10,000 Soldiers opted for premature retirement in Indian Army

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Over 10,000 soldiers opt out of Indian Army

New Delhi: In what is being seen as a reflection of the disenchantment affecting Indian Army soldiers in their relation with their officers, more than 10,000 soldiers took pre-mature retirement from the force last year.

Elaborating on the issue in Parliament, defence minister AK Antony said that 10,315 soldiers opted for premature retirement in 2011, while the figure for 2010 and 2009 was 7,249 and 7,499 respectively.

He said that the jawans, who are better educated than in the past, retire around a productive age of 35 years to look out for greener pastures instead of continuing in the force.

With two major incidents of scuffles and stand-offs being reported this year - one in Ladakh and another in Samba sector of Jammu & Kashmir - the defence establishment has taken a serious note of the growing discord between officers and jawans under the hierarchical system adapted from the British Army.

Antony said the government has taken a number of steps to keep up the morale of the jawans. The ministry is also undertaking a review of the system of appointing 'sahayaks' (called Batman in army parlance).

Sahayaks are actually combatant soldiers who are attached to senior officers for doing their personal work, from polishing his shoes, to maintaining his uniform, taking children to school, doing gardening and assisting the officer's spouse in her chores.

The Army in April had recommended the abolishing of this colonial-era system and recommended recruitment of civilians for such odd jobs. The proposal has evoked a positive response from the defence ministry but a nod is yet to come as the South Block is reviewing the extra financial burden that the recruitment of civilians will incur.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Pay is decent so are the perks but Private sector is booming and Army folks are in great demand.

agentperry

when indian army have nothing special to do then why to maintain such high level of forces? to eradicate militancy enough force is there on borders, i think more than even required.
even forces of new zealand are involved in serious nato operations while indian army is asked to duck cross border firing. its not a question of pay or scuffle but long term stigma of being related to an organization having headless chicken as head

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Army soldiers/officers are always in demand at security and administration services in the private sector, all the way from small offices to top IT MNCs.
As rightly said, since the private sector boom in 90s, this phenomenon has picked up.
By the way, if Army has so many idle personnel why don't they ask the Govt. to let them launch Ops in naxal hit areas etc?

Regards,
Virendra

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
What is wrong with early retirement?

These people can come back again if need arises.

Blackwater

Pay is decent so are the perks but Private sector is booming and Army folks are in great demand.

Phaaji not agree with you. In Pakistan, pvt sector is also booming but its the power and status of army there ,which prompted every Pakistani soldier to take pride. but its not visible in India

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
when indian army have nothing special to do then why to maintain such high level of forces? to eradicate militancy enough force is there on borders, i think more than even required. even forces of new zealand are involved in serious nato operations while indian army is asked to duck cross border firing. its not a question of pay or scuffle but long term stigma of being related to an organization having headless chicken as head
immature comment or attention seeking comment ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Pfff.. 10,000 is peanuts when compare to Army as whole..

Next time they will report 50,000 Army men lack hair oil or some nonsense like that..

Another Media attempt to defame Army..

New Delhi: In what is being seen as a reflection of the disenchantment affecting Indian Army soldiers in their relation with their officers, more than 10,000 soldiers took pre-mature retirement from the force last year.
Golden Words !! ( sarcasm added.. )

Media working against its own country, Paid or in other influence..

ani82v

Country flag
Army soldiers/officers are always in demand at security and administration services in the private sector, all the way from small offices to top IT MNCs.
As rightly said, since the private sector boom in 90s, this phenomenon has picked up.
By the way, if Army has so many idle personnel why don't they ask the Govt. to let them launch Ops in naxal hit areas etc?
Yes, most of admin manager positions in IT companies are all full of retired servicemen.
In fact, our account manager in our previous project was a Navy veteran.

Phaaji not agree with you. In Pakistan, pvt sector is also booming but its the power and status of army there ,which prompted every Pakistani soldier to take pride. but its not visible in India
Thats because the majority of big business in Pakistan is controlled by Army. The biggest FMCG, Cement, construction, Logistic (!) companies are owned by Pakistan Army. One of the reason of decline of Pak railways was that Army made sure that frigates were transported via Army controlled logistic company instead of railway as is the norm world wide.
Not the case in India :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One has to also get the statistics as to how many are from Tech Services of the Army and how many are from the Combat Arms.

There are many who hang around in the Army and fulfil the mandatory service to be declared ex servicemen and then with that tag on their sleeve quit. This tag (especially if from a Technical Service) helps getting jobs in the industry since they are taken to be more disciplined and more acceptable in the chaotic trade union run world!

Even for a security guard one has to pay more for an ex soldier (even if he is from the combat service support) than a civilian security guard. And the ex servicemen guards are paid more by the security organisations!

agentperry

immature comment or attention seeking comment ?
since when you have become arrogant?

not a single person from my college went to army recruitment for officers despite the fact the money and facilities offered by amry is way more than most of the pvt companies.
if no body want sot be officer then soldiers are way too oppressed. being patriot is good but you are becoming nationalist like nimo or ajtr

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
1.When Indian army have nothing special to do then why to maintain such high level of forces? to eradicate militancy enough force is there on borders, i think more than even required.

2. even forces of new zealand are involved in serious nato operations while indian army is asked to duck cross border firing

3. its not a question of pay or scuffle but long term stigma of being related to an organization having headless chicken as head
since when you have become arrogant?

1.not a single person from my college went to army recruitment for officers despite the fact the money and facilities offered by amry is way more than most of the pvt companies.

2.if no body want sot be officer then soldiers are way too oppressed. being patriot is good but you are becoming nationalist like nimo or ajtr

I am fine, though i dont think to post a counter post to the above nonsense..

As far as your friends didn't join, I believe they didn't qualify or failed or the army is not there cup of tea, Its better if they dont..

agentperry

I am fine, though i dont think to post a counter post to the above nonsense..

As far as your friends didn't join, I believe they didn't qualify or failed or the army is not there cup of tea, Its better if they dont..
they all qualified for ssb.
secondly leave aside my friends- vacancies running in multiple of 10000 and soldiers, officers leaving forces at a pace they are not being replaced should make some one think that something is surely wrong in the basic structure. who wish to leave a permanent job offering rupte in society and almost everything for free be it house or wheat flour. that too in the middle of recession and slow down.

rising suicides, dissatisfaction with the job. the list is an abyss.

like you even it makes me sad to see the state our protector. i dont believe in demeaning our forces but instead of turning blind eye one shoudl look into the matter

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
When a jawan is making less than $100 a month, even with most necessities taken care of, I hardly call that decent pay... even in India.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Answer these Questions which is based on your Quite:

officers leaving forces at a pace they are not being replaced should make some one think that something is surely wrong in the basic structure.

who wish to leave a permanent job offering rupte in society and almost everything for free be it house or wheat flour. that too in the middle of recession and slow down.

rising suicides, dissatisfaction with the job. the list is an abyss. i dont believe in demeaning our forces but instead of turning blind eye one shoudl look into the matter

1. What is the average premature retirement in the force ( Solider + Officers ) vs the recruited In the same time, visa verse.. ?

2. Does housing and other facilities are free or paid ? If paid then how much for Soldiers and officers by rank ?

3. What is the rate of Suicides overall in Army compare to US / Russian Army ( anyone ) ?

You are making some serious allegation to Indian forces, I cannot tolerate these nonsense, As this forum is Indian and pro Indian Gov i can ask you for fact to back your claim..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Sir, you can delete my post but the pay schedule say Rs 5000 for a jawan. They do not all get up to Rs 13000 in allowances. The point is being able to save up to have a life, not just survive.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, you can delete my post but the pay schedule say Rs 5000 for a jawan. The point is being able to save up to have a life, not just survive.
I have restored it, basic pay is 5200/- for soldiers, With a grade pay another 2200/- can be added..

I agree with your point..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Jawans should be making Rs 20000 base pay, do away with allowances and just give them what they deserve. Person who decides to have a family or go to school should be no more deserving of cash than a man who likes to be alone and relish his own time.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles