2002 Gujarat violence: Godhra, Riots and Verdict

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
VIP Please post on this thread. And your comments on the happenings.

aragorn

"¨"¨"©I always call spade a spade. I know some who were involved.And I can assure you, Modi's name was used, most of people never reported him what's going on out there and many not acted what modi ordered them. It was Gordhan Zadafia, home minister at that time who directed this.My friend's father was a'bad's collector at that time.Told me everything.
It might be true as i know for a fact that a day before riots broke up. few people were staying in Paldi area where VHP office is there and Haren Pandya was MLA from there. they told he took active part in riots. The excuse of modi has given free hand to all has came on later stages. Police couldnt act as they were outnumbered by the mob led by these kind of leaders.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
It might be true as i know for a fact that a day before riots broke up. few people were staying in Paldi area where VHP office is there and Haren Pandya was MLA from there. they told he took active part in riots. The excuse of modi has given free hand to all has came on later stages. Police couldnt act as they were outnumbered by the mob led by these kind of leaders.
"¨"¨"©That was indeed true.Well, I can't give specific names. A'bad's S.P. has to hide in a local's house for half day,he was stuck in a sensitive area.Mobs from both sides were active very much.Police was really scared to counter them.If you live in a'bad, you can understand that how hard to control these fanatics.But I'm really surprised that from last 10 years, not a single incident happened there, no curfew,too.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
VIP Please post on this thread. And your comments on the happenings.
"¨"¨"©I'll. You can also go through those videos available on youtube.

Oracle

Yeah, please post the video in the thread. Since I do not subscribe to threads, I might actually miss out watching it as and when you post, and might ask about it again.

hit&run

Mod
Country flag
India media should now shut their rants against Narender Modi and blaming him for orchestrating 2002 riots. Same is expected from their gullible pseudo secular audiences.

I wish same justice was done to victims of 1984 Sikhs lead by mighty congress-I and its leaders who controls judiciary and law enforcement agencies of this nation.

iNDiAN.96

Troll Soldier
I support this verdict as VIP said it was well known that they were involved.

Anyway so today get ready for the same circus of debates on news channels.

If Teesta coming on any debate then I hope they invite Meenaxi Lekhi to counter arguements.

parijataka

Country flag
Cong silent on cadres linked to Guj riots

Why is Congress silent about the part their party members played in Gujarat riots ? And why is media maintaining a studied silence on this issue ? Can we hold Sonia Gandhi as CEO of Congress party as responsible for the criminal activities of Congress minions in Gujarat 2002 riots just as media and NGOs are holding Narendra Modi responsible for the riots as he was th CM. Can Congress party own up and take action against their own as BJP has done ? The following is an old report.

Cong silent on cadres linked to Guj riots
Aug 9, 2003, 11.50pm IST

NEW DELHI: The Congress has been going to town over Best Bakery and other instances of the Narendra Modi government's complicity in the anti-Muslim violence which shook Gujarat last year.

But when it comes to the involvement of its own party cadre in the killings, 10 Janpath maintains a deafening silence. Even when confronted by a long-standing ally from the freedom movement days, the Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind.

According to the JUH, "most Congress corporators" and some Congress leaders of Gujarat had actively participated in last year's riots.

Mahmood As'ad Madani, JUH general secretary told The Times of India: "We wrote letters to Congress president Sonia Gandhi, gave a list of Congress leaders involved in the riots, asked her to take action against them but to no avail."

On April 29, 2002, for example, the JUH received a list of 25 Congress leaders from its Gujarat chapter, which was promptly forwarded to her. This included a former Congress minister, a sitting MLA and a former MP.

Then on August 20, Madani reminded Gandhi: "Similarly our appeal forwarded to you in respect of involvement of Congress MLAs, corporators and workers in Gujarat carnage along with the list of culpable names remains disregarded."

When contacted by TOI, Ambika Soni, in-charge of Gandhi's office, said she was not aware of the correspondence. Ahmed Patel, Gandhi's political secretary, to whom copies were marked by the JUH was not available for comment.

The Gujarat JUH had mapped the Congress leadership even at the district level. Mehsana and Patan districts' list has 8 names of Congress leaders including local MP Atmaram Patel as having played a "negative role." A fax message sent on May 1 from Mehsana has this against Patel's coloumn: "Still has not come to help Muslims; taking sides in favour of a criminal person of Sardarpur and Ladoi village."

A list of 15 from Anand is headed by a secretary of Gujarat youth Congress. But to be fair to the Congress and the JUH, the report is all praise for the "positive role" played by Patan MP Pravin Rashtrapal.

JUH secretary N A Farooqui says: "The Congress has committed sins of omission and commission during the riots. Former MP Ehsan Jaffri had called up Sonia Gandhi for help. She didn't take a strong stand in her subsequent visit to Gujarat. The local bodies were mostly headed by the Congress which could have done a lot for relief and rehabilitation, but it was all left to the NGOs."

Though Farooqui maintains that the JUH "has not severed its relationship" with the Congress, the party's ambivalence has led to debates within the Muslim intelligentsia over which political formation is best placed to defend the country from the danger of communal division.

johnnyboy

Gujarat riots: Court rejects Zakia's plea against SIT report- Politics News- IBNLive

Gujarat riots: Court rejects Zakia's plea against SIT report
Politics news, Posted on Nov 27, 2012 at 05:23pm IST

New Delhi: In a setback to the activists seeking investigation against Narendra Modi in the 2002 riots case, a Gujarat court on Tuesday rejected Zakia Jafri's protest petition against the SIT closure report giving clean chit to the Gujarat Chief Minister due to lapse of time.

In her complaint, Zakia had named Modi as prime accused and wanted him to be called for deposition. A metropolitan court rejected it saying that she had failed to file petitions after numerous directions from the court.

"Zakia Jafri cannot file protest petition against SIT report giving clean chit to CM Narendra Modi due to lapse of time," the court said.

Indianboy

HC admits Maya Kodnani's plea against 28 years in jail

AHMEDABAD: The Gujarat high court on Monday admitted an appeal by former minister Maya Kodnani challenging trial court's decision to send her to jail for 28 years in connection with the Naroda Patia massacre of post-Godhra riots.

In her appeal, Kodnani questioned the SIT court's conclusion that she was the kingpin of the conspiracy and massacre. She claimed the lower court came to this conclusion without evidence.

Even the court's upholding of the prosecution's case that there was a conspiracy hatched before the violence was merely based on presumption and assumption.

This is because there is not a single shred of evidence to prove conspiracy with other accused, she stated in her appeal.

A bench of Justice R R Tripathi and Justice R D Kothari admitted the case for final argument on Kodnani's appeal. "We have sought to know how the special court passed its verdict after overlooking certain facts and how was it based on untrustworthy and contradictory statements of unreliable witnesses," said her lawyer Hardik Dave.

In her appeal, Kodnani highlighted how all 11 witnesses who deposed against her before the SIT court were not reliable.

Kodnani also cited witness Zuber Pathan's deposition saying that he was laughing before the court and additional judge Jyotsna Yagnik asked him to behave seriously.

On not disclosing her name during the earlier probe before the SIT, Kodnani has stated that these witnesses were under police protection since 2002; and still chose to reveal her name in 2008 before the new probe agency. The argument that they were under pressure cannot be accepted.

Then minister for women and child development, Kodnani has also questioned the SIT court's decision to uphold the extra-judicial confession by Babu Bajrangi and others in a sting operation.

She has also claimed that the lower court disregarded the evidence supporting her alibi.

Questioning the lower court's appreciation, Kodnani stated that she could not have been convicted without disproving the earlier probe by the Gujarat police.

The SIT never questioned the earlier probe, nor did the court do it.

In August, the SIT court awarded 32 convicts life imprisonment of various terms - from 24 years to life in jail till death for killing 97 persons on February 28, 2002.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles