Worst War Defeat - Your opinion!

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
It would have been better if Mongols continued their campaign and ravaged Western Europe.

If they did the rest of the world (Americas, Africa, Asia etc.) would be spared the horrors of European imperialism.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
It would have been better if Mongols continued their campaign and ravaged Western Europe.

If they did the rest of the world (Americas, Africa, Asia etc.) would be spared the horrors the European imperialism.
On the flip side they may have become Muslims like in Turkey and Central Asia? Would that be better?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Ya, if the son of Gengis Khan did not die in an Drinking Binge in europe they would have conquered europe! It was said he emptied cities in Russia and Eastern europe! History may be diffrent today.
Yes the Mongols were going to go all the way to what they called the "great ocean" or Atlantic ocean and take western Europe. But Genghis Khan's son Ogedei Khan died and all of the major Generals and Khans went to his funeral. After Ogedei Khan died this began the fragmentation of the Mongol empire and into Yuan Khante,Golden Horde, Chagatai Khanate(where Babur came from),Ilkhanate Khanate..

would be spared the horrors of European imperialism
Well it was the fall of Asia and the rise of Europe mostly western Europe. They dominated the seas and major trade routes all over the world. When this was happening Asian nations were doing nothing but seating there getting out preformed by Europeans. Not innovating nothing. Power shifts. I wonder what the Romans would think when the western European "Barbarians"(ancestors of the British,French,Germans,etc) they conquered are ruling the planet. Who knows maybe in a 1000 years the Africans are going to be the dominate power. Europe can be seating there doing nothing like Asia long time ago, while African nations or Asian nations are taking space like the Euros did to the seas.

Last edited:

Param

Yes the Mongols were going to go all the way to what they called the "great ocean" or Atlantic ocean and take western Europe. But Genghis Khan's son Ogedei Khan died and all of the major Generals and Khans went to his funeral. After Ogedei Khan died this began the fragmentation of the Mongol empire and into Yuan Khante,Golden Horde, Chagatai Khanate(where Babur came from),Ilkhanate Khanate..

Well it was the fall of Asia and the rise of Europe mostly western Europe. They dominated the seas and major trade routes all over the world. When this was happening Asian nations were doing nothing but seating there getting out preformed by Europeans. Not innovating nothing. Power shifts. I wonder what the Romans would think when the western European "Barbarians"(ancestors of the British,French,Germans,etc) they conquered are ruling the planet. Who knows maybe in a 1000 years the Africans are going to be the dominate power. Europe can be seating there doing nothing like Asia long time ago, while African nations or Asian nations are taking space like the Euros did to the seas.
Yesterdays Barbarians are todays advanced societies. There is a lot of false pride & superiority complex among many in the West , Europe was almost nothing till the late Medieval period if not for the ancient Greeks & Romans.
Western countries started getting ahead of others only after the Renaissance 500 yrs ago.

smartindian

Country flag
according to me the worst defeat was against china where we never expected that Chinese would attack us. we were defeated with little resistance

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I think the SIX DAY WAR in the Middle East is the most damaging defeat. In 6 days, Israel managed to defeat Jordan, Syria, Egypt and mercenaries from Iraq and Pakistani fighter pilots flying for Jordanians.
This.

And you also have to take into account that Israel was the smallest country....what a disgrace by the arabs. If i was an arab id be ashamed.

The middle east countries should give priority of air defense because they are in a desert and once air superioty is gone they're fucked.

shameem007

GWI had to be the most lopsided victory in history. French forces destroyed an entire division with no loss. When Saddam's general came to talk terms to the coalition, he talked about prisoner exchange, when he found out how many hundreds of thousands we had, he dropped his jaw to the ground.

JBH22

according to me the worst defeat was against china where we never expected that Chinese would attack us. we were defeated with little resistance
Little resistance??that would be unfair to the fallen Indian soldiers whole companies were wiped out but yes it was both a political and military blunder.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
True... but still they couldn't manage to touch Mauryan Empire--us. Greeks, Persians and Huns of Mongolia tried wars with Mauryans and got thrashed left, right and centre. The last of these international conflicts between us and foreigners during the Golden Era, ending up with General Selucus of Alexander's Greek empire giving his daughter's hand in marriage to Chandragupta Maurya. ..=i+
I think you made little mess up...

WHen the Hunas came in picture there was Gupta dynasty in India (actually later Guptas) not the Mouryans...Skandagupta gave good trashing to them. The Mouryans (Chandragupta) defeated the Greeks...

When Mongols came in picture it was time of Delhi Sultanate. Iltutmis was the Sultan when Chenghiz Khan came near to Indian border but fortunately moved to Parsia chasing a Afghan/ Parsian Prince..(I forgot the name)

well...You said Huns of Mongolia...(did not notice...sorry)

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
even though huns were stopped by skanda gupta,later gupta rulers were continously attacked by huns under toramana and later his son mihirakula who was so cruel that he once pulled down about 100 elephants of his own army from a pass just to enjoy the cry made by the elephants while getting killed by felling down into deep passes..finally gupta empire succumbed to mihiraculas army..

according to me the worst defeat was the 3rd battle of panipat in which nearly 100 thousnd maratha soldiers were slaughtered brutally...

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Even chinese who fought '62 won't even say that.

Salute to every Indian soldier who defended every Indian post till their last drop & last bullet!

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
The battle of Dien Bien Phu must rank as a great victory for Viet Minh and one of the most ignominous military defeats of French. French lost their will to fight and kissed good bye to their empire. They never recovered from that blow, they did not learn much either. Witness messy and bloody withdrawl from Algeria. Just six months after thye defeat Algerian war started. Within 2 years Tunisia and Morocco gained independence.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
The battle of Dien Bien Phu must rank as a great victory for Viet Cong and one of the most ignominous military defeats of French. French lost their will to fight and kissed good bye to their empire. They never recovered from that blow, they did not learn much either. Witness messy and bloody withdrawl from Algeria.
What's more impressive is that the Viet Cong were able to defeat the Americans, and then the Chinese just four years later.

In the span of just 40 years (1940-1980), Vietnam fought against every major power except Britain and the Soviet Union, including Japan, France, USA, and China. And they beat all of them.

debasree

Country flag
the battle of the kursk,where nazi jermany lost his near total war machine and man.

S.A.T.A

The Battle of Gaugamela(331 BCE)was probably one of the most decisive singular military defeats ever,despite enjoying overwhelming numerical superiority,Achaemenid Persia led by Darius III was decimated by Alexander and his Macedonians.Almost overnight the worlds first, largest land based,transcontinental empire was no more.

Miriachi

defeat of USSR was one of the worst,,,,recently America is loosing again with Afghans...

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Confederates losing in the US civil war would be in my opinion one of the worst defeats. Worse, not because they were the good guys and should have won. The result of this war had consequences for the wars to come ie WW1, WW2, cold war
More American lives lost than any other the US has fought, a prelude to "modern" war. I had an ancestor in the Union artillery.

One of my favorite quotes comes from John S. Mosby who commanded CS cavalry in East Tennessee to his troopers engaging the federals. He wanted them to discard their sabers and use Colt pistols: "If you're close enough to stick 'em, you're close enough to shoot 'em!"

mayfair

In terms of geopolitics, the Battle of Trafalgar (October, 1805) may have been one of the significant battles ever. The British Royal Navy under the stewardship of Lord Nelson handed the French and the Spanish their collective arses on a platter. This resulted in a virtually unchallenged predominance of the Royal Navy (and "Britannia rules the waves") for the next 100-120 years (Pax Britannica) and paved the way for the expansion of the British empire. It also put an end to Napoleons geostrategic ambitions.

Another disaster of epic proportions was Napoleon's invasion of Russia in 1812, where the French side lost close to 400,000 men (including Austrians, Prussians and Poles), of which, French alone lost about 300,000 men.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles