2016-12-31 — Istanbul, Turkey Terror Attack

pmaitra

At least 35 killed, 40 injured in Istanbul nightclub terrorist attack (GRAPHIC VIDEOS)
Published time: 31 Dec, 2016 23:16Edited time: 1 Jan, 2017 01:36

Ambulances line up on a road leading to a nightclub where a gun attack took place during a New Year party in Istanbul, Turkey, January 1, 2017.© Ismail Coskun / Reuters

At least one gunman dressed as Santa has attacked a night club in Istanbul, killing and injuring scores of people, Turkish media report. Footage shows armored police vehicles surrounding the building as ambulances are rushed to the scene.
At least 35 people were killed and 40 wounded in the attack, Istanbul’s governor Vasip Şahin said, calling the incident a terrorist attack.

The attack took place at the well-known Reina nightclub in the Ortakoy neighborhood, in Istanbul’s Besiktas district.

"A terrorist with a long-range weapon... brutally and savagely carried out this incident by firing bullets at innocent people who were there solely to celebrate the New Year and have fun," Sahin told media at the scene of the attack.

Previously, it was reported that two gunmen were involved in the attack.

Speaking about the circumstances of the attack, Şahin said that the assailant first killed the police officer, who was standing at the door of the club, and then went on a rampage inside, killing innocent civilians.

Eyewitnesses at the club said that the attacker was speaking Arabic, Turkish media are reporting.

The gunman was dressed in Santa Claus outfits, wielding assault rifle, Turkish media said.

The attacker opened fire on clubgoers, injuring at least 20-30, according to NTV. One of the gunmen has reportedly hidden inside the club, while the whereabouts of the second one were not immediately clear.

The number of casualties may rise, as it is estimated that between 700 and 800 people could have been in the club at the time of the attack, Mynet Haber reports.

Emergency crews have been evacuating injured people from the building as police search the area.

After the attacker stormed into the building, some club-goers jumped into the sea in panic, Turkish media cited eyewitnesses as saying. A search and rescue operation for those who jumped in the water is being carried out by maritime police.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
The arrogance of turkey which is not a military power and which depends on NATO for most of its arms should realize that this game of playing with proxies is not for them.
They have already failed themselves in syria and iraq and now the residue will make turkey look like a helpless drowning cattle.

The more of such problems in turkey, they will have to wait longer to be in EU. And erdogen is not interms to blackmail EU as Turkey has already took up tensions with the Russia.

Really sad for the families who lost their loved ones. May God gives them strength.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
@pmaitra : There has been a higher than usual frequency of attacks in Turkey in 2016. What's your take?

Cia cookie factory working overdrive?
Russians messing with their age-old enemies (pilot, ISIS conflicts etc)
ISIS biting back?
Or something else??

pmaitra

@pmaitra : There has been a higher than usual frequency of attacks in Turkey in 2016. What's your take?

Cia cookie factory working overdrive?
Russians messing with their age-old enemies (pilot, ISIS conflicts etc)
ISIS biting back?
Or something else??
It is all speculation, but my take is the same as Geoffrey Chaucer.

“And ofte tyme swich cursynge wrongfully retorneth agayn to hym that curseth, as a bryd that retorneth agayn to his owene nest.”

or

“Curses are like young chicken: they always come home to roost.”

Said that, the establishment cabal, no less led by the Nobel-Peace-Price-winning wedding-party-bombing race-baiting Ukro-Nazi-Arsenic-Yatz-socializing “moderate”-terrorist-sympathizing Barack Hussainovich Obama, might as well be behind this. It appears somebody is worried that Turkey might take a hike from NATO.

It is important to note that the Russian Ambassador to Turkey was assassinated just the day before the Russian Parliament was about to vote in the Russo-Turkish Gas Pipeline.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
It is all speculation, but my take is the same as Geoffrey Chaucer.

“And ofte tyme swich cursynge wrongfully retorneth agayn to hym that curseth, as a bryd that retorneth agayn to his owene nest.”

or

“Curses are like young chicken: they always come home to roost.”

Said that, the establishment cabal, no less led by the Nobel-Peace-Price-winning wedding-party-bombing race-baiting Ukro-Nazi-Arsenic-Yatz-socializing “moderate”-terrorist-sympathizing Barack Hussainovich Obama, might as well be behind this. It appears somebody is worried that Turkey might take a hike from NATO.

It is important to note that the Russian Ambassador to Turkey was assassinated just the day before the Russian Parliament was about to vote in the Russo-Turkish Gas Pipeline.
I'm going with the latter of your guesses.

Also note that turkey has repeatedly said if the EU ditches them (which is almost certain now) then they'd move to the SCO.

One of the advantages (or disadvantages??) of being a medium power in a geopolitically important locale is you have choices and can, if played right, hold great powers hostage.

So Brack's parting gifts. So warm!!!

pmaitra

I'm going with the latter of your guesses.

Also note that turkey has repeatedly said if the EU ditches them (which is almost certain now) then they'd move to the SCO.

One of the advantages (or disadvantages??) of being a medium power in a geopolitically important locale is you have choices and can, if played right, hold great powers hostage.

So Brack's parting gifts. So warm!!!
Too bad that Barack cannot hide behind the barracks entitled (paraphrasing) “you can’t criticize me because I am black.” This race-baiting pathological rhetoric worked initially, but is not working anymore. Three more weeks, and good riddance to bad rubbish.

Coming to Turkey, I couldn’t be bothered if the pseudo-Turks and Kurds escalate. They were hand in glove at the time of the Armenian Genocide.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Too bad that Barack cannot hide behind the barracks entitled (paraphrasing) “you can’t criticize me because I am black.” This race-baiting pathological rhetoric worked initially, but is not working anymore. Three more weeks, and good riddance to bad rubbish.

Coming to Turkey, I couldn’t be bothered if the pseudo-Turks and Kurds escalate. They were hand in glove at the time of the Armenian Genocide.
True.

---
But what do you mean by "pseudo-turks"

Do you mean that the Anatolian-Greek-Armenian--kartvelian-Arab-Iranic-Mongoloid mixture calls themselves turks? Is that wrong, i mean they need an identity too, you know :)

By that measure "tatars" are also "pseudo-turkic"??

I am otm shank

not to deviate or turn the inhumanity perpetrated by isis scum upon civilians but it's interesting to see turkey repeating pakisalafis mistakes of supporting terrorists that commit crimes agains humanity then having the same orgs turn on them and become the biggest victims. Mujahideen/AQ turning on the west is a good example too

Its a lesson to our indo community...Karma will always be the final judgement..you reap what you sow

pmaitra

True.

---
But what do you mean by "pseudo-turks"

Do you mean that the Anatolian-Greek-Armenian--kartvelian-Arab-Iranic-Mongoloid mixture calls themselves turks? Is that wrong, i mean they need an identity too, you know :)

By that measure "tatars" are also "pseudo-turkic"??
Turks live to the East of India, in a place called Turkestan, now under the control of PRC and called Xinjiang.

Yes, you are right. The people of Turkey are not Turks. They are pseudo-Turks. If they need an identity, why not call themselves Anatolian?

Tatars have some Turkic blood in them, but they also have Slavic, Finnic, and other types of blood in them.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Turks live to the East of India, in a place called Turkestan, now under the control of PRC and called Xinjiang.

Yes, you are right. The people of Turkey are not Turks. They are pseudo-Turks.

Tatars have some Turkic blood in them, but they also have Slavic, Finnic, and other types of blood in them.
But they identify as tatar, not as S, F etc.

Turks (in the context of Turkey) are turkic people because they identify as such. Certainly they have a vast array of bloods mixed considering the geographic location of turkey.

You mean like Azeris, or say gagauz. They are all still turks or turkic if you will. Adopting "anatolian" as a name, doesn't change the fact that they identify as turks.

Please also look at the "Chit Chat" thread for some more. We can continue there.

Alekssmol67

I want to remind that Turkey supported terrorists in Syria and delivered them weapon and trained them, fired at the Syrian troops. Turkey tried to struggle with Bashar al-Assad hands of terrorists. And now terror came home to those who armed and trained them. Russia since the beginning of the 1990th years fights against terrorism. We don't try to make something by means of terrorists, to overthrow some government or the state as it was done by the USA, France, England, Turkey, the UAE, Saudi Arabia and others. We know that terrorism is the evil!!! Also we destroy it everywhere where we can. Our troops in Syria battle against terrorists. And again we only who really fights with them!!! Without hypocrisy, without lies and a lie, as the western coalition.

Tactical Frog

Country flag

Yes, you are right. The people of Turkey are not Turks. They are pseudo-Turks. If they need an identity, why not call themselves Anatolian?

I sense a certain hostility towards Turkey in this forum ... why is that, too much support to Pakistan ?
About Turks, of course as a people they are very mixed. Probably the turkish blood from Turkestan was always low. Anatolia is one of those places were invaders used to come by waves. As a matter of fact, I somehow recall that even Gauls ! from my own homeland made incursions into Turkey. It was reported by Livy .https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tectosages

Akshay_Fenix

What the hell is turkey doing. Protecting foreign nationals should be your utmost priority.

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag

What the hell is turkey doing. Protecting foreign nationals should be your utmost priority.
In 2014,Turkey attracted around 42 million foreign tourists, ranking as the 6th most popular tourist destination in the world.This number however declined to around 36 million in 2015 and deteriorated further in 2016,due to a general increase in political violence, political tension with Russia, and terrorist attacks.

Now with recent Istanbul attack one can only see more decline in tourism which is an important share of their income.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

desicanuk

not to deviate or turn the inhumanity perpetrated by isis scum upon civilians but it's interesting to see turkey repeating pakisalafis mistakes of supporting terrorists that commit crimes agains humanity then having the same orgs turn on them and become the biggest victims. Mujahideen/AQ turning on the west is a good example too

Its a lesson to our indo community...Karma will always be the final judgement..you reap what you sow
I remember closet islamist jihadadmirer Erdogan doing nothing and watching with glee when Isis was
slaughtering Kurds in Syria bordering Turkey.Now Turkey is paying the price just as Pakis are.

Tactical Frog

Country flag
Lot of nationalities among the victims :

The attacker does not look Turkish to me . Afghan maybe ?

mayfair

The attack was on a nightclub, in other words a place where Turkish "liberals", tourists and like minded folks would gather, not the types that eulogise and shout AoA at Turdogan's Islamo-fascist gatherings or proclamations.

This was an attack on Turdogan's opponents not his jihadi supporters. This is an attempt to silence and browbeat the relatively modern Turk, who are less on religion and more on Europe. Slowly and steadily Turdogan is transforming Turkey into an Islamist state. Expect more such attacks in the future.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles