I bet it came out significantly heavier owing to it's stealth design with internal bays. This will impact it's MTOW.

Haldilal

Country flag
The TF-X is too big for it's own good I feel. Will be interesting to see how nimble it is once it flies sometime next year.

The TF-X came out even larger than the old model infographic shown above. Granted they have twin F-100s but a stealth fighter has much heavier bulkheads leading to a significant weight increase over a similarly sized 4th gen fighter. This thing is essentially packing the same combined engine power of a Su-30 but I bet it came out significantly heavier owing to it's stealth design with internal bays. This will impact it's MTOW.
Ya'll Nibbiars Koreans doing charity comparing it with AMCA, when it will fly, when it will be inducted no one knews not even upar wala probably. From first flight tlin 2019 to now we are in 2023 and still no sign of any prototypes.

It's depressing.

Last edited:

Blademaster

Have they done any air flow modeling or did they just rip it off from the F-35 program?

Haldilal

Country flag
Have they done any air flow modeling or did they just rip it off from the F-35 program?
Ya'll Nibbiars done then they had access to all western laborites and software's.

blackjack

Country flag
Paralay is the best fucking troll out there man :pound::pound::pound:To those that dont know him he is an admin that has is own forum called paralay iboards.It took me awhile to get the joke, and I started laughing even more like an idiot when the bottom user did not know that Paralay was fucking around made it even more funny. https://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=57828&p=478963#p478963 I will share the screenshots to be sure they don't get deleted later.

1674535047803.png

1674535063483.png

1674535081576.png

1674535099369.png

Those that dont get the Joke he basically made his own 6th gen Russian design but used it with 1st stage Su-57 engines to go mock the **** out of the NGADs engine performance. We know that the Su-57 1st stage engines is 3,500kms max range and 4,500kms with fuel tanks and the thrust parameters look the same on wikipedia. The 4th photos is for laughs because what Paralay posted was a joke that went over users head and apparently, he missed it. Over 80 users were looking at the thread and no one after the user hkultala posted so far for quite some time. I think they were able to at least process the joke. I am in tears because it is like a dead silence, and I am waiting if anyone will break the ice or move along with the topic of their thread.

Gyyan

Country flag
Paralay is the best fucking troll out there man :pound::pound::pound:To those that dont know him he is an admin that has is own forum called paralay iboards.It took me awhile to get the joke, and I started laughing even more like an idiot when the bottom user did not know that Paralay was fucking around made it even more funny. https://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=57828&p=478963#p478963 I will share the screenshots to be sure they don't get deleted later.

View attachment 190757
View attachment 190758
View attachment 190759
View attachment 190760
Those that dont get the Joke he basically made his own 6th gen Russian design but used it with 1st stage Su-57 engines to go mock the **** out of the NGADs engine performance. We know that the Su-57 1st stage engines is 3,500kms max range and 4,500kms with fuel tanks and the thrust parameters look the same on wikipedia. The 4th photos is for laughs because what Paralay posted was a joke that went over users head and apparently, he missed it. Over 80 users were looking at the thread and no one after the user hkultala posted so far for quite some time. I think they were able to at least process the joke. I am in tears because it is like a dead silence, and I am waiting if anyone will break the ice or move along with the topic of their thread.
Should have addressed the length as more than 5 sports car long would have been funnier😂😂😂

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
FCAS is effectively screwed now. Germans are reportedly not happy with the design compromises made to facilitate naval ops from French aircraft carriers. UK's GCAP program was joined by Japan recently which may have served as motivation and financial assurance for Germans to jump ship.

Paywall removed > https://archive.li/L5bAn

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
FCAS is effectively screwed now. Germans are reportedly not happy with the design compromises made to facilitate naval ops from French aircraft carriers. UK's GCAP program was joined by Japan recently which may have served as motivation and financial assurance for Germans to jump ship.

they are habitual for this kind of behaviour. They did same with Rafale.

Azaad

Country flag

The people at Dassault would be the happiest. Over at strat front there's a strong French contingent who've been waiting for Germany to live up to their reputation & sabotage the entire project .

Trappier the CEO at Dassault has issued plenty of public warnings about German non co operation & obstinacy saying Dassault was always ready to go it alone like in the case of Rafale. The lone British member there also confirmed how the Eurofighter was effectively sabotaged by German veto thus jeopardizing it's future upgradation program.

This entire program was the brainchild of Macron & Merkel who wanted this collaboration to serve as some sort of a landmark for EU co operation thereby opening up the doors for further collaboration in other fields . It was Macron's constant intervention & reigning in Dassault that things reached this far . When Merkel demitted office he lost a partner who shared the same vision.

Then came the war in Ukraine which effectively took the EU closer to the US in matters defence with even Germany opting for the F-35s instead of additional modernised Eurofighters or as the French hoped in vain - the Rafale.

Azaad

Country flag

Further to add grist to the mill , apparently there are voices in Paris not exactly speaking in whispers angling to bring in India to partner France in the FCAS program once Germany is officially out of the program . So some of the French contingent in Strat Front say. No clue about it's veracity . Hence , take it with a pinch of salt.

standard snowball

Country flag
Further to add grist to the mill , apparently there are voices in Paris not exactly speaking in whispers angling to bring in India to partner France in the FCAS program once Germany is officially out of the program . So some of the French contingent in Strat Front say. No clue about it's veracity . Hence , take it with a pinch of salt.
Well I am seeing the stars aligning in our favour for a next generation engine, French can't foot the bill for FCAS alone and partnering with India on the Engine will lessen their overall bill.
However I don't see India partnering with France for the entire FCAS program, that seems way too risky, and there has been no such voices in India given how cunning the French are and how carefully we are treading the engine deal.

Global Defence

Articles