Young Innovators of the Indian Army

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Appreciable innovation by young Army officers | Home | www.narendramodi.in

PM Shri Narendra Modi lauded the young innovators of the Army and shared details of their innovations.

Innovators
IC-71813A CaptNitish Kumar Singh was commissioned on 12 Dec 2009. He is a B.Sc Graduate and is pursuing B Tech Course from Mil College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering. He is a certified ethical hacker from EC-Council (USA). He is associated with the field of robotics since the last two years. He has served in J & K Sector. The officer has developed Unmanned Ground Logistics Delivery System.

Innovations
Unmmanned Ground Logistics Delivery System: A need was felt to develop a robot which could provide logistics delivery capability during operations, thereby minimizing risk to life. The multi terrain robot s operated through voice command given by the user wirelessly, which is capable of detecting obstacles in its way using an ultrasonic sensor, sending its own position using GPS and also carries out surveillance using live video feed. This system makes use of Zigbee technology.

------------------------------

Innovators
JC-758388N Nb/Sub M/Tech Girish Chandra Joshi was enrolled in Army in 1987. He has completed his education till intermediate level. He has obtained invaluable experience by serving in all the Sectors of Indian Army. The JCO is actively involved in developing Indigenized Sub-systems for Long Range Reconnaissance and Observation System.

Innovations
Indigenised Sub Systems for Long Range Reconnaissance and Observation System (LORROS): LORROS is a sensor system which provides long-range day-time and night-time surveillance. It has been found to be very effective in countering infiltration. A number of LORROS were getting out of action due to non-availability of Protocol Converter Card being ex-import and having long lead time. These cards were indigenously developed by Army Technology Centre at a fraction of the cost resulting in increased availability of LORROS to the field formations.

Innovators
IC 78725M Lt AshwinNagpal is B Tech (Electronics) and was commissioned on 14 Dec 2014. During his training at Cadet Training Wing (CTW), he has been awarded Gold Medal for standing first in overall merit. He was awarded Tech Silver Medal from Honorable Defence Minister for topping amongst all three CTWs. His project in robotics was awarded best project in Electronics Engg stream by JawaharLal Nehru University. The officer has developed Remotely Controlled Reconnaissance Vehicle.

Innovations
Remotely Controlled Reconnaissance Vehicle: In order to avoid risk to human life in the Counter Insurgency environment, a need was felt to fabricate a remotely operated vehicle for carrying out reconnaissance of the desired area of operation. It is controlled through the movement of the hand of the operation, thereby providing greater flexibility in operation of the vehicle. Live feed of the camera is transmitted back to the surveillance station and is displayed on screen.

Innovators
IC-71702H MajSeemala Vijay Kumar was commissioned on 13 Jun 2009. He is a B Tech in Electronics and Tele-communications and has a Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management. The officer has served in active Sectors of J & K. The officer is presently posted as Instructor in Mil College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering and has developed Monitoring System for ArmdFmn during Operations.

Innovations
Monitoring System for Armoured (Tank) Formations During Operations: The system shall display the current location, on digital maps, of all forward Gun tanks in Combat Team / Combat Group / Combat Command right up till Corps Headquarter. It is required for augmenting the real time Battle-field awareness system. It consists of three major components namely GPS receiver chip, secure wireless link and monitoring station.

Innovators
JC 761885H Sub Arjun Kumar Jha was enrolled in Army on 27 Apr 1991. He has completed his education till intermediate level. He has served in active field areas of Northern and Eastern Sectors. He has been associated with BOFORS gun since past 10 years. He is presently an instructor in Electronics and Mechanical Engineering School, Baroda. He is associated with Indigenisation of Components of 155mm Bofors Artillery Gun.

Innovations
Indigenisation of Components of 155mm BOFORS Arty Gun: Every year about 200 gun ring kits are required for 155 mm Bofors Gun. Each kit Ex-Import costs about Rs 1,60,000. Due to unreliable supply and to overcome delay in procurement, a need was felt to achieve self-reliance in manufacture of these kits. Indigenization cost of the kit is Rs 55,800/-.

Innovators
No 1467067X HMT V K Sharma was enrolled in Army on 02 Jan 2002. He has completed his education till intermediate level. He has been associated with Radars of Air DefenceRegts of Army. He has a vast experience of serving in the Northern Sector where he associated himself with repairing and maintenance of Unattended Ground Sensor system and on Integration of Day Night Camera with Unattended Ground Sensor System.

Innovations
Integration of Day and Night Camera with Unattended Ground Sensor: In order to improve the overall situational awareness on the Line of Control, the Unattended Ground Sensor (UGS) has been integrated with a day / night surveillance camera. The day / night camera is actuated on generation of a signal from the sensor and live video feed is transmitted to surveillance post leading to real time verification of enemy intrusion.

Innovators
IC-75630F Maj Ajay Rathore was commissioned in Regt of Artillery on 11 Jun 2011. The officer is B Tech in IT and Telecom from Military College of Tele Communication and Engineering, Mhow. He is presently serving in J & K Sector. He has developed Real Time Tracking System for Mobile Patrols.

Innovations
Real Time Tracking System for Mobile Patrols: Once soldiers move out for patrolling, there may be a need to automatically know the exact position of the patrols. A module has been designed, which integrates the GPS and radio set STARS V and transmits the GPS signals. This data is received at the control station and displayed on screen in real time basis. It provides enhanced situational awareness and enables post operation analysis to be carried out at higher headquarters.

Innovators
SS 43712W CaptVivekChaudhary is B.Sc qualified and was commissioned in 2009. He has completed B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering and from Mil College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering. He has developed system for Monitoring Serviceability of Electrical Transformers.

Innovations
System for Monitoring Serviceability of Electrical Transformers: A need was felt to develop a system to carry out real time remote monitoring of health of the electrical transformers through Wi-Fi, so as to avoid interruption of power supply, maximizing component life by avoiding the conditions that reduce equipment life and minimizing repair costs. Parameters like voltage, current, power factor, temperature are closely monitored through various sensors.

Last edited:

pkroyal

At last research / innovation is out of the hands of lazy .arm chair, highly over valued so called scientists & into the capable hands of the users.

I am proud it has happened,when I am alive to applaud their achievements.

may their fraternity increase & swell.

Uttheist Bharata ( long live bharat /india/hindustan)

Last edited by a moderator:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Good development.

Hopefully some of them if not all undergo improvement, trails and induction into the ground.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It makes us proud, But sad thing is none of these or before these ever get into trials leave alone inducting them ..

The reason is same as for other Indian design and made systems, Lobbies always had deep influence within our community and some share also goes to the dull minded people with high ego within the ranks ..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Great work done.

They must have been tried by users and passed fit.

A big sabash to them is what one can say and maybe a SM or VSM for innovative work.

@Kunal,

You overdo this 'lobby' issue too much.

If there were such powerful lobbies, then these innovations would not have seen the light of day or mention by the PM.

Are you aware the Indian made and Army devised sensor and surveillance equipment is used on the LC?

If lobbies were so powerful then we would have imported them and not have Indian made/ designed LC equipment.

We have talent in our scientist pool but unfortunately in all research organisations, there is total lethargy and the sole desire to hang on to a safe Govt job with pension.

Does Indian Science Suck?

What a question, many would say. Particularly in a blog post that is close on the heels of a special report on innovation that we did in Forbes India March 2 issue. Actually, this question emanates from the feedback to that report.
So, does Indian science suck? Yes and no.
Yes, because like so many other enterprises in this country, scientific enterprise is not without flaws, major flaws some would say, and I fully agree. Choking bureaucracy, hierarchy, orthodoxy, mediocrity, follow-the-supervisor (or Godfather) culture, fear of asking bold questions, doing-confirmatory-tests-and-saving-the-skin, science-lodged-in-ivory-tower-syndrome "¦the list goes on. All the reader comments I got in this story, are true and justified. I even got a few calls asking why didn't I flag the major issues plaguing the system.
But don't we know that already? The reason we did this story was to talk about the change that is unfolding. And as my editor says, "Our story isn't about the state of Indian science."
So let me take a few criticisms, one by one.
People say the ills of the system are self-perpetuating. Prof Jayant Murthy of Indian Institute of Astrophysics has commented: "The institutions that are being set up have the same old people in charge. These people, by and large with exceptions, are hidebound and hierarchical. In many cases, they are self-perpetuating because they pick their successors in their own mold."
True, but let me give a few examples of change: When IISER Pune was set up and K Ganesh made it's director, one of the criticisms floating around was that Prof CNR Rao, chairman of the scientific advisory committee to the PM who promoted setting up of five IISERs, chose his son-in-law as the first director. It was a valid point. I don't know if there were more suitable candidates, but today IISER is certainly considered to be shaping very well.
If you've read the NCBS story in the package, you'd know how S Ramaswamy was brought back from the US to lead a few new centres at NCBS.
While it's good to have change agents from outside, sometimes even insiders can do the magic if they want to. Prof Pankaj Jalote, an IIT-system product, is running a new institute Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology in Delhi. And visiting faculty there sing praises of his professionalism and the speed with which ideas get executed.
Another reader comments: "This initiative has the capability to change India's fortune obviously if properly executed which does not happen most of the times. Nothing less than a revolution is required."
It's bang on. Some of the architects of these initiatives understand that and question the limitations publicly. DBT secretary MK Bhan says there is substantial legacy problem in the institutions which are not thinking about younger people who don't feel part of the system. So, does he only lament or is he doing something?
He is working with the older IITs on this as he is helping them establish research infrastructure in lifesciences. He is setting up network called Bio-Connect in Bangalore that would look after young researchers in life sciences across the country. RA Mashelkar in the last issue of Science proposes a new Academy for the younger generation so their voices could be heard.
Bhan even wonders if "our ambition is larger than what we have in the government" as he seriously wishes the government would do systemic and institutional studies to pinpoint and eliminate the bureaucratic and ideological limitations and do public-private partnerships in the right manner. But does that stop him from innovating in his own department? No.
When I asked DST secretary T Ramasami how can the industry be made part of the innovation process so that both public-funded research and industry work to each other's strengths, he gave a fitting example: At Central Leather Research Institute in Chennai, a CSIR center with the then budget of Rs 15.8 crore, he raised Rs 13.8 crore from the industry. So the basic question is not whether industry is willing to participate but whether both can work to each other's time scales. Industry needs to innovate and execute faster, but Indian institutions want to file patents just to be able to publish papers. (Once the patent is filed, they can publish and get their academic credit as our system is more geared towards rewarding publication than innovation). Is there a common ground?
Yes, but covering that sufficiently requires a significant cultural change. It may not happen soon. "Not in my tenure, or even in my lifetime", says Ramasami. "But if I have to play the role of Rahul Dravid for this country in science, I don't' care how long I need to bat, whether I get runs or whether I'm sweating hard or not, I bat."
I am tempted to tell him (in retrospect, of course) that given the present need, he and other batsmen in Team India Science need to swing for the fences, not just settle for singles and doubles.
This special report is not only about how Ramasami, Bhan, and others are batting, but how they can inspire and facilitate many more, both test players and T-20 enthusiasts, to score quick tons.

Read more: http://forbesindia.com/blog/economy-policy/does-indian-science-suck/#ixzz3P3PXNASI

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, I agree what you said but how much these life saving innovation get out of local units ?, In the end the mass of similar equipment are purchased from outside even their are Indian pvt companies make such system under Army observation but when ready they are even too hard to see in practice ..

Sir, DRDO or HAL system are indeed infected with many issues, Sorting them out is the solution as their are no other system can replace them ..

@Kunal,

You overdo this 'lobby' issue too much. If there were such powerful lobbies, then these innovations would not have seen the light of day or mention by the PM.

Are you aware the Indian made and Army devised sensor and surveillance equipment is used on the LC? , If lobbies were so powerful then we would have imported them and not have Indian made/ designed LC equipment.

We have talent in our scientist pool but unfortunately in all research organisations, there is total lethargy and the sole desire to hang on to a safe Govt job with pension.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Hopefully those days are over. For the first time a PM has directly taken interest and promoting indigenous innovation and products.

Times they are a-changin... :violin:

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
Your old road is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last

It makes us proud, But sad thing is none of these or before these ever get into trials leave alone inducting them ..

The reason is same as for other Indian design and made systems, Lobbies always had deep influence within our community and some share also goes to the dull minded people with high ego within the ranks ..
At last research / innovation is out of the hands of lazy .arm chair, highly over valued so called scientists & into the capable hands of the users.

Great work done.

They must have been tried by users and passed fit.

A big sabash to them is what one can say and maybe a SM or VSM for innovative work.

@Kunal,

You overdo this 'lobby' issue too much.

If there were such powerful lobbies, then these innovations would not have seen the light of day or mention by the PM.

Are you aware the Indian made and Army devised sensor and surveillance equipment is used on the LC?

If lobbies were so powerful then we would have imported them and not have Indian made/ designed LC equipment.

qafir

This type of logistic delivery system ,serving in various armies around the globe .....
What is innovative ?????????
I am sure ,it will a replica of existing logistic delivery system.
Ha ha ha ha.....

Blood+

Country flag
This type of logistic delivery system ,serving in various armies around the globe .....
What is innovative ?????????
I am sure ,it will a replica of existing logistic delivery system.
Ha ha ha ha.....
If you must troll,then at least do it with some style!!You are far too crude to be taken seriously and if you do not improvise,all your efforts will go in vein. :)

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Sorry to inform you, if not all, some is not made by those who they say. Cant tell you more. Hints in the report itself. Sad some people do such kind of things it only going to discourage people who want to help our country.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles