Would India lease a naval base to USA in the Indian Ocean??

Country flag
i think the real question is would US want a base in India...??i mean they have a huge naval base right in are backyard- strategically located and easy access to the gulf and Malacca straight....then why create such a fuss in India....??
There is thousands of miles of water inbetween the two with no access or limited access.

Neil

Country flag
There is thousands of miles of water inbetween the two with no access or limited access.
yeah but atleast they dont have any political compulsions they can do what they want on the island.....

Country flag
4,000 natives of Diego Garcia were evicted in the 1960's for the US base.

JHA

BTW No one knows what is in stores of DIEGO GARCIA...

A thought just came into my mind..If we play our cards right we may even be able to get a small base in IRAN...what say..?

Neil

Country flag
A thought just came into my mind..If we play our cards right we may even be able to get a small base in IRAN...what say..?
we had a agreement with Iran to use their bases for military purpose in case of war with pakistan....dont know if that still exist mostly after we voted against them at IAEA.....

and in case of Iran we cant play any of are card perfect.....

Agantrope

It gives USA access to the biggest gap in there naval bases worldwide and it buys India time to buildup and train to be a blue water navy.
US is a camel, it ask shelter for its head and then it make the owner of the tent to run away.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
india will never lease a base to US in the indian ocean. as our economy will grow the capability of our armed forces will also grow and we will expand more into the indian ocean region and pacific and we will have the same confrontation with the US and CHINA as the two countries are facing in the south china sea. our goal is to become a world power which the US will never allow us to do if we become more and more dependent on them.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
We are already have access to Chabahar port in Iran.

Also, India is not some small country that needs protection. If we sell ourselves to the US we mind as well forget about ever becoming a superpower. The IN is more than capable of taking on the PLAN in the IOR and the IA is more than capable of defending Arunachal Pradesh and Ladakh.

Agantrope

In any case few things are pre-requisites -

1] GOI will have to overcome tremendous internal pressure & prove that Govt stand is not serving US interests but mutual or specifically Indian.

2] US will have to assure that its partnership with Pak & Af-pak policy in not part of this move.

3] Care to be taken that US Military buildup is not targeted to dominate Asia & will not turn into another US-Russia global power game.
One thing to be frank, nothing will happen until 2012, i mean the day Obama leaves the office and another fellow McCain takes over it

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
One thing to be frank, nothing will happen until 2012, i mean the day Obama leaves the office and another fellow McCain takes over it
By late 2012 many things will change & their equivalent ramifications will be felt everywhere post-2013.

JHA

Which is more difficult to build..A SSN or, a SSBN..? From what I know SSBN is a more complex. Its surprising that we went for a relatively complex submarine straightaway..
All other countries have made a fleet of SSNs first then have tried making SSBNs..
We do have a weird policy regarding Submarines..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
SSBNs are required to give us the credible deterrence we are looking for. SSNs don't serve our purpose right now. Not after we get those AIP subs

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Is leasing a Naval base to USA in the Indian ocean a good option for India? Is this a good solution to protect trade and stop Chinese encroachment? Discuss the complexity of this if it were to happen. Where?? How long?? what would be allowed to be placed there?? etc... Diego Garcia (British colonial territory) already leased but something closer to Asian continent.It gives USA access to the biggest gap in there naval bases worldwide and it buys India time to buildup and train to be a blue water navy.

They already have a base in Diego Garcia which IS IOR. I don't agree that we should consider handing out bases. We didn't do it to the Soviets (at least openly), nor are we going to do it with Americans. We are an independent country and our Navy in coming years is going to be able to handle PLAN well enough. Most of the reports of PLAN acceleration is also just reports. Even for an economy that big, the rate of development as reported doesn't make any sense. They're twice our size in quantity and replacing all their oldies with new ones (most of the fleet) is not an easy joke not even if 100 million sit and work.

They're modernizing but we aren't sleeping either. Their strength is a strong underwater force of submarines while ours is a strong surface fleet and Naval air arm. Our Navy is no weakling to run to some other country for protection. A strategic relationship is good enough between US and India. It all depends on how subservient the ruling GOI is to the Chinese and how much yellow-bellied they are "not to upset" China and losing our own face.

Unless the central government of a country is non-appeasing and strong in response, even US Navy with its fancy stuff cannot do much.

VersusAllOdds

We are already have access to Chabahar port in Iran.

Also, India is not some small country that needs protection. If we sell ourselves to the US we mind as well forget about ever becoming a superpower. The IN is more than capable of taking on the PLAN in the IOR and the IA is more than capable of defending Arunachal Pradesh and Ladakh.
Exactly what I said.
Also, the deal with the US would sure help India on the short run, but when US come, they don't leave.

Also, I think India's nuclear deterence is enough to prevent an outright invasion. You guys are being to generous towards the chances of an open war with China, it just won't happen, China doesn't want that in the first place.
As for the Russians - why would they need a naval base anywhere around the world when they don't have a real superpower navy? They can't spread their naval tentacles anywhere further than their own neighbourhood, only USN is capable of that.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
We should not lease even a cm of our land to them.

I dont want them having anything on our land...we dont need there help to defend ourselves.

sandeepdg

LF mate, you also started a thread about India giving a base to Russia in the Indian Ocean, I suppose. Though giving a base to Russia is much better than giving base to the Americans, but the fact is the Russian navy is limited in its ability of power projection. Russian vessels rarely venture out as far as the Indian Ocean, they are mostly travel the Arctic areas, Black sea and the Barents sea. As for the American, they have well established base in Diego Garcia which can be used to stage all sorts of naval and aerial ops anywhere in South Asia, the Middle east and Africa. So why would they need a new base since Diego Garcia falls in IOR ? And finally, I want to ask who are we to decide to whom we should give a naval base to ! Its not that that we own the Indian Ocean just because its in our backyard, rather we should ask that whether we are comfortable with a foreign power having a base in our backyard. As for the US base in Diego Garcia, I think it hardly matters to the IN or the government as it has been around for more than 20 years now and they are not hostile towards us. The only concern at present is that a hostile power (China) doesn't come up with a base in any country surrounding India. Finally, when the Far Eastern Naval Command is completely upgraded, then I don't think anybody would be able to challenge such a massive buildup and we won't need any foreign power's intervention in IOR other than the Americans who will always be there !!

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
It gives USA access to the biggest gap in there naval bases worldwide and it buys India time to buildup and train to be a blue water navy.
Doesn't the USN have Diego Garcia in the IOR?

Atul

Founding Member
I Do not think our Policy makers are so foolish to lease a naval base to USA in the Indian Ocean? (Probably in the Lakshadweep)

And the opposition will see it as a complete surrender to the US.

sustaining all the pressure If Govt Of India (GOI) does lease, getting the US to evacuate them later will not be a easy task.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles