6th Generation Aircraft Discussion

Dessert Storm

Country flag
With 6th Generation fighter are already Taking shape, Is Time for India to Start Developing 6th Gen Fighter?

With what's lined up currently, looks like a collaboration with someone up the curve.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
6th Gen Fighter Jets To Be Equipped With Drones, Laser Weapons As F-22s, F-35s Could Be Phased Out

All platforms are phased away at some point in time. F35s would be around for 3 decades or more. Airforces operate in mixes of generations. Cost optimisation, capital acquisition budgets can't be wished away.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
US always goes with a high-low mix
Like F15 and F16
Or F22 and F35..

F35 is here to replace F16 and F18,
PCA/NGAD will replace F22 and F15
I also meant altogether different designs for Airforce and Navy. Not something like F35A/B/C.
Further, does that mean that IAF goes for High-Medium-Low mix?

Bhurki

What's most prudent and has been decided upon by the US aviation MIC is the use of same engines on all of its newer aircraft.
PCA/JSF/B-21 (no reheat for B21) will all use the same engines in the future.

Same with turboshafts, with ITEP choosing T901 engine to be used on upcoming FLRAA, FARA and re engining of Uh 60 and apache.

This will save a ton of money in maintenance, certification and training.

Last edited:

LDev

Country flag
I think it was decided way back that NG will be the contractor . I also knew that they were in hiring process for the this program 4-5 years back.
Will Roper the boss of the US Airforce Acquisitions is trying to turn the traditional procurement process on it's head. Whether he will be successful is anyone guess. But his advocacy of a modern present day digital version of the Century Fighter Series should maintain if not increase the number of prime contractors, the consolidation of these contractors is a worry for the Pentagon. Given that I am re-producing below a quote from the defenseone link posted above:

[BEGIN QUOTE]And because the advanced manufacturing techniques that are critical for building NGAD were pioneered by the commercial sector, the program could open the door for new prime contractors for the aircraft to emerge —
“I have to imagine there will be a lot of engineers — maybe famous ones with well-known household names with billions of dollars to invest — that will decide starting the world’s greatest aircraft company to build the world’s greatest aircraft with the Air Force is exactly the kind of inspiring thing they want to do as a hobby or even a main gig,”
Roper said.[/END QUOTE]

He is referring to Elon Musk above. As you know Musk was invited to speak at an Airforce symposium recently where he flatly stated that the future of air combat is drone warfare and that manned aircraft will soon become extinct much to the consternation of the many fighter pilot types who were present at that symposium. But the way that Musk has upended the space launch business and put long time veterans like Boeing and ULA on the defensive has impressed the Pentagon. So it is possible that the NGAD may not turn out to be one single fighter like the F-22 or F-35, but will become a series of fighters like the, F-101, F-102, F-104, F-106, some manned and other un-manned. And the Airforce believes that digital engineering and 3D printing, one of the reasons for the shockingly quick 1 year time frame to build and fly the NGAD from a design frozen stage, will enable a rapid churn of modern aircraft built by different prime contractors including maybe Musk. The basic IP will vest with the Airforce and the add-ons for each fighter in the series will provided by each prime contractor.

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
Will Roper the boss of the US Airforce Acquisitions is trying to turn the traditional procurement process on it's head. Whether he will be successful is anyone guess. But his advocacy of a modern present day digital version of the Century Fighter Series should maintain if not increase the number of prime contractors, the consolidation of these contractors is a worry for the Pentagon. Given that I am re-producing below a quote from the defenseone link posted above:

[BEGIN QUOTE]And because the advanced manufacturing techniques that are critical for building NGAD were pioneered by the commercial sector, the program could open the door for new prime contractors for the aircraft to emerge —
“I have to imagine there will be a lot of engineers — maybe famous ones with well-known household names with billions of dollars to invest — that will decide starting the world’s greatest aircraft company to build the world’s greatest aircraft with the Air Force is exactly the kind of inspiring thing they want to do as a hobby or even a main gig,”
Roper said.[/END QUOTE]

He is referring to Elon Musk above. As you know Musk was invited to speak at an Airforce symposium recently where he flatly stated that the future of air combat is drone warfare and that manned aircraft will soon become extinct much to the consternation of the many fighter pilot types who were present at that symposium. But the way that Musk has upended the space launch business and put long time veterans like Boeing and ULA on the defensive has impressed the Pentagon. So it is possible that the NGAD may not turn out to be one single fighter like the F-22 or F-35, but will become a series of fighters like the, F-101, F-102, F-104, F-106, some manned and other un-manned. And the Airforce believes that digital engineering and 3D printing, one of the reasons for the shockingly quick 1 year time frame to build and fly the NGAD from a design frozen stage, will enable a rapid churn of modern aircraft built by different prime contractors including maybe Musk. The basic IP will vest with the Airforce and the add-ons for each fighter in the series will provided by each prime contractor.
"Release quick, release small." - approach undertaken by lots of software companies is now adapted by traditional engineering companies with the help of digital engineering and additive manufacturing. With a 3D printed pressurized vessel in rockets , it has indeed bought lots of changes in the industry in the long term.

SKC

Country flag
These mofo's are always generation and a half ahead of everyone else :hat:
Does Skunkworks team still operates? They always have something in making.
While the world decides that they will start the work on next generation fighter, they already a prototype available for testing! :hail:

scatterStorm

Country flag
Looks like full tailless delta, with less control surfaces meaning this can also fly without a pilot and can fly very fast. Like Mach 3 level fast. Its a artist depiction, but I can safely assume, that if you want to fly very fast, than you have to have a long jet with more fuel carrying capacity and almost similar to a delta.

LM trailers also have shown drone swarms with tailless delta design configuration.

scatterStorm

Country flag
When will we have our AURA UCAV flying ?
No idea bro, the info isn't in public domain, and shouldn't supposed to be. Last time I checked, somebody posted an article on livefist defence website. The model was being tested for wind tunnel test, I am not sure. @Bleh and @Karthi could shed some more light to it.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
No idea bro, the info isn't in public domain, and shouldn't supposed to be. Last time I checked, somebody posted an article on livefist defence website. The model was being tested for wind tunnel test, I am not sure. @Bleh and @Karthi could shed some more light to it.
Even China has flown the prototype of their stealth drone we are seriously lagging Behind

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Nope, i got nothing.

Karthi

Country flag

I have posted tenders regarding Dry Kaveri Engine for Ghatak and recently I have posted Landing gear sensors tender for swift (Stealth wing Flying testbed ) which is believed to be predecessor of Ghatak . So swift may fly soon or may be already flown in a scaled down version( earlier reported it would fly in 2019) . Ghatak may take some more years may be Upto 2025

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles