Woman released from labor camp

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Woman released from labor camp

Tang Hui (R) talks to a Xinhua reporter after she was released from a labor camp in Yongzhou, Central China's Hunan province, Aug 10, 2012.

CHANGSHA - A woman who had been sent to a labor camp in central China's Hunan province after petitioning for justice for her daughter, who was raped and forced into prostitution at age 11, was released Friday morning, according to local authorities.

Tang Hui was sent to the Reeducation Through Labor Center in the city of Yongzhou on August 2 to serve an 18-month sentence for "seriously disturbing social order and exerting a negative impact on society" after she protested in front of local government buildings, complaining that the municipal police department had falsified evidence to reduce the sentences of those who kidnapped, raped and forced her daughter into prostitution.

Tang filed an appeal on August 7. After considering her appeal, the center decided to allow her to leave, since her daughter, now 17 years old, is still a minor and requires her mother's care, provincial publicity officials said.

Tang's claim that the municipal police falsified evidence is also under investigation, they said.

In October 2006, Tang's then 11-year-old daughter was kidnapped, raped and forced into prostitution. She performed over 100 sexual acts before being rescued on December 30, 2006.

On June 5 this year, the Hunan Provincial Higher People's Court sentenced two of the defendants to death. Four others were given life sentences and another one received a 15-year term.

Before and after the sentences were handed down, Tang had repeatedly petitioned for justice in front of government buildings and sought the death penalty for all seven people who were charged with forcing her daughter into prostitution.

"Tang was dissatisfied with the verdicts and her petitions have seriously disturbed social order and exerted a very negative impact on society," the municipal public security bureau said in a previous statement.

Woman released from labor camp |Hot Issues |chinadaily.com.cn
If someone wants justice and protests, then that someone is sent to jail in China!

Anna and Ramdev should thank their stars they are holding such big protest and are not sent to jail in India.

If they would have done it in China, they would be in jail for indefinite period!

Let us thank God for small mercies!

However, in China, justice is hard but swift.

Even Bo's wife's murder case was over in 7 hours only!

huaxia rox

the case should be fully investegated.....gut feeling is people here just tried to protect themselves from criminals.....and the result is real criminals here got away from it and viticims mother sent to jail......funny and sad....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What is good is that those who tried to fudge have been given death sentence.

Quick justice and no nonsense about it either!

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Sirji,

That's the first defeatist statement I have heard from you!!

Chinese got CCP and Chinese people are the ones who are tolerating them even today! They are to be blamed.

If we want we can change the Govt. at will, and for that we have full grit to create awareness! We are not at the mercy of GOI and secular/corrupt con-gress! It is we who rejected dictatorship or per say it was not possible to have con-gress as the sole ruler at the time of independence - they would have been exterminated by rebellions!

Our freedom does not depend on Con-gress or their cohorts' mercy!

Con-gress has done everything to get overt Dictatorship, but failed due to resilience and strength of the countrymen (e.g Emergency)!

Now they are trying covert ways to create an authoritarian regime (by creating extra-constitutional bodies such as NAC, NIA etc., and rendering present laws meek or dissolving strong laws e.g. RTI and POTA respectively)! Missionary con-gress will fail again!

I challenge anyone from Con-gress to create labor and death camps for Baba and Anna and they will not walk this land alive!

It's unfair to compare us with the Chinese - they don't value freedom we do - and it's not cheap, and blood is required from time to time to replenish it - we know it!

P.S: If we protest we do it out of our own determination and strength not because our mai-baap corrupt Con-gress has done some great favor for us!

Last edited:

ani82v

Country flag
What was interesting was that she was released because of this
the center decided to allow her to leave, since her daughter, now 17 years old, is still a minor and requires her mother's care, provincial publicity officials said.
It was like she was pardoned, an act of benevolence! She was released not because of admission by the authorities of doing injustice to her.

Chinese people should be rightly outraged by the system.

Last edited:

Predator

>> woman who had been sent to a labor camp in central China's Hunan province after petitioning for justice for her daughter, who was raped and forced into prostitution at age 11

sounds like sharia system, you complain of rape and get punished instead.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Brave mother indeed.

Let us see what People's Daily has said about this case.

Extracted from the official microblog of People's Daily.

Hello, tomorrow: Experts recently announced that based on a three-tier benchmark test, the "Common Task of the Revival of the Chinese Nation" [a government policy for developing China's economy and civilization, and creating a harmonious society] is already 62% complete. However, when the mother of the Hunan Yongzhou girl rape victim makes news because she was sentenced to reeducation through labor for petitioning, this number pales in comparison. The strength of a nation should not only be measured by GDP or Olympic gold medals. Such complex mathematical models should even more include the rights and dignity of the ordinary common people and the fairness and justice of society. We must work together. Goodnight.

ani82v

Country flag
Brave mother indeed.

Let us see what People's Daily has said about this case.

Extracted from the official microblog of People's Daily.
Not trying to score points but had this happened in any other country there would be immediate scathing media attacks on the Judiciary for this decision. They would be ripped apart. But since media is under control of the same system which controls Judiciary, everything gets sugar coated.

Such complex mathematical models should even more include the rights and dignity of the ordinary common people and the fairness and justice of society. We must work together.
Who are they fooling.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Not trying to score points but had this happened in any other country there would be immediate scathing media attacks on the Judiciary for this decision. They would be ripped apart. But since media is under control of the same system which controls Judiciary, everything gets sugar coated.
You guys love to talk about your media, as if they are some kind of cure to every disease of your country.

Let us assume that your media was gonna attack your judiciary system if something like that happned in India, which in fact I doubted. Does that make much difference? If it does, why does your country still look like a sh!thole after you have "free" media for decades?

Who are they fooling.
Is there something wrong? Doesn't it need effort from everybody to build a better society?

ani82v

Country flag
You guys love to talk about your media, as if they are some kind of cure to every disease of your country.
They are not but they are essential component. It starts with the media which builds perception.
In China, if the media is controlled by the Govt, then what is the problem in stating fact???

Let us assume that your media was gonna attack your judiciary system if something like that happned in India, which in fact I doubted. Does that make much difference? If it does, why does your country still look like a sh!thole after you have "free" media for decades?
If such thing would have happened in India, there would be hue and cry in the media and there would be public pressure to change the idiotic clauses which leads to such punishments. And I am not saying the India is perfect and has best institutions. There are governance issues, corruption, and 100 different issues, but these are out in open, not brushed under the carpet or sugar coated.

The point is not this. The law or the interpretation of the law that were cause of this injustice to this woman was not criticized.

"seriously disturbing social order and exerting a negative impact on society" is a crime and a lone mother protesting gets such sentence. This is what I found disturbing. This I see as root cause and this is was supposed to be under lens by the Chinese media. And this is precisely they are not doing!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Is there something wrong? Doesn't it need effort from everybody to build a better society?

No cure to all disease but very effective nerveless....

Media is main source to people and can modify there behavior, If something is wrong happening and people think its wrong it will be a serious thread to Gov..

People are the power and Gov of all countries regardless of there system is afraid of it..

--------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately the effectiveness of independent media is not in China..

Btw, Isn't its true in CCTV China that News headlines are Shown after every 10-5 mins gap, Like nothing happens in China ?, Everything is perfect..

Unfortunate is China cannot have Media as India who have power to do criticism..

Criticism taste bitter but have many positive inputs for there own natives..

nimo_cn

Country flag
They are not but they are essential component. It starts with the media which builds perception.
In China, if the media is controlled by the Govt, then what is the problem in stating fact???

If such thing would have happened in India, there would be hue and cry in the media and there would be public pressure to change the idiotic clauses which leads to such punishments. And I am not saying the India is perfect and has best institutions. There are governance issues, corruption, and 100 different issues, but these are out in open, not brushed under the carpet or sugar coated.

The point is not this. The law or the interpretation of the law that were cause of this injustice to this woman was not criticized.

"seriously disturbing social order and exerting a negative impact on society" is a crime and a lone mother protesting gets such sentence. This is what I found disturbing. This I see as root cause and this is was supposed to be under lens by the Chinese media. And this is precisely they are not doing!
No cure to all disease but very effective nerveless....

Media is main source to people and can modify there behavior, If something is wrong happening and people think its wrong it will be a serious thread to Gov..

People are the power and Gov of all countries regardless of there system is afraid of it..

--------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately the effectiveness of independent media is not in China..

Btw, Isn't its true in CCTV China that News headlines are Shown after every 10-5 mins gap, Like nothing happens in China ?, Everything is perfect..

Unfortunate is China cannot have Media as India who have power to do criticism..

Criticism taste bitter but have many positive inputs for there own natives..
You make it like there is no media in China, The people's daily just expressed its opinion on this case, and it was quite critical as I see it.

You may need to read it again

Hello, tomorrow: Experts recently announced that based on a three-tier benchmark test, the "Common Task of the Revival of the Chinese Nation" [a government policy for developing China's economy and civilization, and creating a harmonious society] is already 62% complete. However, when the mother of the Hunan Yongzhou girl rape victim makes news because she was sentenced to reeducation through labor for petitioning, this number pales in comparison. The strength of a nation should not only be measured by GDP or Olympic gold medals. Such complex mathematical models should even more include the rights and dignity of the ordinary common people and the fairness and justice of society. We must work together. Goodnight.
Media plays important role, but certainly isn't that effecitve as it is said to be. Media only delivers message, but can't change a thing.

If media is that effective, why bad things keep happening In India? Your media must have covered all of them, does it make all those bad thing disappear? Not really, I don't see much has been changed.

Anyone to be held responsible for the largest blackout last week? I guess not yet. Your media must have mounted pressures on your government, but how does your government react so far?

If it was in China, the energy minister would be on fire right now if they were not fired yet.

ani82v

Country flag
You make it like there is no media in China, The people's daily just expressed its opinion on this case, and it was quite critical as I see it.

You may need to read it again

Media plays important role, but certainly isn't that effecitve as it is said to be. Media only delivers message, but can't change a thing.
You are again missing the point. It starts with Media which builds perception. Initiation of change begins here. What gives you an idea that it is cure of all evil? And no, it is not a message delivery outlet other countries.

If media is that effective, why bad things keep happening In India? Your media must have covered all of them, does it make all those bad thing disappear? Not really, I don't see much has been changed.

Anyone to be held responsible for the largest blackout last week? I guess not yet. Your media must have mounted pressures on your government, but how does your government react so far?

If it was in China, the energy minister would be on fire right now if they were not fired yet.
You are repeating the same point you made before. Chinese govt is swift in action and their governance has been good and worth emulation. Some of which other countries needs to learn. Indian Govt lacks this kind of execution capability which I would like to see changed here. But what is not worth emulating is how Chinese Govt controls the media.

The fundamental thing is media needs to show the things as they are and without the bias for or against anybody. This I find missing In Chinese media, where there is sugar coating of complex issues to keep Govt in not too bad light.
Media should be open not just because it initiates changes but because it was supposed to be that way. The disgust, the anger and outrage which this story would have evoked has not at all been captured. I repeat, "seriously disturbing social order and exerting a negative impact on society" is a crime and a lone mother protesting gets such sentence. This is the core problem and is not under lens. And this is because Chinese media is under Govt control.

If you still don't get it, I will press no further.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Who are they fooling.

That maybe true that in other countries, there would be a huge moral outrage.

In China, their way of looking at issues is different as is stated in the Peoples' Daily.

Common Task of the Revival of the Chinese Nation" [a government policy for developing China's economy and civilization, and creating a harmonious society] is already 62% complete.
China does not find itself comfortable with any upheavals or disruption to the social and political order that has been established. Uncertainty upset the Chinese way of looking at life since they emphasise harmony (at all costs).

Note this otherwise inane statement in the Peoples' Daily

a government policy for developing China's economy and civilization, and creating a harmonious society] is already 62% complete.
It is basically to calm the people or else, how can you equate civilisation in exact percentage i.e. 62%?

Neither can you club 'economy and civilization, and creating a harmonious society' and come to an exact percentage i.e. 62%

But then by stating exact percentage i.e. 62%, it gives the comfort that while the ideal is not reached, at least it above the half way mark.

That is why in this case, we see her locked up, not from the point of view of the crime committed against her daughter, but because she was disturbing the harmony by going on protest.

Yet, it must be said that the Chinese having established harmony by arresting and jailing the woman, did investigate the case and sentenced people to death.

It is true that it is an odd way to approach justice being done, but then that, I presume, is the Chinese way of doing things.

I would say that in Mao's time, there was no reporting of such cases in the media (or so I learn). It is good that under international pressure, the Chinese authorities is allowing their press the freedom to at least report such case, even though very obliquely and unlike what it would have been the case in other countries.

But then that is China!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

NO, there is no cure for all what ails India.

However, since we have a media that is not of the Govt, they are free to report and expose errors of the Govt, the policies, the corruption, the riots (and keep pursuing it ad infinitum), the judiciary, the private companies and everything under the sun including Sunny Leone!

This fact that people, institutions, private industry and the Govt can be exposed, ridiculed and gone after, keeps them (the organisations mentioned) on their toes and they are forced to explain themselves to the people of India, through the Parliament or through press statements or going on the TV.

Had there been no free media, more so the TV media, then one would not know of various views of one issue.

I am sure you have heard and read of Anna Hazare's movement against corruption. Well, when there was only one TV channel that was of the Govt, there was an bigger movement called the JP Movement. This movement was only read of in the free print media because the Govt TV, Doordarshan, gave selective news of the movement. Even so, with only the print media reporting, the Govt wobbled and thereafter there were successive Govts in rapid succession!

Now that we have many private channels that broadcast 24x7, Anna's movement (a much smaller movement than JP) being reported in all the channels of the electronic media and print media, had galvanised a huge ground swell against the Govt and the Govt was forced to take some action, even if it were not complete action.

That is why the media in India is a very strong instrument that can show the people of India and the world as to what is happening in India.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

NO, there is no cure for all what ails India.

However, since we have a media that is not of the Govt, they are free to report and expose errors of the Govt, the policies, the corruption, the riots (and keep pursuing it ad infinitum), the judiciary, the private companies and everything under the sun including Sunny Leone!

This fact that people, institutions, private industry and the Govt can be exposed, ridiculed and gone after, keeps them (the organisations mentioned) on their toes and they are forced to explain themselves to the people of India, through the Parliament or through press statements or going on the TV.

Had there been no free media, more so the TV media, then one would not know of various views of one issue.

I am sure you have heard and read of Anna Hazare's movement against corruption. Well, when there was only one TV channel that was of the Govt, there was an bigger movement called the JP Movement. This movement was only read of in the free print media because the Govt TV, Doordarshan, gave selective news of the movement. Even so, with only the print media reporting, the Govt wobbled and thereafter there were successive Govts in rapid succession!

Now that we have many private channels that broadcast 24x7, Anna's movement (a much smaller movement than JP) being reported in all the channels of the electronic media and print media, had galvanised a huge ground swell against the Govt and the Govt was forced to take some action, even if it were not complete action.

That is why the media in India is a very strong instrument that can show the people of India and the world as to what is happening in India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles