300 Chinese Foxconn Workers 'Threaten Mass Suicide' At XBox Plan

JayATL

300 Chinese Foxconn Workers 'Threaten Mass Suicide' At XBox Plant

Around 300 Chinese workers who manufacture XBox consoles took to a factory roof and threatened bosses with mass suicide over a dispute about pay, unconfirmed reports have claimed.

The workers were employed at the Foxconn Technology Park in Wuhan in Hubei province. Foxconn is an independent, global manufacturing partner to companies including Apple, Microsoft and Sony.

Microsoft said on Wednesday that it is investigating the incident.

According to unverified reports emerging from anti-government Chinese news websites, about 300 workers took to the roof of the Taiwanese-owned factory on 2 January to protest against their employers.

Those reports have sinced been repeated by websites including Kotaku, but neither Foxconn or Microsoft has yet confirmed the incident took place.

According to the reports the employees had asked bosses for a raise but in response were told to either quit with compensation or keep their jobs at their usual salary.

Most workers apparently decided to leave, but the company did not hand over the money as promised.

According to the China Jasmine Revolution website, the workers were only dissuaded a day later when the mayor of Wuhan talked them out of committing suicide.

Foxconn factories in China have been the scene of several suicides by workers in the past, including 14 in 2010 alone at its Shenzhen plant, after complaints of low pay and poor conditions.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Why should Foxconn give them a raise when they are replacing them with robots?

JayATL

Actually the workers should be ignored just like the Chinese ignore, and in many cases make fun of the monks in Tibet . Let them all die, you have a big enough population to replace. Yeah?

mylegend

300 Chinese Foxconn Workers 'Threaten Mass Suicide' At XBox Plant

Around 300 Chinese workers who manufacture XBox consoles took to a factory roof and threatened bosses with mass suicide over a dispute about pay, unconfirmed reports have claimed.

The workers were employed at the Foxconn Technology Park in Wuhan in Hubei province. Foxconn is an independent, global manufacturing partner to companies including Apple, Microsoft and Sony.

Microsoft said on Wednesday that it is investigating the incident.

According to unverified reports emerging from anti-government Chinese news websites, about 300 workers took to the roof of the Taiwanese-owned factory on 2 January to protest against their employers.

Those reports have sinced been repeated by websites including Kotaku, but neither Foxconn or Microsoft has yet confirmed the incident took place.

According to the reports the employees had asked bosses for a raise but in response were told to either quit with compensation or keep their jobs at their usual salary.

Most workers apparently decided to leave, but the company did not hand over the money as promised.

According to the China Jasmine Revolution website, the workers were only dissuaded a day later when the mayor of Wuhan talked them out of committing suicide.

Foxconn factories in China have been the scene of several suicides by workers in the past, including 14 in 2010 alone at its Shenzhen plant, after complaints of low pay and poor conditions.
Shenzhen Plants have over 300,000 workers, after improvement in worker's contract. In 2011, there is less than 5 death total I believe, that is less than 0.01% of population... It is call incredible management... Although one is one too many.

Most monk who burn him/herself by the order of the so-call "highness" is not even in Tibet... Check the location the site yourself.

JayATL

Shenzhen Plants have over 300,000 workers, after improvement in worker's contract. In 2011, there is less than 5 death total I believe, that is less than 0.01% of population... It is call incredible management... Although one is one too many.

Most monk who burn him/herself by the order of the so-call "highness" is not even in Tibet... Check the location the site yourself.
300 threaten to commit suicide - That's incredible management . LOL. As I said the govt should shoot them 300 , they are just cockroaches that be replaced.

Most monks burn themselves in Tibet, just that your govt does not allow such news printed. I like the authority with which Chinese pisters post facts... When they have propaganda news as the only source.

mylegend

300 threaten to commit suicide - That's incredible management . LOL. As I said the govt should shoot them 300 , they are just cockroaches that be replaced.

Most monks burn themselves in Tibet, just that your govt does not allow such news printed. I like the authority with which Chinese pisters post facts... When they have propaganda news as the only source.
Check the western source again, most self immolation happen in Sichuan's border area with Tibet autonomous region...

mylegend

Again, it is a a threat. If their demand is answer, then no more threat. However, I do not see anything human in your reply the government should shoot people who protest.

Last edited:

mylegend

Employees at the Wuhan, China, plant made the threat on January 2 after their demand for pay raises was rejected, according to Kotaku. Wuhan's mayor reportedly intervened on January 3 and talked the group off the building.Foxconn, a Chinese company that makes hardware for companies such as Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, and Sony, told CNN the dispute had been settled, but the details of that resolution were not disclosed.

Microsoft probing report of Foxconn mass-suicide threat | Business Tech - CNET News

HeinzGud

Country flag
Boycott FOXCONN this is not an isolated incident the management've done this before to the workers!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Apple Profit Margins Rise at Foxconn's Expense

Apple's margins have widened at the expense of its main supplier as Foxconn Technology Group cuts prices to retain orders for the iPhone and iPad. The profit spread at Hon Hai Precision Industry, Foxconn's Taipei-listed flagship, has narrowed to 1.5 percent since the debut of the iPhone in June 2007 as Apple's operating margin more than doubled over the past five years, surpassing 30 percent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-04/apple-profit-margins-rise-at-foxconn-s-expense.html

Foxconn Layoffs Already Started​

http://www.circuitsassembly.com/cms/news/7892-report-foxconn-layoffs-already-started

mylegend

China will lose some manufacture job in coming decade. At least my family's company no longer add any labor in the line for 2 or 3 years. We begin to replace workers with automated machine that cost much lower now... According to our calculation, the machine is equivalent to labor at wage of 3000 rmb. That is not accounting the fact machine producing more consistent quality. One workers can managed 8 machines. I can foresee a day a large lay-off of textile workers in China as wage continue to rise.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
With Foxconn's low profit margin and disrupted supply chain, keeping China's masses employed is a losing proposition. 300,000 robots will be replacing Foxconn workers in China this year with total layoffs of nearly a million by 2014. Consolidation will close nearly half the plants. As this trend continues throughout Chinese factories, those 300m jobs will dwindle into the tens of millions. Migrant workers will have no jobs.

no smoking

Country flag
Actually the workers should be ignored just like the Chinese ignore, and in many cases make fun of the monks in Tibet . Let them all die, you have a big enough population to replace. Yeah?
Well, I will stop making fun of the monks if you highness put himself into fire because I would know he is seriously at that time.

mylegend

With Foxconn's low profit margin and disrupted supply chain, keeping China's masses employed is a losing proposition. 300,000 robots will be replacing Foxconn workers in China this year with total layoffs of nearly a million by 2014. Consolidation will close nearly half the plants. As this trend continues throughout Chinese factories, those 300m jobs will dwindle into the tens of millions. Migrant workers will have no jobs.
Please, be serious here. Foxconn is working on automation but still the manufacture plant of automation robot is in mainland China. The have no desire to get out with the tax break they receive. Foxconn's CEO 郭台銘 said in last November that they will manufactured 300,000 robots in 2012. However, he promised there will be no lay-off. Foxconn will possible lay-off people in the next few years. But definitely not all of them. You still need people to operate robot... The efficiency will be at least double in the next few years. However, as long as they can expand their business, mass lay-off will take longer time. Please let me inform you, all the Foxconn's robot is also manufacture in China. Another thing is automation in the industry have long existed, slow adoption is due to high cost. The cost of automation come down in China is due to domestic manufactured Robot(Machine). Take textile industry as example, Japanese import machine cost 500,000 RMB per unit. Domestic machine(function are less powerfull than import, but are more cost-effi) cost about 200.000 RMB, the price of domestic machine is still on the drop.

Although there will be short-term impact in China, but in the long term, increase efficiency is always a great thing. Not to mention, much of automation machine are made in China.
The news I reference below, the first factory for automation Machine are in Shanxin Provine.
目击富士康"机器人"ï¼šåŠ¨ä½œå•è°ƒ 能24小时不间断工作_台湾频道_凤凰网

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Please, be serious here. The layoffs have already started. They are reclassified as "reassigned" and "voluntary resignations" which have been occurring the last two months. You don't install 300,000 robots and not have mass layoffs. The workers in Wuhan are striking because the Xbox line is closing and they weren't offered a severance package over the layoffs. They have come to agreement and workers will receive payment when they are forced to leave, either voluntary resignation or reassigned. It is only going to snow ball as machines replace people and the recession goes on with Foxconn entering the red.

Please let me inform you, much of the automation Chinese textile has forced most of those companies to go to Indonesia, Vietnam, India and others as it still can't compete with those low wages. Foxconn is spending $4 billion on robots that can be transported to any factory, it doesn't have to be in China and a new plant has sprung up in Taiwan while Chinese lines are closing. Efficiency of Foxconn plants in China are not going to help the PRC economy when it means less wages going into it. These are strictly long term cost cutting measures. Robots being built for Foxconn are not made in China, they are made in Taiwan. China making automated machines just means more Chinese out of work.

mylegend

Please, be serious here. The layoffs have already started. They are reclassified as "reassigned" and "voluntary resignations" which have been occurring the last two months. You don't install 300,000 robots and not have mass layoffs. The workers in Wuhan are striking because the Xbox line is closing and they weren't offered a severance package over the layoffs. They have come to agreement and workers will receive payment when they are forced to leave, either voluntary resignation or reassigned. It is only going to snow ball as machines replace people and the recession goes on with Foxconn entering the red.

Please let me inform you, much of the automation Chinese textile has forced most of those companies to go to Indonesia, Vietnam, India and others as it still can't compete with those low wages. Foxconn is spending $4 billion on robots that can be transported to any factory, it doesn't have to be in China and a new plant has sprung up in Taiwan while Chinese lines are closing. Efficiency of Foxconn plants in China are not going to help the PRC economy when it means less wages going into it. These are strictly long term cost cutting measures. Robots being built for Foxconn are not made in China, they are made in Taiwan. China making automated machines just means more Chinese out of work.
I do not need you to inform about the trend in textile industry. I do understand it is happening. It is also non-reverse-able. However, it is not going to happen overnight. It took years for the transfer. Other nation will not double their production overnight.

However, I can not understand how can you say improved efficiency is bad for economy. I guess that what French Indian think. The lower the efficiency the better. Good luck for that. Have your 35-hrs workweek, and good luck finding any future for your nation.

I do not find any Economic theory that states lower efficiency is better for the economy in the long term. I can't help to stop thinking that if you need to go to college again.

Last edited:

mylegend

@Armand2REP

You stated that all automation factory is in Taiwan without providing even the slightest citation.
目击富士康"机器人"ï¼šåŠ¨ä½œå•è°ƒ 能24小时不间断工作_台湾频道_凤凰网

As reference stated above, Foxconn begin automation robot production in 2010, Shanxi Jingcheng Industrial Park is one of the first factory that begins the production of Robot.

Also, economically speaking machine can not replace human entirely in the manufacture process. Company also need times to adopt to new technology.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Again, it is a a threat. If their demand is answer, then no more threat. However, I do not see anything human in your reply the government should shoot people who protest.

No laws and rules applicable for CCP. They can shoot anyone. That is why China is doing well economically !

mylegend

No laws and rules applicable for CCP. They can shoot anyone. That is why China is doing well economically !
In this case, I do not see Chinese government threaten to shoot those workers? In fact, I only see you said in previous reply that " As I said the govt should shoot them 300 , they are just cockroaches that be replaced. ". I do understand your desire in killing innocent people as your comment suggested that you are a sadist. However, branding your desire on other may not be so good.

Yes, it is fact that no national laws applicable to CCP since there is no separation of judicial system. However, in this case, I do not see government's interest in killing hundreds of innocent people.

It is indeed pathetic and tragic that a man can be so sick and wick to believe that people are cockroaches to be killed and replace. I do pity you and wonder how one can make sadist comment and proudly defending it to the end.

Last edited:

illusion8

As the standards improve people and workers will demand more benefits, the companies will have to heed to the demands and cost of manufacturing will go up and soon china will not be an attractive low cost manufacturing hub anymore. The underlying problem is chinese do not presently have an option other than their low cost exports to compensate for the revenue loss bcos of this trend. They do not have high value brands and cannot directly go into high value production. Their mantra is low cost and quantity, their loss will be beneficial to other low cost economies like BD, Vietnam, Phil.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles