Would India give Russia a naval base in the Indian Ocean?

Country flag
guyz y r we even discussing this....i mean we didnt gave base to either of this country even during the height of cold war....then y nw...??
giving or even leasing a base undermines r policy in international arena....so we need to keep r motherland to ourself and nt sell it to others.....
we did not give anything but others took. Two good examples Diego Garcia and the string of pearls.

Country flag

Neil

Country flag
we did not give anything but others took. Two good examples Diego Garcia and the string of pearls.
i must say i dnt knw anythng abt diego garcia[if u cn plz provide the link]....bt hw string of pearls[they r in d region nt on any of r land]....??

Country flag
i must say i dnt knw anythng abt diego garcia[if u cn plz provide the link]....bt hw string of pearls[they r in d region nt on any of r land]....??
Both of these are in our Ocean and impact us strategically and also possibly Maldives in the future may possibly be a new pearl in the string.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-01/06/content_9269904.htm

http://professio.blogspot.com/2007/07/diego-garcia-secret-us-military-base.html
Diego Garcia: The Secret US Military Base

Country flag
Last edited:

Neil

Country flag
no military wastes time and resources to showoff, Russians want to maintain a presence in the major waters/oceans of the world especially with their increasing oil export, even expanding into South America. My question is why Russians have no presence in the Indian Ocean??

http://crudeoiltoday.com/russian-oil-production-limited-by-export-routes/
Russian Oil Production Limited by Export Routes
with al due respect to u , i dnt thnk russian economy is in a shape to even make use of its existing fleet and operate them in such a wide areas of the world, to use so much of its precious/limited resources on operating a base in foreign land is by al means a waste and showoff kind of stuff to the rest of the world......

SHASH2K2

I think India is more than strong enough to provide security to Russian assets in Indian Ocean. Russians need not concentrate in Indian ocean to start rivalry with America.

Country flag
with al due respect to u , i dnt thnk russian economy is in a shape to even make use of its existing fleet and operate them in such a wide areas of the world, to use so much of its precious/limited resources on operating a base in foreign land is by al means a waste and showoff kind of stuff to the rest of the world......
Russian economy is doing better than under the Soviet Empire,where they had a major naval presence,the oil exports are bringing a lot of revenues and it will be in Russia's interest to secure transport routes. All the big powers are in the Indian Ocean except the Russians. Currently they do fly Bombers over the Indian ocean every once in awhile and that is it.

Last edited:

Neil

Country flag

SHASH2K2

Prepared for rise of Russians. They are doing much much better than they were supposed to do .May be this time they will not be very hostile against Americans. This is going to be better for India also.

Neil

Country flag
Russian economy is doing better than under the Soviet Empire,where they had a major naval presence,the oil exports are bringing a lot of revenues and it will be in Russia's interest to secure transport routes. All the big powers are in the Indian Ocean except the Russians. Currently they do fly Bombers over the Indian ocean every once in awhile and that is is.
yeah...bt their economy is heavily dependent on oil whch makes recession more dangerous thn US nuclear warhead....
guess indian ocean is nt tht impotant for the russians or may b they r nt gttin ryt base they desire 4...??

Neil

Country flag
I think India is more than strong enough to provide security to Russian assets in Indian Ocean. Russians need not concentrate in Indian ocean to start rivalry with America.
yeah INDIA cn...bt i dnt thnk russians will ask 4 it....
russians still hav rivalry with americans bt they hav to b limited,i dnt thnk they cn tke americans head-to-head like old times.....

Country flag
Russians do not have the same rivalry against USA but it still make a good choke point to stop energy supplies to China along with the central asian pipelines.

SHASH2K2

yeah...bt their economy is heavily dependent on oil whch makes recession more dangerous thn US nuclear warhead....
guess indian ocean is nt tht impotant for the russians or may b they r nt gttin ryt base they desire 4...??
Oil is going to be one of most important resource in coming years. so Russians will have lots of money and bargaining power.

Neil

Country flag
Russians do not have the same rivalry against USA but it still make a good choke point to stop energy supplies to China along with the central asian pipelines.
even Europe...to a gr8 extent.....

SHASH2K2

You are absolutely right. Neither India not Russia want china becoming assertive . Moreover in past year or so Chinese behavior has made almost susceptible and in case of any eventuality they will all be with India. Good thing is that Except China and its gang we have good relationship with almost everyone.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Prepared for rise of Russians. They are doing much much better than they were supposed to do .May be this time they will not be very hostile against Americans. This is going to be better for India also.
Much better than they were supposed to do? The Russian economy collapsed 8% last year, the worst among G-20 nations. They don't spend 1/3rd the resources needed to modernise the armed forces and their MIC is crumbling away. They are not rising, they are on a crutch trying to keep from falling on their face.

SHASH2K2

Much better than they were supposed to do? The Russian economy collapsed 8% last year, the worst among G-20 nations. They don't spend 1/3rd the resources needed to modernise the armed forces and their MIC is crumbling away. They are not rising, they are on a crutch trying to keep from falling on their face.
Please tell me that last year how many economies were in + ve growth. Their economy is heavily dependent on Oil and prices plummeted and so a -ve growth.Morever If Russia Falls Entire Europe will freeze to death.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Please tell me that last year how many economies were in + ve growth. Their economy is heavily dependent on Oil and prices plummeted and so a -ve growth.
Good point, their economy is based on oil and it was based on the rise of oil as well. The actual industrial and services sectors of the Russian economy were stagnant during their oil boom and now is in steep decline. Most of their oil wells will be drained in the next 5-10 years. Where is the rise of Russia?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles