Year 2035: Some possible scenarios

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by Sakal Gharelu Ustad, May 21, 2012.

1. Razor

Razor STABLE GENIUS Moderator

The problem with Africa is that most of the nations are artificial. The Europeans just drew some lines on the map. Now, the only thing that might incline these people to work together with minimal conflicts is the prospect of seeing their children eat food and the prospect of seeing their children learn something at school. But these are the common people, not the people in power, they would rather have their own power base. They might think of carving more nations out of Africa as is already seen in the case of South Sudan (created on 9th Jul 2011) and Azawad (declared on 6th Apr 2012). Even though there will be economic development in Africa, I doubt the lives of the people will drastically improve.

Conflict is embedded in human nature. I think it's wishful thinking to suggest that their wouldn't be world wars in the future. And it's precisely the lack of resources which will cause these wars/conflicts.
    Lets say you have a room and you put two humans in it with one apple. They will probably share it. Now lets say you put 10 humans and an apple, what do you think will happen ?
    Saying that there wouldn't be large scale wars in the future is incorrect.

Agreed. Both nations will have pretty awesome navies by 2035.

Innocent, Mad Indian and balai_c like this.
  2. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" = PKAKB Senior Member

:pound: :rofl: :laugh:

3. balai_c

balai_c Regular Member

Thanks for the nice rebuttal buddy. War can indeed happen at any point, with anyone. But 2nd world war had a distinct characteristics: availability of raw materials from the colonies, as I mentioned before. Without raw materials, how can the existing great powers create war machines (like ships, tanks, bombs)?
    That is one of the reason erstwhile naval powers like Spain, Portugal are minnows today. Nations like USA, Russian Federation have immense possibilities today.

That is also the reason, countries like India, China who have both natural resource and human capital have a great future.

The biggest problem with Africa is the relentless ethnic strife even to this day. Unless they learn to accept their diversity as a source of unity rather than distress, like India have achieved , intra-Africa conflict with continue to happen. And outside powers will continue to take advantage, like they did centuries before.

parijataka likes this.
  4. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

This partly answers:

This also explains a bit:
    Source: The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Opinions

Many ponds and lakes have died due to negligence in the past. It is cheaper to revive them and build small check dams in the local area rather than build huge dams. Although some small links on the inter-linking project might be good.

Details on various inter-linking projects: Welcome To NWDA
    You can find such maps on this website: [​IMG]

Mad Indian and balai_c like this.
  5. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

Russia has embarked on a long, slow, but inexorable decline. Its population is rapidly declining, and the only thing keeping its relevance in the world is its vast energy resources and the remnants of its Soviet-era military and industrial complex. Russia will still be important, but I doubt it will ever regain the same status as it had during the Soviet era. It is even conceivable that Russia will join the EU in the future, provided the EU will not collapse and the current trends continue.

America, too, is on the decline, but its decline will be much slower and much longer. I'm tempted to draw a comparison with the Roman Empire, from which America's founding fathers drew considerable inspiration.

parijataka and ashdoc like this.
  6. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

check dams and rain water harvesting alone is not going to solve the problems. We still have river water sharing issues. We still have annual floods and droughts. I think 20 years down the line, dramatic measures will be require to sustain ourselves.

7. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

In India another imp thing may come up where corporates actually take over the working of political parties- direct funding for working to ruling parties and entire purchasable democratic setup in place. finally money talks and in India margins could be pretty high provided you have the parliament with you

8. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    Something interesting i found related to the topics we have been talking about here
    [video]http://www.slideshare.net/TheEconomist/megachange[/video]

Sakal Gharelu Ustad likes this.
  9. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Actually they are right. Most of the water for irrigation in Tamil nadu comes from the harvesting of the rain water in the name of Ponds and check dams than from the major rivers. But whats sickening is that these water bodies are rapidly depleting, thanks to encroachment on these ponds by the greedy pigs. The bureacrats and red tap is not really doing anything other than take cash for it. I dont know about others, but TN will surely descend to chaos soon if this present practice is not reversed . Just one year of failed monsoon is enough to create a shell shock reaction.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad likes this.
  10. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

^^ Most regions depend on underground water. So, policies that help in recharging underground water should take precedence. But developing local water bodies and removing encroachment from existing ones do not sound as fascinating as river linking.

And agriculture demands maximum supply of water. So, depending on region optimal crops can be chosen. One stark example on this front is Punjab and Haryana. They have one of the best river and canal networks in India but still the underground water level is in red zone in some areas with water table below 60m. Reason, excessive rice plantation. Many farmers were cultivating three crops in a year and the government had to finally ban the third crop looking at the severe conditions.

All the ponds in my village are either encroached upon or they do not get rain water because of unplanned construction. River interlinking cannot solve this coordination problem.

11. Mad Indian

You talk about 50m as red levels. But the common depth at which the water can be reached in TN is 300-600m now. Imagine the situation of TN. some think the water problem can be solved by water desalination from seas:confused:. I mean really?? How exactly is sea water gonna provide for agriculture which consumes the bulk of water requirements? More cost effective practical way is to create mass rain water harvesting programs and to utilise the rain water to the maximum with the help of ponds and other water resource.

Again in 2001-06 JJ tried to force rain water harvesting on the people of TN. The response she got was so awesome thanks to the negative media focus on the plan by DMK controlled media that she had to abandon it all together.

Another worrying aspect is the sand theft occurring at the river banks:tsk:. It May sound crazy but without the sand banks to hold the water in its place the water levels Will deteriorate faster than it should. This is happening as we speak now and no one seems to care about it. I don't know when our people are gonna actually care about our environment:(.

We don't even have to wait for a decade to see that happen. Even now all it Will take to create massive unrest in TN is one failed monsoon:sad:

12. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

^^ I think you are confusing metres with feet. Check your sources again.

Mad Indian likes this.
  13. Mad Indian

^^^Oops. Sorry. My mistake. Its 300-600 fts which translates as 100-200m. Some times it is about 650ft or 220m. Even then compare it with punjab .

PS: thanks for correcting the mistake:)

14. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

By 2035 India either accepts to move away from Democracy thus keeping its territorial integrity intact OR India breaks up into smaller states all demanding independence.

15. SADAKHUSH

SADAKHUSH Senior Member Senior Member

I will have to sit down for few hours in silent room and gaze into my crystal ball to see the year 2035. It will be interesting to see how many of us will be correct in predicting the future.

16. aerokan

aerokan Regular Member

(Assuming we will be in a connected and globalized world) If India is on the rise, then it is hard to break up or move away from democracy. The more economically stronger a country becomes, the more freedom they ask. And the govt's can't ignore those requests as easily as they are doing now. Nobody wants to move away from a country on a growth trajectory unless they are too ruthless and don't let them survive with protests. Naturally u get more liberal tendencies when the economy is on rise. When u have declining economies, things will start looking bleak for democracy.

17. afako

afako Hindufying India Senior Member

Nah Nah Nah.

Fact is Nehru had promised that In case of an Undivided India with the Stupid Nehru at the Helm, Deobandi would be recognized as the Sole Authority of Indian Muslims. Jinnah offered nothing better. Hence Deobandi were Selfish in Opposing Partition.

18. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

your #1 is closer and closer

Russia establishes state agency for North East Passage
    Russia establishes state agency for North East Passage
    [​IMG]

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  19. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

I think there will be no pakistan in the map.......

sayareakd and datguy79 like this.
  20. average american

average american Senior Member Senior Member

I would be concerned that by 2035 China would be technological advanced enough and with a tremendous manfacturing capacity and manpower that they could produce and operate enought drones to dominate asia if not the entire world.