10 years later: The war that India forgot

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
10 years later: The war that India forgot

It used to be an eerie landmark; the tree I saw everyday in the summer of 1999, blackened and ripped by incessant bombing at the old brigade headquarters, is green again.
But much else has withered. The legacy of the Kargil war, one of the toughest wars of modern military history — far tougher than Iraq and Afghanistan — has been shortchanged by India’s politics.

A soldier points to a post that Pakistani soldiers had occupied in Drass in 1999. Virendra Singh Gosain / HT Photos

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government has mostly looked away since 2004 when it came to observing the anniversary of the BJP government-era war. President Pratibha Patil was requested to come to Drass, but declined, army sources said.

“I think it’s just disgraceful. They are trying to politicise the issue for no reason,” retired Colonel VN Thapar, father of the late Kargil war hero Capt. Vijayant Thapar, told the Hindustan Times as he prepared to head to Drass, the world’s second coldest inhabited place after Oymyakon in Russia.

That is the casualty in a country where a major section of its under-15 population of 350 million have no recollection of the war and no sense of what it meant for India.

“We used to think armymen live a cushy life and zoom around in cars and waste money — I had no empathy for the Army,” said Manraj Singh, 19, a physical education student from Punjab’s Abohar town, as he sat back after dinner at a restaurant in Drass, a town of 2,000 people. “After we came here and saw how and in what kind of place they fought and won the war for the nation I felt really proud of them.”

More than 520 soldiers died in the Kargil war.

In 1999, Indian soldiers had to clamber up impossible, vertical cliffs amid gunfire to retake strategic Ladakh mountains from hundred of Pakistani raiders, including army regulars who sat on the height and could easily bring down approaching soldiers.

On July 26, the day when victory was declared in 1999, Defence Minister A.K. Antony will only pay a wreath in New Delhi, staying away from the massive 10th anniversary celebration planned in the operational hub of Drass on the weekend when top generals from across India and the families of slain officers and soldiers are to arrive here.

Congress MP Rashid Ali called it “Bharatiya Janata Party’s war”. Coal Minister Sri Prakash Jaiswal said he did not know about the anniversary.

A top army officer shrugged it off. “We chose this life. We aren’t cribbing or hankering after praise. We shall honour our heroes ourselves,” said the officer, declining to be named as he is not authorised to talk to the media.

But Thapar, whose son Vijayant died fighting as he led an advance on a mountain feature called Knoll, said: “This is going a bit too far. I think we should not expect anything from the leaders and have the army and citizens celebrate.”

That is what is happening.

Unlike previous years when Drass hosted mostly western backpackers Indians dominate the tourists who have come here for the summer.

Yes, the former bombed-out dusty town is now a tourist hub.

The town where the ‘market’ was a row of crumbling wooden-shuttered shacks, and just a tea shop for some shelling-time reprieve, now has several small hotels “with complete sanitary fittings” — as one proudly advertised.

“It’s amazing so many Indian tourists are coming this year,” said Mohammed Saleem, 45, of the Afzal hotel. “They want to know what happened at Tiger Hill and Tololing peak and Drass.”

Businessman Saleem Iqbal, 25, sees a greater opportunity.

“If we get permission to take tourists to Tiger Hill on horseback, there will be a big boom,” he said.

Not like the ones he heard everyday in the summer of 1999 as he hunkered fearfully in his first floor marketside home.
10 years later: The war that India forgot- Hindustan Times

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
It should be 'The war the congress government forgot' because it was BJP's war not the war of our country and our Army men. Pathetic congress bootlickers!!!.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
I don't know if the GoI has really forgotten this war. Since 99 the entire armed forces set up in India has been upgraded to accost such a threat. It has taken a long time and it is still a work in progress, but the shift has been immense.

AJSINGH

hopefully some sense sets in UPA ,by staying away from Kargil 10years celebration,they are saying that " kargil was BJP war "

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
India didn't forget. '99 was 'downplayed' and its victory was kept low-key by successive UPA governments. Some low-level congress leaders even had the audacity to call it "BJP's war".

The only way GoI can prevent this from happening is by building a PROPER war memorial with a Military Museum.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I once posted a thread on this forum showing how the world superpowers throughout history have remembered and honored their war dead, the recent celebrations in Moscow at the 65th(no less) anniversary of the end of WW2 being a case in point. even one of the losers of that war Japan has revered it's war dead in the admittedly right wing shrine at Yasukuni .We as a nation have always let our war dead languish in anonymity, if this remains the state of affairs for much longer i fear our collective wish to be a superpower shall never be fulfilled no nation in human history has ever become a superpower by forgetting those that fought for it we shall not be the first.

Reactions: nrj

SHASH2K2

Its a common phenomenon that any govt which gets a 2nd terms becomes a monster. UPA is no diffrent . How can they forget Kargil war. Its time entire nation start reacting to this dirty politics and punish UPA for this act of treason against country pride. It was Indian war and many lost their life for country adn not for BJP .

I hope God Gives some sense to MADAM . I am hoping from God as he is only one who can do something to change mindset of our politicians.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles