50 feared trapped under debris after mine in India collapses

pmaitra

50 feared trapped under debris after mine in India collapses

As many as 50 people are feared trapped after a coal mine collapsed in the Indian state of Jharkhand. Five people have reportedly died, while four others have been taken to a nearby hospital.

The collapse of the mine, which is located in the Lal Matia area of Godda district, took place when a heap of mud caved in at an entry point on Thursday night, according to the Economic Times.

The accident took place during a shift change at the mine, which is part of the Rajmahal Opencast Project - a major coal mining operation of Eastern Coalfields Limited - according to police sources cited by The Indian Express.

Between 40 and 50 people are thought to be trapped under debris, according to Asian News International (ANI). Jharkand Chief Minister Raghubar Das has asked for rescue operations to be stepped up.

Sanjay Singh, general manager of the Rajmahal Opencast Project, confirmed that five people have died.

“Rescuers pulled out five bodies of workers trapped in the mine so far. Rescue operation is still on. Bodies have not been identified," he told the Hindustan Times.

So far, four workers have been rescued and taken to a nearby hospital, according to the Times of India. One worker is reportedly in serious condition.

“Our current focus is on saving the trapped people inside the mine,” said Hira Lal Chauhan, Godda’s superintendent of police, according to the Hindustan Times.

Several vehicles are also trapped under debris.

“As of now, there are different versions of how many machines, vehicles and people are trapped. Relief and rescue operations are being initiated,” a police official told the Indian Express, adding that while some have put the number of buried vehicles at eight to 10, others say it could be two to three times higher.

A rescue operation is underway, but proving difficult, in part, due to intense fog, police say.

The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) from Patna has been sent to the site. A mining rescue station team with specialized equipment from Coal India has also been requested, and personnel from Eastern Coalfields Limited have also been rushed to the scene.

Meanwhile, a separate incident on Thursday saw four coal workers injured when the roof of a mine collapsed in the Putki Balihari area of Dhanbad district.

mayfair

I Hope they are recovered swiftly and safely. Speedy recovery to the injured.

sthf

Country flag
Heads should roll if this happened because of human error. NDRF is very good at its job, hopefully they will prevail.

Neo

Sad development at the end of the year, I sincerely hope for more survivors.

RIP to the dead :(

bose

Country flag
Not sure how many of you have seen the coal seam burning... One can see it prominently at night time... the burning of the coal for last 50 to 60 years if not more...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles