2016 The year to improve in Hindi Language ( Words and phrases )

roma

NRI in Europe
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
3,577
Likes
2,489
Country flag
Yes folks the time has arrived for you to help myself and anyone else to firm up our knowledge on the subject

Firstly i request that the Hindi language be included in the members corner as a separate subject ....after all it is the national language and that is part of defense so the relevance is there

Secondly i therefore ask all members to respond forthrightly as most of you have abundant knowledge of The Language and knowledge of websites, clubs social associations etc that can help me to speed up learning .

Initially i shall begin with the romanised form as that is where i am ( at the bottom ) and gradually i shall be learning the Devanagari alphabet as i go along ....meanwhile i shall be learning in a bits and pieces format

So here we go .....for the first post , let me ask
what does
"Sab se pehle hai "
mean ? ...is it possible to break down the meaning o each word and then take the phrase as a whole ?
many thankls in advance to all of you who reply

@angeldude13@[email protected] [email protected]@aliyah @Alien@[email protected]@Ancient [email protected] @aliyah @Alien @Aravind Sanjeev @A chauhan @asingh10 @asianobserve @BATTLE FIELD@bose @Bornubus @brational@[email protected]@Blood+
@Bangalorean @bengalraider @cobra commando @Chirag @Chris Jude @Chinmoy@Cadian @DingDong@ersakthivel @FRYCRY @guru-dutt@Hari [email protected]&run @indiandefencefan @I_PLAY_BAD @Indian Devil @Indibomber @Jangaruda @jackprince@Kunal @Kshatriya87 [email protected]@laughingbuddha @mhk99 @maomao @Neil @Nicky G @OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra @PaliwalWarrior @Pulkit @Rowdy@[email protected] @[email protected] @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sunnyv @sgarg@sabari @Sameet2 @saik @sorcerer @sydsnyper @Sridevi @SREEKAR @TejasMK3@The enlightened
@tejas warrior@[email protected]@[email protected] @Sylex21 @VIP @Vishwarupa @Vishal Guts @Yusuf@Yumdoot @Zebra
 

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
3,082
Likes
4,576
Country flag
^^ Hindi is NOT the National language of India. India does not have any National language. It is the official language of India (read of the Cow belt).

I don't find any benefit in learning Hindi besides working knowledge of it. And actually Hindi-nazis I have faced in recent past had grown a distaste for the language in me.
 

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2014
Messages
3,255
Likes
3,045
Actually Hindi has been infected by foreign words which are mostly off putting.
Learn Any other language but Hindi :lol:
 

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2015
Messages
7,495
Likes
16,949
^^ Hindi is NOT the National language of India. India does not have any National language. It is the official language of India (read of the Cow belt).

I don't find any benefit in learning Hindi besides working knowledge of it. And actually Hindi-nazis I have faced in recent past had grown a distaste for the language in me.
What did those Hindi Nazis do with you ?
 

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2012
Messages
12,835
Likes
7,741
^^ Hindi is NOT the National language of India. India does not have any National language. It is the official language of India (read of the Cow belt).

I don't find any benefit in learning Hindi besides working knowledge of it. And actually Hindi-nazis I have faced in recent past had grown a distaste for the language in me.
The same here in TN. Most people here hate them even though they will probably learn Hindi if the need arises
 

Illusive

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
2,890
Likes
3,558
Country flag
So here we go .....for the first post , let me ask
what does
"Sab se pehle hai "
mean ? ...is it possible to break down the meaning o each word and then take the phrase as a whole ?
many thankls in advance to all of you who reply
The correct way to say it would be "Sab se aage hai". It makes more sense if you add a pronoun at the beginning since the sentence in itself doesn't look complete. For eg "Wo sabse aage hai" meaning He/she/it is in front of other or He/she/it is ahead of other.

PS: My grammar sucks :biggrin2:
 

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
7,116
Likes
7,727
^^ Hindi is NOT the National language of India. India does not have any National language. It is the official language of India (read of the Cow belt).

I don't find any benefit in learning Hindi besides working knowledge of it. And actually Hindi-nazis I have faced in recent past had grown a distaste for the language in me.
Bengalis are the biggest nazis about their language. They have no respect for any person who does not know Bengali and would exclude him from conversation. Most Indians make effort to speak a common language but a Bong would start parroting Bengali as soon as he sees another Bong completely ignoring the other people in the conversation.
 

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
3,082
Likes
4,576
Country flag
Which language do you speak and prefer to learn.
My mother tongue is Bengali. In addition, I am fluent in English and Hindi. I'd like to learn Spanish and would've liked to learn Telugu and Tamil. But, being the stupid I am, I did not learn Telugu and only got the urge tgis late, when I am about to leave Vizag.
 

Illusive

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
2,890
Likes
3,558
Country flag
Bengalis are the biggest nazis about their language. They have no respect for any person who does not know Bengali and would exclude him from conversation. Most Indians make effort to speak a common language but a Bong would start parroting Bengali as soon as he sees another Bong completely ignoring the other people in the conversation.
Isn't it the same with other languages too,why single out.

In my 1st office there were many andhra folks who would only converse in telgu amongst themselves, nothing wrong with that, other was marathi among themselves, understandable since its mumbai, then gujarati the same way, they shout a lot though :biggrin2:. Its fun, i learnt some words in telugu and gujarati that way. Thats the beauty of India buddy, nothing harmful.
 

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
3,082
Likes
4,576
Country flag
Bengalis are the biggest nazis about their language. They have no respect for any person who does not know Bengali and would exclude him from conversation. Most Indians make effort to speak a common language but a Bong would start parroting Bengali as soon as he sees another Bong completely ignoring the other people in the conversation.
When I do agree that Bengalis tend to do so, but so does every other group of people. I have seen Telugus, Gujaratis, Marathis, Rajasthanis, Hariyanvis, Punjabis and Odiyas do the same. But the worst are Hindibhashis, who assume that everyone should know Hindi! They even mock people whose Hindi accent is off.
 

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
7,116
Likes
7,727
Isn't it the same with other languages too,why single out.

In my 1st office there were many andhra folks who would only converse in telgu amongst themselves, nothing wrong with that, other was marathi among themselves, understandable since its mumbai, then gujarati the same way, they shout a lot though :biggrin2:. Its fun, i learnt some words in telugu and gujarati that way. Thats the beauty of India buddy, nothing harmful.
You completely missed the point.

Everyone enjoys talking in their mother-tongue but others make an effort to accommodate you if you are there. Marathis, gujaratis and Andhra guys never excluded me out of conversation but Bengalis did. Not once but many times.
 

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
7,116
Likes
7,727
When I do agree that Bengalis tend to do so, but so does every other group of people. I have seen Telugus, Gujaratis, Marathis, Rajasthanis, Hariyanvis, Punjabis and Odiyas do the same. But the worst are Hindibhashis, who assume that everyone should know Hindi! They even mock people whose Hindi accent is off.
The only people who are distant second are Haryanavis. But in their case, most of them either do not know how to speak proper Hindi/English or they assume you can understand a little bit.

Bengalis on the other hand are different beasts all together!
 

Illusive

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
2,890
Likes
3,558
Country flag
You completely missed the point.

Everyone enjoys talking in their mother-tongue but others make an effort to accommodate you if you are there. Marathis, gujaratis and Andhra guys never excluded me out of conversation but Bengalis did. Not once but many times.
I understand, in my experience they accommodate after sometime and speak in hindi when together in person. Maybe your group was big, then it gets tough. It usually those folks who come from their home state, but if a person is brought up say in mumbai, it never happens. I think Mumbai isn't the best place to look for such anomalies since its a cultural hotspot.
 

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
3,082
Likes
4,576
Country flag
The only people who are distant second are Haryanavis. But in their case, most of them either do not know how to speak proper Hindi/English or they assume you can understand a little bit.

Bengalis on the other hand are different beasts all together!
That us the peoblem you have. You also seem to assume that everyone should know Hindi, or why else you ignored what I said about Hindiwalas? Hindiwalas don't even care to learn language of other places.

I have met the kind of Bengalis you seem to have encountered exclusively. But, you seem to have met their kind only among Bengalis, strange!?
 

roma

NRI in Europe
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
3,577
Likes
2,489
Country flag
The correct way to say it would be "Sab se aage hai". It makes more sense if you add a pronoun at the beginning since the sentence in itself doesn't look complete. For eg "Wo sabse aage hai" meaning He/she/it is in front of other or He/she/it is ahead of other.
PS: My grammar sucks :biggrin2:
so let's break it down ...what does sab-se mean and what does pehle mean ?

thank you profusely for being the ONLY person who helped me
1 out of the 15 responses that is to say 7% helpfu the other 93 % more interested in arguing and not solving the matter

i suppose that is typical of india ? only 6% lke the nation the other 93 % more interested in arguing ?...so you 93% can go to ..... :daru:

here i am NRI trying to know the language and that's the response ....well im not about to give up okay ! :india2:
 
Last edited:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
7,116
Likes
7,727
That us the peoblem you have. You also seem to assume that everyone should know Hindi, or why else you ignored what I said about Hindiwalas? Hindiwalas don't even care to learn language of other places.

I have met the kind of Bengalis you seem to have encountered exclusively. But, you seem to have met their kind only among Bengalis, strange!?
I don't have problem with anyone except Bengalis!!

May be I will bitch about Tamils when I go to TN otherwise I didn't mind anyone else.
 

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
7,116
Likes
7,727
so let's break it down ...what does sab-se mean and what does pehle mean ?

thank you profusely for being the ONLY person who helped me
1 out of the 15 responses that is to say 7% helpfu the other 93 % more interested in arguing and not solving the matter

i suppose that is typical of india ? only 6% lke the nation the other 93 % more interested in arguing ?...so you 93% can go to :pakistan:

here i am NRI trying to know the language and that's the response ....well im not about to give up okay ! :india2:
Sab- all
se- from,all etc
pehle- front/first
 

Illusive

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
2,890
Likes
3,558
Country flag
so let's break it down ...what does sab-se mean and what does pehle mean ?

thank you profusely for being the ONLY person who helped me
1 out of the 15 responses that is to say 7% helpfu the other 93 % more interested in arguing and not solving the matter

i suppose that is typical of india ? only 6% lke the nation the other 93 % more interested in arguing ?...so you 93% can go to :pakistan:

here i am NRI trying to know the language and that's the response ....well im not about to give up okay ! :india2:
mention naat :biggrin2:

Now, sab means "all",, sabse would mean from all/out of.

Pehle means "first".
 

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles

Top