World Cup T20 2009.

Who do you think will be the semi-finalists?

• Australia

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • England

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • India

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Souh Africa

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • West Indies

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Su-47

Symonds has been sent home due to behaviour reasons. But I fail to understan why this excessive morals should be attached to sporstperson. As long as he performs on the field who cares whether he is drunk or not.....

Aussies are doing a big mistake by sending symonds away. I think there is fair chance that Aussies may not even qualify for the next stage, they are in a group of death and WI and SL cant be underestimated.
It is a matter of principle. When a person represents a nation, he has the responsibility to behave appropriately. Any misconduct will bring shame to his nation, since the audience will associate that behavior with indiscipline on behalf of the nation as a whole.

Symonds has already crossed the line a few times now. Had he not been such a vital part of the team, his career would have ended in 2005 when he came drunk for a practice session. Such disrespect for the sport or his team should never have been tolerated. Its about time the Australian team and Cricket Australia gives Symonds the boot for good.

johnee

:blum3::blum3:

Oh dear i forgot that completely...........
IPL ka nasha.....:blum3:

Just becoz Bangalore reached the final doesnt mean, you should forever stay there mentally. Come out.........:mornin:

johnee

It is a matter of principle. When a person represents a nation, he has the responsibility to behave appropriately. Any misconduct will bring shame to his nation, since the audience will associate that behavior with indiscipline on behalf of the nation as a whole.

Symonds has already crossed the line a few times now. Had he not been such a vital part of the team, his career would have ended in 2005 when he came drunk for a practice session. Such disrespect for the sport or his team should never have been tolerated. Its about time the Australian team and Cricket Australia gives Symonds the boot for good.
Frankly, all this is just media created myths. Sportsman plays sport and his only duty is to perform well. And as long as he does that, no one else should have any prob with what else he does. Representing, principle, ...blah, blah are all over-rated particularly with Aussies. Being druken is not such a big prob but sledging with racial cannotations is wrong. If Aussies were serious about their 'representing the nation, behaving,.......etc' things then they should first teach their players not to indulge in sledging(particularly not calling SL players as 'black monkeys'). Getting drunk is trivially small when compared to the above.

p2prada

I have added a poll and voted myself. Please contribute to the thread by submitting your vote on which team you think will win.

Note: The poll asks for who you think will win, not which team you support. Since this is an Indian forum, with the majority of members being Indian, I have taken the liberty of assuming most of us will be supporting India.
Mate. Might I suggest a new poll simply because the first poll is er.....

This time make it which country will be the one "losing" to India in the finals.:D
That would be more reasonable.:113:

Su-47

Mate. Might I suggest a new poll simply because the first poll is er.....
Biased? Yeah, now that i see the replies, i think so too. Time for a new poll.

This time make it which country will be the one "losing" to India in the finals.:D
That would be more reasonable.:113:
Lol. On a realistic basis, i think the poll should be: 'Who would be the semi-finalists' or 'Who would be the finalists'.

But the problem is, I can't find a way to edit the poll.

S.A.T.A

IPL ka nasha.....:blum3:

Just becoz Bangalore reached the final doesnt mean, you should forever stay there mentally. Come out.........:mornin:
Looks like you are still smarting under the thrashing the Bangalore boys gave to the Chennai kings..........

Panga mat lena hamse. :sarcastic:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Looks like you are still smarting under the thrashing the Bangalore boys gave to the Chennai kings..........

SATA ji, Johnee is from Hyderabad, so he must be a deccan chargers fan. What you said now applies to you :sarcastic:

p2prada

Biased? Yeah, now that i see the replies, i think so too. Time for a new poll.

More like "Obvious."

Lol. On a realistic basis, i think the poll should be: 'Who would be the semi-finalists' or 'Who would be the finalists'.
That would be 2 teams mate.

But the problem is, I can't find a way to edit the poll.
You cannot edit a poll.

Anyways, I cannot vote on the new poll. It says I have already voted. Perhaps a mod can delete the present poll and start a new one.

johnee

:rofl:
SATA,
I am a fan of Deccan, not chennai. So, now tables are reversed.

panga mat lena hamse..........:blum3:

Su-47

Ok, i have created a new poll with ritesh thakur's help.

I think a poll on the semi-finalists would be more balanced, since it will take consistent performance to get into the semis. From then on, its anybody's game. The poll closes on the 16th of June, when the last group matches finish. By then the semi-finalists would have been decided.

Please cast your votes, and we'll see which team the members of this forum think will be in the semis.

well, there we go. I messed up again. i forgot to add the option for voters to choose more than one option. I will try get this problem fixed shortly.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Again, the poll is flawed. If you are asking the question "who could be semifinalists?, then you should give the choice to choose at least 4 teams.:p

S.A.T.A

:rofl:
SATA,
I am a fan of Deccan, not chennai. So, now tables are reversed.

panga mat lena hamse..........:blum3:
To be honest mate,it was not so much that the chargers won the game , as it was challengers losing it.We had you on the grass for most part of the game,before the thought of early booze got to the royal challengers...........

So what we lost to you in the final,we finished ahead of you the last time :blum3:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
To be honest mate,it was not so much that the chargers won the game , as it was challengers losing it.We had you on the grass for most part of the game,before the thought of early booze got to the royal challengers...........

So what we lost to you in the final,we finished ahead of you the last time :blum3:
Jaisa owner waisa player (s) :p

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Kumble starts new innings as commentator

New Delhi: Former India cricket skipper Anil Kumble, like his team mate Sourav Ganguly, will start a new innings as a commentator and will make his debut with the Twenty20 World Cup.

Both Kumble and Ganguly will be part of ESPN STAR Sports commentary team as expert analysts for the tournament.

Kumble said: "I have always wanted to contribute to the game of cricket whether on or off the field. My association with ESPN STAR Sports poses an interesting challenge for me as I have never tried serious analysis before. I am looking forward to this unique opportunity with its mouth-watering prospect of rubbing shoulders with so many greats from the game of cricket.

"The T20 format does not leave much of a breathing space for both the player as well as the viewer as the match situation changes really fast. This fast format will surely open up many facets and nuances for the TV expert which I am sure will prove to be an enjoyable experience."

R.C. Venkateish, managing director of ESPN Software India Pvt. Ltd, said "Anil is one of the greatest spin bowlers of all time. He has recently hung up his boots but the wealth of experience in handling all the great batsmen of the last two decades will surely come in handy when he is behind the mike. His understanding of match situations as well as inputs on bowling psychology will give a definitive edge to the illustrious roster of experts for the tournament."

Besides Ganguly and Kumble, the panel will also have Wasim Akram, Sanjay Manjrekar, Alan Wilkins, Harsha Bhogle, Nasser Hussain, David Lloyd, Ian Chappell, Simon Doull, Kepler Wessels, Ian Bishop, Ranil Abeynaike and Athar Ali Khan.

Kumble starts new innings as commentator :: Samay Live

Su-47

Again, the poll is flawed. If you are asking the question "who could be semifinalists?, then you should give the choice to choose at least 4 teams.:p
Ya. I know. I messed up. AGAIN.

I have FINALLY got it right, with a lot of help from ritesh. The poll allows the voter to choose more than one option. There was no way to limit it to just 4 options, so voters, please choose only 4.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

p2prada

I did not realize that. So, I voted only for one.:blum3:

Su-47

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I watched yesterdays match. It was an amazing match, good start for the T20 world cup. One can imagine how the matches are going to be in coming day; high rush, adrenaline filled, tense matches. I hope it gives a good boost to cricket in Netherlands. Hope, Netherlands also beat Pakistan.:D

Su-47

I watched yesterdays match. It was an amazing match, good start for the T20 world cup. One can imagine how the matches are going to be in coming day; high rush, adrenaline filled, tense matches. I hope it gives a good boost to cricket in Netherlands. Hope, Netherlands also beat Pakistan.:D
I do hope England doesn't get kicked out. It will be a real damper on the tournament to have the hosts get kicked out so early.

The biggest problem for this whole tournament will be rain. Right now the NZ v Scotland match is heading for a washout. If the bad weather persists, most of the matches will be a washout, and that will just screw over the tournament.

Pintu

India guard against complacency against Bangladesh: Twenty20 World Cup

B’desh first hurdle to India’s quest for T20 WC title defence

Zeenews Bureau

Nottingham, June 06: In what is turning out to be an anti-climax of sorts, the Twenty20 World Cup in England seems to have rubbed the rain Gods the wrong way from the onset.

After rain forced cancellation of the opening ceremony and a delayed start to tournament opener between England and Netherlands on Friday, it seems set to play spoilsport in India's opening match against Bangladesh here today.

Heavy rains lashed the city last night and it has been drizzling since morning here, making the chances dim for the defending champions' first Group A match, scheduled to start at 6 pm local time (IST 10.30 pm).

Meanwhile, two summers ago, Bangladesh had ruined India’s World Cup party with an unexpected victory in their first match over their fancied Asian neighbours. It was a setback India never recovered from and just a week later found themselves on the first flight home, out of reckoning for cricket’s ultimate prize at the group stage itself.

Fast forward 2009. A lot has happened in the last two years. India rose like a phoenix from that disastrous Caribbean adventure to lift the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa six months later. Under the inspirational leadership of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, India has grown from strength and on back of some consistent high class performances, are rated as one of the top sides in world cricket at the moment. The golden generation of Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman and Anil Kumble has been seamlessly replaced by the likes of Raina, Rohit Sharma, Ishant Sharma and the Pathan brothers.

On the other hand, Bangladesh, who enjoyed a fairytale World Cup in West Indies, have failed to live up to the expectations. Their youngsters- Tamim Iqbal, Shaqib-Ul-Hasan, Nafees, Ashraful, Mortaza among others, have failed to deliver on their early promise, failing to deliver at the level of consistency that is expected in international cricket.

As the two teams line-up again at Trent Bridge, defending champions start as favourites. But as the unfancied Netherlands proved against hosts England on Friday, past reputations count for little in this fast food format of cricket.

While Bangladesh may look easy meat on paper, Dhoni and his men will guard against complacency when they begin their title defence.

Considering the ease with which India bulldozed Pakistan in their last warm-up match, Bangladesh would require an extraordinary effort even to stretch them but upsets do happen and that would keep Dhoni's men on their toes in the Group A encounter.

For India, Virender Sehwag’s shoulder injury remains a worry and going by Dhoni’s observation, his chances of playing tomorrow’s match look slim.

"To be honest, I don’t know (about the injury). He could be for the second game but let’s see," Dhoni said.

Fortunately, with Rohit Sharma dazzling in the makeshift opener’s role in both the warm-up matches, Sehwag’s absence was not felt.

Rohit was particularly impressive against Pakistan, when he and Gautam Gambhir put on effortless 140 runs in 16 overs to lay the platform for a facile win.

With Rohit in red hot form, even Gambhir, otherwise aggression personified, was seen happy playing second fiddle and the duo is likely to open the innings again on Saturday.

"Rohit seemed an appropriate talent who could really open the innings. He has the time when he plays the quickest of bowlers. That really helped me take the decision," Dhoni said.

"Now he has made a big impact. Hopefully, he would get those runs throughout the tournament," he added.

Suresh Raina looks in the same touch which made him such a prolific player in the second Indian Premier League while Yuvraj Singh has overcome the food poisoning that kept him out of the first warm-up match and is raring to go.

Dhoni had promoted himself at the number three position in both the practice matches and would like to be among the runs once the main tournament gets going.

This will also be an opportunity for the Pathan brothers -- Yusuf and Irfan -- to chip in with some brisk runs and both would fancy their chances against Bangladesh’s limited bowling resource.

In the bowling department, Zaheer Khan’s shoulder injury is likely to keep him out of action tomorrow, said Dhoni.

"Zaheer has started bowling and signs are encouraging but we don’t want to take any risks," he said.

Much to Dhoni’s relief, Ishant Sharma is back among the wickets again even though the Indian captain said he wanted the lanky pacer to bowl in the middle overs.

"I still feel Ishant should bowl in the middle overs. May be an over to start or end with but he is best served in the middle overs," Dhoni said.

One grey area bothering Dhoni is bowling at death and the Indian captain admitted it did not work in either of the practice matches against New Zealand and Pakistan.

"I don’t think we bowled well in the final two overs. We were not experimenting, we were trying to bowl yorkers and that’s not good," he said.

India's second match of the tournament is against Ireland on Wednesday.

The squads (from):

India: MS Dhoni (c), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh, Irfan Pathan, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Praveen Kumar, Pragyan Ojha, Ishant Sharma and RP Singh.

Bangladesh: Mohammad Ashraful (c), Abdur Razzak, Junaid Siddique, Mahmudullah, Mashrafe Mortaza, Mithun Ali, Mushfiqur Rahim, Naeem Islam, Raqibul Hasan, Rubel Hossain, Shahadat Hossain, Shamsur Rahman, Shakib Al Hasan, Syed Rasel and Tamim Iqbal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles