Would India give Russia a naval base in the Indian Ocean?

Parashuram1

India has already enough problem to solve with China, US, Burma, srilanka and pakistan in indian ocean why should creat another one. first try to tackle problems of china and became stable power in india before hosting someone. but they can use Anthaman and nicobar for bilateral naval excercies. but in one condition giveing first previlage to indai's defense tie. because using us to stand and helping china will be a backdrop in our defense stratgic.
I don't think Indians have a problem with Burma. The only worry they have according to insider sources is about China gaining influence. Also there is a limited love-hate relationship between India-Bangladesh, India-Nepal, India-Sri Lanka which is too minor to be called a conflict. Though Nepal and Bangladesh make disputed territorial claims, I think that is a way to get more land from the big brother in a softer way. I don't think India needs to clarify its borders to its neighbors.

The only 2 problem countries India faces are Pakistan and China. Besides, the Japanese constitution renounced war half a century ago. They won't bother with even defending themselves without US nod.

Parashuram1

Who do you think voted in a more favorable government towards the Chinese? Who do you think proposed the East-Asian bloc? Who initiated the joint military exercises? Who sided with China on those ADB loans to India? Who invited Chinese military officials to tour our AEGIS destroyers?
That is what he's saying regarding you being quite unusually pro-Chinese for being a Japanese, while your country is steadfast alongside Indians.

seiko

With all do respects to the all weather friend Russians its is not a good idea to allow Russia base in India..it will force US to increase the fleet level in Diego Garcia to keep a check on Russian fleet too which will force us to increase our security too..At this present stage Russia nor India is not capable of matching US..and also it will also compels China to make a permanent base for its naval force in Gawdar or Coco islands and Pakistan and Myanmar will happily let them do it and also i read in an old article US is looking for a base in Bangladesh or Sri Lanka to keep an eye on India and China..They will pressurize these countries for it..if one of these countries obliges we will ended up having threat from three sides and our Navy at this present strength cannot face that kind of threats..

Country flag
Seiko interesting points but China has already went ahead with their naval base plans in Gwadar regardless of a Russian base in the Indian ocean. It seems all the big powers are in the Indian ocean except Russia.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Russians are welcome to an Indian base as far as I care. It beats them taking Socatra. With three French naval bases ringing the Indian Ocean they are weclomed to use them to fight Somali piracy. Their ships are so old they can't stay on station long without maintenance facilities. The close relationship they have with India would make that their best choice. As far as conducting patrols outside the Horn of Africa, they really don't have any reason to be there. Their interests don't lie in the Indian Ocean, the three major powers here are India, France, and the US. As far as the Chinese base in Gwadar, I don't believe it has been dedicated to naval facilities yet.

neo29

giving russia a base does not serve much of strategic advantage to IN. rather give a base to US, it will bolster IN to counter in case china wants to reach India ocean.

seiko

Seiko interesting points but China has already went ahead with their naval base plans in Gwadar regardless of a Russian base in the Indian ocean. It seems all the big powers are in the Indian ocean except Russia.
They have plans in Gwadar but they wont station a permanent fleet their because they have to counter two of Asia's best navies in their background Japan and South Korea and not to forget Taiwan and US..Unless there is some need they wont venture in to Indian Ocean..just my thinking :)

badguy2000

Respected Member
They have plans in Gwadar but they wont station a permanent fleet their because they have to counter two of Asia's best navies in their background Japan and South Korea and not to forget Taiwan and US..Unless there is some need they wont venture in to Indian Ocean..just my thinking :)
is a oversea navy base a big deal?

to double the GDP of your country is a more effective warn of your enemy than 100 oversea navy bases.

seiko

to double the GDP of your country is a more effective warn of your enemy than 100 oversea navy bases.
Do you happen to read the above posts or just my post only?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

I'm sure you're aware of the "String of Pearls" strategy talked about by the CCP leadership. If they want to protect their GDP they will either have to really make good on Hindi Chini bai bai or build bases in the IO.

StealthSniper

giving russia a base does not serve much of strategic advantage to IN. rather give a base to US, it will bolster IN to counter in case china wants to reach India ocean.

We would NEVER give a base to US unless we like pissing off our friend and partner Russia and considering US is close to Pakistan and they put sanctions on us not to long ago. I am not saying that America is an enemy because they are much friendlier and are giving us equipment now but when push comes to shove, we know Russia will be with us while America will see if it suits them first.

Plus America already has a base at Diego Garcia and America has to many interests that will be in jeopardy if it starts helping India militarily.

Country flag
http://www.barentsobserver.com/russian-warships-exercise-in-indian-ocean.4780931-116321.html

Russian warships exercise in Indian Ocean

Two Russian warships from Russia's Northern and Black Sea Fleets started a series of exercises in the Indian Ocean on Tuesday, a Russian news agency reports.

The nuclear-powered missile cruiser "Pyotr Veliky" teamed up on Sunday with the Black Sea Fleet's missile cruiser "Moskva", who had made a port call in the southwestern Indian city of Kochi, RIA Novosti reports.

The exercise involved rescue at sea, putting out a fire on board a vessel in distress and towing it to safety.

The two vessels are due to arrive in Russia's Far Eastern port of Vladivostok in June-July to take part in the large-scale strategic exercise Vostok-2010. They will be joined by vessels from the Pacific Fleet, as BarentsObserver reported.

The upcoming land drills will involve units from the Far Eastern, the Siberian and the Volga-Urals military districts.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The exercise involved rescue at sea, putting out a fire on board a vessel in distress and towing it to safety.
This is a very good exercise for the Russian Navy.

mayfair

Let's find ourselves a base first before we go all altruistic...

AJSINGH

i think we should give Russians a naval base , in return that they keep good number of ships there , so that atleats china wont dare to enter Bay of bengal

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
i think we should give Russians a naval base , in return that they keep good number of ships there , so that atleats china wont dare to enter Bay of bengal
They will not dare enter even now, china does not have a powerful navy or not as much to enter the bay of bengal in any threatening manner. The only time they will is with their radars and sonars shut on a friendly port of call.

Crusader53

We would NEVER give a base to US unless we like pissing off our friend and partner Russia and considering US is close to Pakistan and they put sanctions on us not to long ago. I am not saying that America is an enemy because they are much friendlier and are giving us equipment now but when push comes to shove, we know Russia will be with us while America will see if it suits them first.

Plus America already has a base at Diego Garcia and America has to many interests that will be in jeopardy if it starts helping India militarily.

I wouldn't count on Russia coming to the Aid of India in any conflict with Pakistan and/or China.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian have enough military power to control Bay of Bengal and beyond, For example present IN strengths in Bay of Bengal is over 25+ ships including corvettes and four subs ( KILO CLASS) further their are plans for modernization of Andamans, Not to mention IAF influence in the region, So militarily we are capable of defending bay of bengal to any Chinease submerge or surface incursions..

If Russian or US ships requested any assistance like refueling etc they are always welcome, But giving a base is not good a idea..

Neil

Country flag
guyz y r we even discussing this....i mean we didnt gave base to either of this country even during the height of cold war....then y nw...??
giving or even leasing a base undermines r policy in international arena....so we need to keep r motherland to ourself and nt sell it to others.....

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Maintaining a military base in foriegn loaction(another country) is an very expensive affair. Looking at their current senario I really find it hard to belive that Russians can afford a foriegn military base. Currenly only US is capable of doing so.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles