Wishing all a very happy Poila Baisakh, Bengali New Year ,Bangabda 1416

Pintu

Today the very happy day for all from Bengal, as well as Indians, this is the first day of Bengali New Year, the Poila Baisakh , or 1st of Baisakh of the Bengali Calender of Bengali New Year,or Bangabda 1416. The History of Bangabda goes back to Mughal Period, by the order of Mughal Emperor Akbar(1542-1605) , Fateullah Shirazi , a renowned scholar and astronomer formulated Bengali Calender on the basis of Hijri Lunar and Hindu Solar calender named Surya Siddhanta. The Bengali calender was created in order to streamline tax collections.

The celebration started from Emperor Akbar's reign. In last day of Chaitro, it is customary for all to clear up dues, and the garment sellers and other sellers arrange Chaitro sell giving heavy discounts, very next day new Hal Khata(Account Book) is opened by the shop keepers, the packet full of sweets with a Bengali Calender is freely distributed among the customers by the every shopkeepers. Boys and Girls wears new traditional Bengali clothes, and visit each others places, the mood is festivity. Prayers are done in the Temples. Muaharats of the film is done, in Film Studios.

In West Bengal the day is declared as a Public Holiday. In Bangladesh Naba Barsha celebrated on a fixed date that is 14th April.

Here is the picture of the Poila Baisakh celebrated in Sobha Bazar Rajbati in Kolkata , it is appeared in http://www.library.utoronto.ca/iip/review/aprilmay2005/news.htm and link of image is http://www.library.utoronto.ca/iip/review/aprilmay2005/Kolkata.jpg

Wish you all a very happy Poila Baishakh.

Regards

A.V.

subho navabarsha to all bengali friends here and greetings to all the members on this special occasion.

Flint

Happy Bengali New year!

P.S. My god those women are pale! Is it the makeup?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Happy new years folks this is an Assamese new year too we celebrate it with the festival called Rongali Bihu. Cheers!!!!

Pintu

Happy new years folks this is an Assamese new year too we celebrate it with the festival called Rongali Bihu. Cheers!!!!
Feeling great to know that, Payeng can you tell me about more about the Assamese New year and Rongoli Bihu.

Regards

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Feeling great to know that, Payeng can you tell me about more about the Assamese New year and Rongoli Bihu.

Regards
Bihu denotes a set of three different largely secular festivals of Assam namely Rongali Bihu, Kongali Bihu, Bhogali Bihu. Bohag Bihu/Rongali Bihu is the biggest festival of the people of Assam. It is a festival that transcends all religious and class barriers bringing people together in a free and uninhabited manner.It brings a sense of solidarity and unity among the people of the Assam region.

The word Bihu is derived from visuvan/bihuban that describes a number of festivals in India that are associated with the March equinox. In Assam, the Rongali Bihu draws from many different traditions—Austro-Asiatic, Sino-Burmese and Indo-Aryan—and is celebrated with particular fervor. Celebrations begin in the middle of April and generally continue for a month.

Rongali Bihu (mid-April,with the beginning of spring season also called Bohag Bihu), celebrates the onset of the Assamese New Year (around April 15) and the coming of Spring. This marks the first day of the Hindu solar calendar and is also observed in Bengal, Kerala, Manipur, Nepal, Orissa, Punjab and Tamil Nadu though called by different names. It's a time of merriment and feasting and continues for several days. The farmers prepare the fields for cultivation of paddy and there is a feeling of joy around.

N.B. information from wikipedia and Festivals of India site.

Rongali means colourful as it is from the vibrant view of the nature in the Spring season is traditionally welcomed by Assamese folk dance

here are some pictures...

Assamese chick in traditional Bihu dance costume :D
View attachment 316

Pintu

So, the Bihu we more known is Rongoli Bihu, very good update,

and very beautiful pictures, Nice update, The girls in costume looks beautiful.

Regards

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Though belated, a Happy New Year to you.

My daughter's in laws are from Jorhat!

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Though belated, a Happy New Year to you.

My daughter's in laws are from Jorhat!
From Jorhat!! really nice to know that and my pleasure to know that you have a Jorhat connection. Belated Happy New Year to you to Sir.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Happy new year to all friends.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
My best wishes with all of you chaps, no matter which of these festivals you are celebrating...

Pintu

Happy New Year to all of you !

Happy 1416.

Regards

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles