6 killed, 13 injured in Metro bridge collapse in Delhi

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
6 killed, 13 injured in Metro bridge collapse in Delhi

NEW DELHI: Six persons, including an engineer, were killed and 13 others injured when an under-construction over-bridge of the Delhi Metro collapsed on Sunday, in the second such incident in eight months.

The accident took place as one of the pillars of the bridge gave in when a launcher was being erected close to Lady Sriram College in Dhamrudpur in Lajpat Nagar at around 5am.

"Five people have died. Of them - three were among the 15 workers who were taken to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Trauma Centre and the other two are still trapped under debris," Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) spokesperson Anuj Dayal told reporters here.

Rescue efforts were on till afternoon and civil defence personnel talked about at least 3 more bodies being buried in the debris. One body was clearly visible between the girdle launcher and the concrete piece.

The Delhi Metro attributed the accident to a "problem in the design" of the pillar. "We were trying to rectify it. There was a defect in the peer cap which caused the displacement," Dayal said.

The three have been identified as Ansuman, a site engineer and construction workers Niranjan and Badan Singh, while two others at AIIMS are in a critical condition, Dayal said.

The bridge was on the Central Secretariat to Badarpur corridor of the Delhi Metro which was slated to be completed by September 2010.

"The incident took place between pillars 66 and 67 when the pillar cap was affected. Ten segments were to be erected on the stretch of which five had been completed. When the sixth segment was being erected, the launching girder collapsed due to disbalance causing a portion of the bridge to fall," Dayal explained.

Thirty workers of Gammon India Ltd, DMRC's contractor at the site, were present of which 20 have been affected, Dayal said. Many of the injured were also taken to the nearby Moolchand Hospital and the Safdurjang hospital.

Construction site workers alleged that the pillars on which the bridge was to be hoisted were faulty.

"There were cracks in the pillar and we had warned the contractor and officials - but they paid no heed," said a construction labourer.

Said Balwinder Singh, a policemen facilitating rescue operations: "We have removed 16 people from the debris and they have been taken to hospital. Three people are still buried in the rubble - they were responding to us till 9.15 a.m. But now they are dead."

Mayor Kanwar Sain was present at the site and said: "The Delhi Metro projects are going at a fast pace and the quality of work is being compromised. An enquiry is necessary."

Sushil Choudhury, a resident of Vikram Vihar, adjacent to the construction site said that residents of the area were alarmed by the accident.

"I own a shop metres away from the spot - one miss and everything would have crashed down. I have doubts about how the Delhi Metro works now," said Chowdhury, a former MLA of the area.

Dayal said the rescue operations are being monitored by a team of 100 DMRC engineers and DMRC managing director E. Sreedharan was on his way from Bangalore.

"He will be visiting the site. Investigations are on," he said.

A Delhi Jal Board water supply pipe has also burst, causing severe flooding around the Blue Bellls International school.

"We have also temporarily disconnected the electricity lines in the area. Traffic has been diverted at the Kailash Colony market, Amar Colony, the nearby Lady Sri Ram College and Blue Bells School till 6.00am tomorrow (Monday)," Dayal said

Rescue operations are underway and six cranes as well as gas cutter machines have been put into use to get through the debris.

DMRC was scheduled to complete the 190-km Phase II of the Delhi Metro by October 2010 and construction was on in full swing to ensure that deadlines were met.

Chief minister Sheila Dikshit termed the incident as "unfortunate" and said a compensation package will be worked out in consultation with the Delhi Metro.

The DMRC will hold a press conference at 3pm to elaborate about the incident.

Local residents alleged the cracks were visible in the pillar that collapsed and work had been stopped for about 2 months to 'repair it'.

The work has restarted just a few days back. This is almost a re-run of the incident in east Delhi last year when a girdle launcher and a pre-fabricated piece fell on a bus killing 2 people.

Metro at that time had assured that such an incident would never happen again and had set up an inquiry.

Leader of Opposition V K Malhotra visited the site in the morning and alleged that delay in Commonwealth Games project was forcing Delhi government and DMRC to expedite the completion of the project, thereby compromising safety and resulting in deaths.
6 killed, 13 injured in Metro bridge collapse in Delhi - Delhi - City - NEWS - The Times of India
The license of such contractors should be canceled IMO.:((

How the authority can approve such a defective plan which still needed to be ratified, suppose the whole project is completed and after that they detect a major defect.:((

Pintu

I pray before the almighty to rest the soul of the victims in peace.

I agree with you Payeng, In my opinion continuity of the license shall come under consideration of the authority probing the incidence.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The Delhi Metro attributed the accident to a "problem in the design" of the pillar. "We were trying to rectify it. There was a defect in the peer cap which caused the displacement," Dayal said.
If there's a design defect, shouldn't they have fixed it before they started construction? Have these people never heard of design simulation software? Such ridiculous excuses.

I think they probably used low grade steel or cement, which caused the collapse. This is what happens in the industry in India. Everyone wants to line their pockets, and no one gives a damn about the consequences of their greed. The contractors probably submitted a certain quote to the government, and then used inferior materials than the ones required, pocketing the difference. They probably also paid off the municipal officer responsible for inspections.

And now they blame design defects. Who will believe these idiots?

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Probably the shoddiness on the workers part.if there is a design defect in the construction of the metro system all the bridges constructed and those operationalized should be examined for defects.

Brand new metro pillars

After a few months

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I think these organizations whose posters have appeared on public property should be sued for vandalism and the courts should fine them lakhs of rupees per poster. But we all know that will not happen as all the political parties do it and none will want any restrictions on unbridled advertising, so those in power will never act on such things. :rolleyes:

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
And dilo ka saher delhi is hosting Commonwealth games next year......nothing more to say.....half roads and flyovers incomplete,the ones compleated are falling apart like this(few months ago a underconstruction flyover also broke down),jawaharlal nehru stadium not even 50% finished(revamption)......well ,i'm feeling very depressed this days

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
RIP .... Government should take action and make those companies to give compension fast .

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
DMRC chief Sreedharan resigns

Accepting moral responsibility of the bridge collapse, Delhi Metro Rail Commission (DMRC) chief E Sreedharan on Sunday tendered his resignation to Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit. "I am not directly connected with the accident but as the head of this project I take full moral responsibility and resign as MD of DMRC."

Sreedharan also announced that a five member panel will probe the mishap in South Delhi. "I feel pain and remorse for the accident. This is a more serious accident than the Lakshmi Nagar mishap."

He, however, said that someone should take technical responsibility.

He mentioned the members who will be part of the panel that will probe the mishap-A.K. Nagpal, (a civil engineer professor at IIT), B R Bose, professor at (Delhi College of Engineering), Steve Lawrie, Rajan Kataria (Head of Design DMRC).

He said that this accident will cause delay of the project in South Delhi by at least three months and the estimated damage is expected around about six crore.

The Centre today said it will examine the causes of the collapse of an under-construction bridge of the Delhi Metro..

The Centre's announcement came soon after the DMRC chief E Sreedharan ordered a probe

The last major accident at a metro site was nine months back. Soon after that the metro chief had observed that engineers need to be spending more time at construction sites. He had also ordered a slew of changes in the procedures being followed.

But the metro seems to be losing the plot in its deadline-obsessison. No wonder then the changes he tried enforcing didn't take effect. This despite Metro Chief owning up every mishap that the metro endures.

Meanwhile, reacting to Sreedharan's move of resignation, Delhi government has ruled out that it will not take any hasty decision.

Indiatoday

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
its a sad day for dmrc and what would be another blow to the whole project would be if mr sreedharan, a highly committed person and a tough task master is made the fall guy.

yes, the pace of work has picked up and there are deadlines to be followed which needs to be completed prior to the start of commonwealth games and this line extending to bardarpur connecting faridabad is one such line, but no way this can be allowed to be an excuse to get away with inferior stuff being used and built.

5lives have been lost, 15 more fighting for survival, there is loss to public property and this part of the project faces a delay of 3months, hopefully the chaps who are really responsible are made to face the consequences.

a committee to look into the matter has been appointed consisting of some eminent people and it is best the judgment part is left to them of what really went wrong, but hopefully they come out with their report quick enough and people responsible are taken to task.

a sad day indeed.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
RIP to the people.

I have so far never seen any one being punished for such lapse and I don't see that happening in this case either. Sad but true.

Pintu

Shock and disbelief over Sreedharan resignation - Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

Shock and disbelief over Sreedharan resignation
12 Jul 2009, 1917 hrs IST, IANS

NEW DELHI: Delhi Metro officials could not believe what they had heard.

Camera persons, photographers and reporters had swamped the eighth floor of the Metro Bhavan at Barakhamba Road where Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) managing director E Sreedharan was supposed to brief on Sunday's tragedy, the worst mishap in its history.

At 3.00 pm sharp Sreedharan emerged calm and composed from the restricted entry side of the conference room, where he had met with senior DMRC officials.

After clarifying details of the incident and expressing his remorse over the situation amid media frenzy, the Metro chief suddenly dropped the bomb and announced his resignation.

"I have been in charge of the Metro for the past 10 years. I take full moral responsibility for the accident, and having taken the full responsibility I resign (from the post the managing director) of the Delhi Metro," Sreedharan said.

And an awkward silence fell over the conference room for a few minutes before some reporters asked him to clarify what that meant. Was he trying to divert attention from the incident?

"I have taken responsibility as the head of the organisation. Whose fault it is, is immaterial at this point...The incident may be because of the contractor, the designers or supervisors but that doesn't take away that the entire responsibility is of the DMRC - so as its head I resign."

He added that if it was just the "first instance" he would not have taken the drastic step.

"This is a repetition of the incident in October 2008. That was a major jolt but this is more serious and an even bigger jolt."

He clarified that there was absolutely "no pressure" from officials at DMRC and that moments before when he decided to submit his resignation to Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit and Lieutenant

Governor Tejinder Khanna, his peers and colleagues had told him to reconsider.

"Normally I don't go against their advice but I told them not to intervene this time."

He said: "Perhaps, if I quit and the new man comes in - it may be a setback to the projects but my personal conviction about this can not be compromised on."

Sreedharan, 77, has been at the helm of affairs of the DMRC as since November 1997 and has been instrumental in the completion of most projects within the budget and well ahead of schedule.

Junior officials of Metro's media cell weren't aware of the decision. Tears rolled down many employees' faces after the initial shock sank in.

"We came thinking this would be a normal incident report in which MD sir would order an enquiry . This is totally unexpected," a DMRC official, who did not want to be named, said.

Another official said: "We did not think such a drastic step would be taken. I hope he reconsiders. The way DMRC works is at stake."

As Sreedharan left the room, reporters asked what would happen to Delhi Metro's pending projects and its employees, to which he replied: "I know many people will be demoralized in DMRC. But no one is indispensable in any organisation - there are more competent people."

He also said he had not spoken to the chief minister and that it was "too premature" to comment on what his future role in DMRC would be.

Sreedharan has been responsible for the construction of the Metro rail project, the modern mass transport system in the national capital that has brought relief to tens of thousands of commuters every day in this crowded city of 17 million people.

The Delhi Metro boasts of having used the most advanced technology in the field of civil, electrical, signalling and telecommunication engineering worldwide.

venkat

May be sreedharan sahab might have been coerced to give the contracts to influential contractors. he might have offered his resignation in disgust!

Pintu

Delhi CM rejects DMRC chief Sreedharan's resignation - Delhi - City - NEWS - The Times of India

Delhi CM rejects DMRC chief Sreedharan's resignation
TIMESOFINDIA.COM 12 July 2009, 09:53pm IST

NEW DELHI: Taking full responsibility for the Metro bridge collapse in Delhi on Sunday, DMRC chief E Sreedharan on Sunday announced his resignation, however Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit has refused to accept it.

Rescue operation is in progress after a Delhi Metro
Rail Corporation flyover collapsed in New Delhi.
(Reuters)

"Technically, someone else should take the responsibility but I have decided to quit," said the DMRC chief on Sunday afternoon.

Sreedharan announced his decision at a crowded press conference, soon after his visit to the site of the collapse of an under-construction bridge of Delhi Metro in south Delhi's Lajpat Nagar.

"As the head of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation, I take moral responsibility for the incident...So I have decided to resign and I have put in papers and I have sent it to Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit," he said.

According to PTI, asked whether his decision will delay the Metro projects which are scheduled to be completed before the Commonwealth Games, he said, "The views you are making may be correct but my personal conviction in this matter cannot be compromised."

Delhi Government had said it was not for taking any hasty decision on the resignation of Sreedharan.

"We are not to take any hasty decision on the resignation of Sreedharan," said P K Tripathi, Principal Secretary to Chief Minister.

A four-member committee will probe the collapse of an under-construction Delhi Metro span, IANS reported.

"The four-member committee will inquire into the accident and will submit its report within 10 days," Sreedharan told reporters.

The members of the probe committee are A K Nagpal of the Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi, and two officials from DMRC – Rajan Kataria, head of design cell, and Steven Lowry, project director for general construction. B R Bose of the Delhi College of Engineering is the only woman member of the committee, IANS said.

Earlier in the day, six persons, including an engineer, were killed and 13 others injured when an under-construction over-bridge of the Delhi Metro collapsed, in the second such incident in eight months.

The accident took place as one of the pillars of the bridge gave in when a launcher was being erected close to Lady Sriram College in Lajpat Nagar at around 5am.

Another mishap at Delhi metro sight

Three cranes collapsed at the Delhi metro sight while removing the debris from the sunday accident sight. This is the second mishap in last 24 hrs leaving 4 more people injured.

Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has said an inquiry commission will be set up to probe into the matter.

Earlier five metro workers and an engineer were killed and 15 injured after a launching girder gave way at a construction site in south Delhi. DMRC Managing Director E Sreedharan resigned within hours taking moral responsibility, but Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit rejected the offer.

The septuagenarian Metro chief flew back from outside Delhi following the accident and, after a brief inspection of the site, made a dramatic announcement of his resignation at a news conference.

"I am facing you with a great deal of pain and remorse," Sreedharan said. "I take full moral responsibility of today's incident and thereby resign. I have sent my resignation letter to the Chief Minister and the Lieutenant Governor."

"Before I entered this chamber, I took the decision to resign and all my senior colleagues advised me not to take this decision. I normally don't go against their advice, but this time I have asked them not to interfere."

Late in the evening, Dikshit announced, "We have decided not to accept the resignation of E Sreedharan."

PTI quoted an unnamed top official as saying, "At this time, we cannot let him go. That is why it was decided not to accept his resignation. He is a person of integrity."

The chief minister's principal secretary PK Tripathy had earlier said that Sreedharan was a "very emotional person", and that the government would not take a "hasty decision" on the issue. A spokesman for the L-G had said the decision on accepting his resignation would have to be taken "at a political level".

Sreedharan was not immediately available for a comment.

The resignation of India's celebrated 'Metro Man' was triggered by the worst-ever mishap in the history of the Delhi Metro, on the upcoming Central Secretariat-Badarpur line of Phase II of the project, at around 5 am. Two people had died in a similar accident on October 19, 2008 at Vikas Marg in east Delhi.

Sreedharan described today's accident as a "bigger blot". "For ten years we have maintained a high standard of work atmosphere at the construction sites. What happened last year was a blot on DMRC but we feel this is a bigger blot and a more serious incident," he said.

The 77-year-old Kerala-born engineer-administrator who has been at the helm of the Metro project since 1997, said that the "dimension and complexity" of the project notwithstanding, the loss of lives was unacceptable.

"Projects of this dimension and complexity have never been attempted before. There were accidents even in Phase I but not of this gravity. But people have had high expectations and image of DMRC. Whether it is a small incident or not, an accident is an accident. I can take a challenge that no other organisation has such high standards of safety. We are still high on our standards but one casualty is still too many for DMRC," Sreedharan said.

Asked if the Metro's remarkable record of finishing projects on time universally admired across India and in many countries abroad would be affected by his resignation, he said: "Perhaps if a new man comes that may have a setback to the project but my personal conviction about this cannot be compromised. No one is indispensable in any organisation and there are more competent people in the industry."

"My successor will be decided by the Delhi government. This may not be my mistake but as the head of the organisation I have to take responsibility and I think it is right to resign."

Through the hours between Sreedharan's press conference and Dikshit's statement, DMRC officials speculated on the fate of Metro projects should their boss leave, with a consensus emerging that they would almost certainly suffer. The Indraprastha-Noida line is slated to open in August, the Inderlok- Mundka line in November and the Yamuna Bank-Anand Vihar line in December.

Sreedharan, who put DMRC on the world map Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Ireland, Syria and Vietnam have sought the corporation's expertise is associated with several other Metro projects in the country, including the Mumbai Metro, the high-speed railway link from Bangalore's city centre to the airport, and Kolkata's new Metro project.

He is also a member of the working group on urban transport including mass rapid transport systems for the 11th Five Year Plan under the urban development ministry. He was earlier on a high-profile panel that helped a Committee of Secretaries look into the privatization of Delhi and Mumbai airports.

Express News Service

Pintu

Second Metro mishap: Core juggernaut on shaky ground- Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

Second Metro mishap: Core juggernaut on shaky ground

14 Jul 2009, 0239 hrs IST, TK Arun, ET Bureau

NEW DELHI: Monday’s crane mishap at the Delhi Metro site where the day before a span of the elevated track under construction had come crashing down, as the pillar on which it rested couldn’t take its weight, makes it the third construction accident in the last six months for the Delhi Metro, India’s vaunted showpiece for engineering excellence.

The response to the accident reflected popular attitudes to accidents: the rush to affix blame, own up moral responsibility, institute inquiries. All this is fine, but we need to go beyond. These accidents raise important systemic issues about engineering, cutting across know-how, ethics, organisational structure, adequate budgeting and institutionalisation of safety norms, going beyond any specific project or leadership, howsoever competent.

As the Indian economy shifts gears to a higher pace of growth, sophisticated construction becomes a vital ingredient of the process. Bridging the infrastructural deficit is a huge commercial opportunity — and a mammoth engineering challenge. The task is to institutionalise safety and quality, and prevent accidents that can turn into disasters, given the scale and interconnectedness of some pieces of modern industrial/urban infrastructure.

Proactive regulation, laying down of standards and their enforcement are things that need to go beyond routine matters of form. The framework exists, the job is to make it operative. Things are a whole lot worse when it comes to performing the post-mortem on a major accident.

Accident inquiries have to proceed at two levels. Right now, the focus is solely on finding out the cause/culprit and imposing a penalty. This is important and the penalty imposed must be stiff. The legal process of establishing culpability should have a finite time horizon, rather than extend over decades.

The second level of inquiry that we are yet to institutionalise in India has to go beyond specific culpability to systemic reasons for the occurrence of an accident. These range from the sociology of man-machine interface and managerial practices in project execution to deficits of ethics, know-how and funds for detailed iterations of alternate scenarios of engineering stress to be overcome.

Tackling this challenge is far more important, when it comes to preventing future accidents. Someone in the government has to rise above departmental divides over jurisdiction and take charge of institutionalising such inquiries.

Establishing legal and financial accountability of contractors for accidents is an obvious part of the solution. Mandating disaster insurance, covering penal damages as well, would jack up costs, but ensure that insurance companies keep an independent tab on design, standards, materials and execution.

The stock market is playing its role in this matter as well. Gammon, the Delhi Metro contractor at whose work sites this week’s accidents happened, has been pummelled on the markets.

Concerns have gone up in distant locations as well. The collapse of the viaduct at the Delhi Metro has raised safety issues in similar infrastructure projects. In Mumbai, the recently-opened Bandra-Worli Sea Link has been in focus as it diverts a large portion of a busy traffic from the main arterial road, over the sea.

When contacted, a spokesperson for HCC, the company that built the sea link, said company engineers tasked with the work, follow a strict safety protocol.

“Construction of the remaining four lanes of the sea link is still underway and we are strictly adhering to the safety protocol. HCC has maintained safety standards all through the construction of the sea link and this is evident from the fact that not a minor mishap has happened in the last four years even though construction at times had to be carried out in rough sea conditions,” the spokesperson added.

A top official at the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC), Maharashtra government’s nodal agency for the Bandra Worli Sea Link project, also told ET that the agency had insisted on highest safety standards being followed by HCC.

The officials of the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation (BMRCL) have stepped up the monitoring and quality checks on their ongoing work following the tragic mishap in Delhi, according to a spokesperson.

However, the BMRCL has maintained that the safety measures are already in place and they only taking additional precautionary step. The Bangalore Metro will be running across a stretch of 33 km, of which only 6.76 km being underground.

The Bangalore Metro project has witnessed five accidents in the last seven months which claimed three lives and injuring around four people. Most of these accidents occurred during the demolition of old structures and mishaps in construction material.

As construction assumes greater complexity and speed, the need for institutionalising safety becomes all the more urgent.

(With inputs from our Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore bureaus)

Pintu

Mumbai Metro officials to learn lessons from Delhi crash - Mumbai - City - NEWS - The Times of India

Mumbai Metro officials to learn lessons from Delhi crash
Ashley D'Mello, TNN 14 July 2009, 02:38am IST

MUMBAI: The Mumbai Metro One management hopes to learn valuable lessons from Sunday's Delhi Metro bridge crash accident in which six persons were killed.

MM1 director, K P Maheshwari said, "Once the review of the Delhi Metro Rail accident is out, we will be in touch with them to find out what exactly went wrong. We are willing to incorporate any changes which will benefit the safety environment on our project, even though the construction process we are following is different.''

Explaining the difference Maheshwari said, "Delhi is following the segmented approach, constructing the Metro in small segments while we will be getting large pre-cast girders and putting them up by cranes.''

Maheshwari said their consultants, Parsons Brinkerhoff as well as Systema advise them on safety standards. In keeping with international standards, they have appointed an independent third party safety auditor, Bureau Veritas, is an internationally recognised safety firm. "All our contractors have to comply with safe practices of construction,'' he said.

Some safety procedures they follow include ensuring that all heavy machinery like piling rigs and cranes are checked daily before putting them to use. "All equipment has to have automatic safe load indicators, safety alarms and other safety devices which are mandatory requirement,'' they said.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Condolences to the family members of the victims.

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/187071_Mishap-at-Metro-site-in-New-Delhi--one-killed

Mishap at Metro site in New Delhi, one killed

STAFF WRITER 9:0 HRS IST

New Delhi, Jul 22 (PTI) Yet another mishap struck the Delhi Metro when a labourer was killed after a girder fell on him at an under-construction metro site in west Delhi early this morning.

The incident took place at 5.45 am at Ashoka Park in Punjabi Bagh area when the labourer was hit by a girder which was being lifted.

"The labourer was guarding the beam when it hit his shoulder," DMRC Chief Public Relations Officer Anuj Dayal said, adding that he was rushed to a nearby hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

Dayal clarified that there was no structural collapse in the incident.

This is the third accident in the last two weeks at metro construction sites in the national capital which raises questions over safety at such sites.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles