Women to serve on British submarines

Country flag
Women to serve on British submarines: minister

Women will be allowed to serve on British navy submarines, with female officers taking up roles from late 2013, defence minister Philip Hammond announced Thursday.

The first officers will serve on Vanguard class nuclear-powered submarines and will be followed by women ratings in 2015, Hammond said.

Women will also be able to serve on the new Astute class nuclear-powered submarines from about 2015.

Britain is following in the footsteps of the United States, which last year lifted a ban on women serving on submarines.

"We will change and adapt with the evidence and the circumstances. We will value our history and tradition -- but we will not be slaves to them," said Hammond during a speech in London.

"In that spirit, I can announce today that I have accepted the recommendation of the First Sea Lord (the head of the navy) that women should be allowed to serve in submarines in the future."

The decision follows an 18-month review by the navy. Women were previously excluded from serving due to concerns that high carbon dioxide levels in the onboard atmosphere posed greater risks to female health.

But recent research by the institute of naval medicine concluded that the fears were unfounded.

indian_sukhoi

Does it mean, They gonna have separate bathrooms?

In a Submarine there wont be enough space available to make extra modifications.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Does it mean, They gonna have separate bathrooms?

In a Submarine there wont be enough space available to make extra modifications.
Remove missile compartments and replace them with shower stalls for the ladies.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The decision follows an 18-month review by the navy. Women were previously excluded from serving due to concerns that high carbon dioxide levels in the onboard atmosphere posed greater risks to female health.
That is the most absurd statement I have ever heard on the issue of women in subs. The health concern has to be effect of radiation on female reproduction.

And while we are on that subject, I predict a 100% pregnancy rate on those subs.

charlyondfi

That is the most absurd statement I have ever heard on the issue of women in subs. The health concern has to be effect of radiation on female reproduction.
Well, Ewald, NOT just for womb I am afraid, but also cause of cancer, including breast. A latest article by NRIS has been cited every where:
http://www.nirs.org/radiation/radhealth/radiationwomen.pdf

And while we are on that subject, I predict a 100% pregnancy rate on those subs.
I know you are joking. Yet, you got idea how US army treat this matter among its soldiers?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I know you are joking. Yet, you got idea how US army treat this matter among its soldiers?
Not joking, maybe exaggeration of pregnancy rates on US Navy coed ships.

The US Army has a policy about women soldiers that only addresses requirements for the care of underage children in the event of the mother's (married or single) deployment. There is no doctrinal discrimination against female soldiers who are single mothers AFAIK.

Among USAR femaie soldiers, pregnancy increased significantly due to the iraq war. They preferred pregnancy at home to going to the desert, obviously.

Falcon

I understand the purpose. Men spend 7-8 months in a steel tube. They definitely need ladies.

pmaitra

I understand the purpose. Men spend 7-8 months in a steel tube. They definitely need ladies.
If I may rephrase that, if the men can be inside a steel tube, why can't their tubes be inside somewhere?

indian_sukhoi

Having woemn in a submarine is not to good option. Unlike Ships, In a submarine its very conjusted and hazardous to live in.

Can a women feel comfortable using same toilets and sleep in the same very small room?. Even in ships, They have separate compartments with bathroom attached for women personals.
In IN, INS Shivalihk is the first warship with a cabin especially built for two women officers located next to Captain's cabin.

Remove missile compartments and replace them with shower stalls for the ladies.
lol,..............That might be taken into consideration. Since they have no potent enemy in their region to fight!!

Sir, Do you have any idea about Women personals in USN Submarine fleet. If yes then do they have serperate compartments or the same?
I remember watching a movie, In which their will be a women officer in Submarine.

If I may rephrase that, if the men can be inside a steel tube, why can't their tubes be inside somewhere?
Bring a sheep onboard then, That might solve the problem!!!!!! :p

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The biggest issue will the Head and its use in a submarine.

I don't think that there will be a sexual advances, but confined spaces creates interpersonal issues.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I read the article earlier.

I think she is a silly old goat!
Sir, I believe she was not medically fit for duty at sea (she was on psychoactive medication), perhaps not fit for active duty at all. An inquest should show that, I believe. The underlying question is why the naval establishment pushes for females in such billets.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir, I believe she was not medically fit for duty at sea (she was on psychoactive medication), perhaps not fit for active duty at all. An inquest should show that, I believe. The underlying question is why the naval establishment pushes for females in such billets.
The report said that she was not diagnosed to be depressed and hence there was no requirement of her to have a six month supply of the medication given to her!

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The report said that she was not diagnosed to be depressed and hence there was no requirement of her to have a six month supply of the medication given to her!
Well, then she was a silly old goat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ray

Global Defence

New threads

Articles