2010 FIFA World Cup

plugwater

The 2010 FIFA World Cup will be the 19th FIFA World Cup, the premier international football tournament. It is scheduled to take place between 11 June and 11 July 2010 in South Africa. This will be the first time that the tournament has been hosted by an African nation. The draw for the finals will take place on 4 December 2009 in Cape Town.

The pots for Friday's World Cup draw to be hosted in Cape Town.

Pot 1 (seeds): South Africa (Group A), Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain

Pot 2: Australia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Honduras, Mexico, USA, New Zealand

Pot 3: Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay

Pot 4: Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland

One team from each pot will be drawn into the eight opening round groups for the tournament.

A.V.

so who is going for spain count me in

plugwater

If not England, then Spain (because they play great football, and I like pretty much all their players). But no European team has ever won the World Cup outside of Europe. So this world cup favors Brazil

A.V.

why brazil my second choice is argentina they are good in home concitions also they won it in 86 when it was held in latin america so argentina for me always
lets see

plugwater

But Argentina played very poorly in qualification round. but they somehow make into world cup. also their coach maradona was clueless during some qualification round matches.

plugwater

The draw for next year's World Cup was held in Cape Town and here is how the tournament will shape up.

GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay and France

GROUP B: Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria and Greece

GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria and Slovenia

GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Ghana and Serbia

GROUP E: Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon and Denmark

GROUP F: Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay and Slovakia

GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast and Portugal

GROUP H: Spain, Honduras, Chile and Switzerland

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Group G is the Group of Death this time around with Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast and N. Korea. Ivory Coast is a very good team as they displayed in the last WC. Last time too they were unlucky, grouped along with Argentina and the Netherlands.
I however am more interested in the Brazil - Portuguese contest as many players of Brazilian origin (Pepe) play for Portugal.

no smoking

Country flag
First of all, it realy surprises me that there are some indian friends being interested in soccer.

Secondly, I think brazil would have better chance this time as they are giving more attention to defence under the instuction of Dunga--former defence middle field, even though i am sick of this possibility. (Don't take me wrong, I love their style, just don't like one team always win).

Agentina: yes, they have the best player-Messi, but without a good CF and realiable CD, it will be difficult for them. I don't understand why they don't call Samuel in.

Spain: they have no chance unless they can find a good defence middle field like Senna in 2008.

Other Eureop team: there is no one ready for this time.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Spain: they have no chance unless they can find a good defence middle field like Senna in 2008.

Cesc Fabregas, Xavi Alonso, Xavi Hernandes and David Silva in midfield. What more do you need? Alonso is better than Senna.

Germany and Italy play well in the world cup irrespective of the quality of their team, and Germany BTW is quite good this year. Brazil & Germany are my 2 semi-finalists out of the 4.

plugwater

Cesc Fabregas, Xavi Alonso, Xavi Hernandes and David Silva in midfield. What more do you need? Alonso is better than Senna.
they are under performers in every major tournament except last euro

Rage

DFI TEAM
First of all, it realy surprises me that there are some indian friends being interested in soccer.

Secondly, I think brazil would have better chance this time as they are giving more attention to defence under the instuction of Dunga--former defence middle field, even though i am sick of this possibility. (Don't take me wrong, I love their style, just don't like one team always win).

Agentina: yes, they have the best player-Messi, but without a good CF and realiable CD, it will be difficult for them. I don't understand why they don't call Samuel in.

Ofcourse we are guy! Football is a passion in places like Kolkata, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai, Guwahati, Keralaa and the rest of the north-east. We are a cricket-crazy country, but we have an affinity for every other sport. Purely in terms of following alone, football is the second most popular sport in India.

Here is our national capitain: Bhaichung Bhutia

This is Subrata Pal, our goalkey:

Here is PK Bannerjee, voted FIFA's Indian player of the century, and was one of the most prolific scorers in Asia at his time:

- He's the old guy on the left.

This here is Neville Stephen J. D'Souza, a former player who became the first Asian national to score a hatrick at the Olympics games:

Neville D'Souza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's K.T. Chacko, another famous stalwart of his time, with Brouno Coutinho, Sathyaan and Sharaf Ali.

Football has seen a downswing in India because of bad management. But we did win the AFC cup last year.

Koji

No team in India has won the AFC Cup (President's I'm assuming)

Teams in this competition:Tajikistan, Nepal, Taiwan, Bhutan, Kyrgyzstan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Cambodia, Brunei, Timor-Leste, Laos, Philippines, Guam, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, Palestine and Afghanistan.

We all know though that the real competition is the Asian Champions League, where Japanese teams dominate. Indian teams DO compete in this league but do miserably. GOO GAMBA!

Rage

DFI TEAM
No team in India has won the AFC Cup (President's I'm assuming)

Teams in this competition:Tajikistan, Nepal, Taiwan, Bhutan, Kyrgyzstan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Cambodia, Brunei, Timor-Leste, Laos, Philippines, Guam, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, Palestine and Afghanistan.

We all know though that the real competition is the Asian Champions League, where Japanese teams dominate. Indian teams DO compete in this league but do miserably. GOO GAMBA!
You must be smokin' some good $hit there Papa roach.

India beat Tajikistan, win AFC Challenge Cup
India wins AFC Cup
India in tough group in AFC Challenge Cup - Yahoo! India News
India open AFC Challenge Cup campaign against Kyrgyzstan - Top Stories - Football - Sports - The Times of India

We're talkin about the Challengers' Cup, not President's a.k.a. countries, not teams.

This is the other premier international associational cup hosted by the AFC (other than the President's and the Challengers') that Al Manama, Bahrain and Beirut hosted in 2008:

AFC CUP - 2008 : Kolkatafootball.com

As you can see, we got close, but didn't make it all the way through.

Koji

Wow...The Challenge Cup? I never heard of it, and after googling it I now know why.

"The AFC Challenge Cup is a national Football competition for emerging countries (those in the lowest (of three) categories as designed by the AFC president) that are members of the AFC."

With such esteemed past winner such as Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, I'm sure that it's clear in your mind that the Indian national team is well on its way to the World Cup!

Rage

DFI TEAM
Wow...The Challenge Cup? I never heard of it, and after googling it I now know why.

"The AFC Challenge Cup is a national Football competition for emerging countries (those in the lowest (of three) categories as designed by the AFC president) that are members of the AFC."
Wow! Koji! Did you also happen to come across this in your google endeavors?

"This competition is exclusive to the lower ranking Asian nations. However, in the previous edition, Bangladesh and India were invited from the middle-ranking teams - Bangladesh actually hosting the tournament, and India sending their U-20 team."

With such esteemed past winner such as Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, I'm sure that it's clear in your mind that the Indian national team is well on its way to the World Cup!
If that was meant to provoke, then your doing your job. Tell me 'Koji', did I ever mention India being "well on its way to the World Cup"?

Infact, I distinctly remember saying something like this:

"Football has seen a downswing in India over the years because of bad management."

For a citizen of a country that considers "just qualifying for the 2002 FIFA World Cup" "the greatest accomplishment in China's football history", and that has just one more second place finish in the AFC Asia Cup than India, you're one to talk!

Koji

Qualification is no easy task, and you shouldn't argue with some one especially if you're supporting Indian soccer. You're not going to win. Bolstering your argument by including "middle-ranked teams" to this pathetic low tiered tournament is quite sad.

Japan has reached the round of 16 of the World Cup (no easy task). But to address your point, China and Japan are regular foes in the Asian Cup (the real one with premier teams in Asia). They have met before in the Finals.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles