Xuelong trapped after rescuing Russian ship

amoy

http://thebricspost.com/xuelong-trapped-after-rescuing-russian-ship/#.UsoWKbKBTaI
January 4, 2014, 6:19 am

A Chinese research vessel and icebreaker that played a key role in evacuating the trapped passengers of a Russian vessel stranded off the Antarctic is now itself trapped in dense ice, maritime authorities said Saturday.

Xuelong's movement is now blocked by a one-km-long iceberg which is continuously drifting northwest.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has requested all-out efforts to ensure the safety of the crew aboard the Chinese research vessel and icebreaker.

Xi also lauded the bravery of the 101-member expedition team as they battled heavy floe to rescue the Russian crew and passengers.

"Xuelong's rescue mission had been accomplished under extreme risks and has won honor for China and the people," the Chinese President said on Saturday.

The Chinese ship participated in rescuing 52 passengers on Thursday from the Akademik Shokalskiy, a Russian cruise vessel which had been stuck in the Antarctic since December 24.

A rescue helicopter from the Xue Long flew the passengers to the nearby Aurora Australis.

Meanwhile, Xuelong has confirmed to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority that it is safe, is not in distress and does not require assistance at the time, according to the latest statement from AMSA.

Wang Jianzhong, captain of Xuelong, said that currently the tidal conditions are extremely complex and will attempt to maneuver through the ice only after the giant iceberg drifts away.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Global warming is Hell :rolleyes:

jon88

Country flag
It's a noble effort by the Chinese icebreaker and it is unfortunate for it to get stuck too in the effort. If it is any consolation, I bet China will be even more determined to have better icebreakers and ultimately perhaps build a few.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

A Chinese research vessel and icebreaker that played a key role in evacuating the trapped passengers of a Russian vessel stranded off the Antarctic is now itself trapped in dense ice, maritime authorities said Saturday.
This why The world community always arguing about Chinese Products

Here a Icebreaker trapped in Ice

nimo_cn

Country flag
add more The Raw materials are from the Earth
No need to be a troll, you can google it.

I meant no offence to the Russians by revealing who actually built the ship. The ship is one of the best of its kind, something I doubt you Indians have ever owned.

The ship was trapped simply because of the drastic weather, it has nothing to do with the quality of the ship.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles