'Will swap land with Dhaka, halt illegal immigrants'

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that his government would go ahead with a land transfer deal with Bangladesh keeping illegal influx and Assam's long-term security interests in mind.

Bangladesh stands to gain some 10,000 acres of land through this deal the UPA government had initiated in 2011 and placed as a bill for ratification in Rajya Sabha in December last year. The BJP in Assam had opposed this deal, as did the Trinamool Congress in West Bengal.

Addressing party workers in Guwahati on Sunday, Modi said, "The land swap deal will be beneficial. It might seem to be an immediate loss for Assam, but it will serve security interests in the long term and help solve the problem of Bangladeshi migrants."

Infiltration from Bangladesh is a major issue in the Northeast. It is viewed as a demographic invasion designed to out-populate scores of indigenous communities in the region.

The Prime Minister said there would be no compromise with the security of the strategic Northeast. "The forces trying to destabilise Assam and the Northeast should know that Delhi has a new government and the law will not spare them now," he said.

Insisting that the BJP brand of politics was not based on casteism, communalism or regionalism, Modi said his party believes in nationalism. "Our mantra of inclusive development has compelled all political parties to rework their agendas," he said, adding that his government has special plans for the Northeast.

'Will swap land with Dhaka, halt illegal immigrants' - Hindustan Times

Sylex21

No the land swap deal will have very little impact on illegal immigration directly. It will however help secure the boarders and that will have some minimal impact.

Anyone who has any doubt about this deal should study the India-Bangladesh enclaves issue. Life is absolutely hellish for all the people living there, as they are person's without a state and suffer from a lack of social services, law enforcement and have rampant crime. Wish the prim minister all the best in implementing this as soon as possible, these people have all suffered for far too long as it is.

Curious why the land swap amounts couldn't be move even from both sides. I assume it has something to do with the layout of the land, but if anyone is more familiar with that part of the issue, I'd love to hear more about why Bangladesh can't give 10,000 acres of some other land to even it out more.

sgarg

It is important to make border administration easier for both countries. Incidents at Bangla border are a headache for both countries.

India's long term goal should be to bring Bangladesh firmly within India's economic structures. Giving away 10000 acres is not a big deal.

Use of Chittagong port and land transit are bigger issues.

There are so many Bangladeshi in Delhi and Gurgaon working low paying jobs. I encounter Bangladeshi regularly. These men do not know English (come from Urdu medium schools).

Borders are not very effective in stopping people when people are desperate.

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Land swap is first of many steps. It will just smoothen out our border, and remove enclaves and exclaves on either side. Next up will be a proper border fence like the one lining Indo-Pak IB.

pmaitra

As per OP:

India to Bangladesh:
17160.63 acres​
Bangladesh to India:
7110.20 acres​
India's loss:
10050.43 acres​

Excellent idea, Modi!

NOT!

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
No the land swap deal will have very little impact on illegal immigration directly. It will however help secure the boarders and that will have some minimal impact.

Anyone who has any doubt about this deal should study the India-Bangladesh enclaves issue. Life is absolutely hellish for all the people living there, as they are person's without a state and suffer from a lack of social services, law enforcement and have rampant crime. Wish the prim minister all the best in implementing this as soon as possible, these people have all suffered for far too long as it is.

Curious why the land swap amounts couldn't be move even from both sides. I assume it has something to do with the layout of the land, but if anyone is more familiar with that part of the issue, I'd love to hear more about why Bangladesh can't give 10,000 acres of some other land to even it out more.
What I understand from the OP article is:

1.) This agreement supposedly helps curb demographic-changing illegal immigration. If true, this itself is a greater benefit than 10k acres, i.e. 40 sq.km.
2.) Also this agreement along with the Water Sharing agreement helps India access the Chittagong port.

These seem to me, like they are advantages for India.

Additionally the lives of people living in these enclaves are a nightmare. This agreement should imho solve that issue.

What I'm wondering is what has changed in this agreement, which made BJP change its mind.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Not taking into account the loss of land, the idea that there will be a continuous border and no enclaves does appear suitable for Border Management.\

The riverine border, mostly in Dhubri district of Assam and southern West Bengal, presents peculiar problems, as it is difficult to locate permanent Border Outposts (BOPs) in the area due to swelling of the Brahmaputra and other rivers that increases the depth of the river by about 30 feet. The 'char' areas thrown up during the dry season and which people inhabit, are almost completely submerged. Patrolling in such areas is problematic. The nature of the border configuration affords an easy opportunity to the infiltrators and smugglers to cross over to India. The crossing is further facilitated because the border is thickly populated.

The problem of enclaves, adverse possession and disputed land is prevalent on the Indo-Bangladesh border. Enclaves become convenient points for smuggling, avoiding customs and excise duties, importing of contraband, and are a point of entry for illegal aliens. There are 111 Indian enclaves (17,158 acres) in Bangladesh and 51 Bangladesh enclaves (7,110.02 acres) in India. Historically, enclaves date back to the period of the expansion of the Mughal Empire into northern Bengal in the late seventeenth century and continued till the British established control of the state. The southern frontier of the West Bengal border is much more vulnerable, and so the number crossing is larger. Several areas of Kolkata have already been saturated with Bangladeshi nationals. West Bengal and Assam are being increasingly used by Bangladeshi nationals to spread to other parts of India.

Details from my archive.

brational

Country flag
Found in FB, Post by Pradyut Bora-

MODIJI'S BIGGEST FAVOUR TO ASSAM

By announcing that we would settle the boundary dispute with Bangladesh once and for all, even if it means exchange of land, Modiji has done the biggest favour to Assam. Let me explain, and please do not jump to conclusion before reading the entire post.

1. Look at this picture below. This is a map of an Indian enclave, within a Bangladeshi enclave, within an Indian enclave, within Bangladesh. And there are hundreds of examples like this. Even if you or I become the Prime Minister, do we think we can provide governance in places like these? Can BSF provide security?

So what is the way out? And here I am asking for your common sense, not knowledge of constitutional law. I am sure you would say that common sense dictates that we exchange land, and straighten the boundary. This is what Modiji is suggesting. Only when the boundary is straightened can BSF be made accountable for providing security.

2. Secondly, think of the people living inside the enclaves. I have visited several such Indian enclaves that are situated outside our security fence, and let me tell you that BSF shuts the gates at sundown. Moreover these enclaves do not have electricity, telephones, schools or hospitals.

Now imagine someone having a medical emergency at the dead of night. He or she has no option but to wait till sunrise. They cannot cross the enclave and go to a Bangladeshi hospital (even though Bangladesh does not have a fence) as they are Indian citizens, and they cannot come to India as BSF would not allow anybody in the darkness. Please understand: these people are Indian citizens, and access to "India" is not available to them for half the time. Is that fair?

What if you or I were born in such an enclave? What would we be have said? We would most probably have said that get us to the mainland or kick us out, but please do not keep us hanging between both countries like this.

3. How much land are we really "losing"? The Indian Express today explained the intricacies of the land swap (http://indianexpress.com/"¦/i"¦/explained-land-swap-in-offing/). Please read it, it is very informative.

But while we consider how much land we stand to "lose" due to the Land Boundary Agreement (LBA) with Bangladesh, do you know how much land Assam has lost to erosion by the Brahmaputra? It is thousands of acres vs thousands of square kilometers. Since 1950, Assam has lost over 2500 sq km of land to the Brahmaputra, and yet nobody talks about it. And by the way, this is bigger than the size of Delhi state (1500 sq km).

4. The last point I wish to draw your attention to is our image in this world. Today 60 years of our foreign policy--mostly under the Congress--have given us a lot of dissatisfied neighbours. Today Nepal hates us, Bangladesh hates us, Myanmar hates us, Sri Lanka hates us.

Our border with Pakistan is disputed, our border with Bangaldesh is disputed, our border with China is disputed. So how long can we carry on this way? Isn't it time we settle our border disputes once and for all, and get down to the business of leading our own lives in peace?

If we in India consider ourselves the "big brother", we should learn to be compassionate and indulgent to our smaller neighbours. I would argue: what is a couple of thousand acres if we settle the boundary with Bangladesh once and for all? If after doing that, we are in a stronger position to negotiate overland access rights for the Northeast to Kolkata, won't we emerge better off? If we can get inland navigation going (Guwahati to Kolkata) on the Brahmaputra and Padma, won't we benefit?

Now you might be wondering why has BJP Assam got into this thick soup, and having the media accuse it to doing a "u-turn", of betraying the promises made during the election campaign.

As a former office-bearer I can tell you that it is because we do not have the culture of internal debate. AASU took a stand on the "land transfer" issue, and we picked it up in toto. Akhil Gogoi took a stand on the "big dam" issue and we parroted his arguments fully. We opted for populism over prudence. This intellectual bankruptcy has harmed us and would cost us dearly in the coming days. Just wait till the Subansari dam construction takes off again!

We should understand that national policy is based on logic and what is considered "national interest", not shallow emotions or half-baked scholarship. For Assam's "internal security" we need good relations with Bangladesh. And therefore it is in our national interest to have a settled border with all our neighbours.

It would be very tempting to combine arguments for/against the land transfer with the issue of Bangladeshi illegal migrants. Many of you would say: if you are giving land to Bangladesh, given them back the illegal migrants as well. Please desist from taking this line of thought. These are two separate issues, and need to be dealt with separately. The solution to border management is settled borders. The solution to illegal migration is NRC.

The NRC has to be completed and I am sure the Government would announce something on this soon. But for the moment, the Land Boundary Agreement is the best thing Modiji has done for Assam.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Good. Land swap should have been done long ago. I hope the terrorist party TMC does not try to sabotage this noble task. Anything can be expected of the Banshee and the raving lunatic quizmaster.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
As per OP:

India to Bangladesh:
17160.63 acres​
Bangladesh to India:
7110.20 acres​
India's loss:
10050.43 acres​

Excellent idea, Modi!

NOT!
Land swap is decided on land value, rather than land area. We're probably ironing out our border by taking in valuable land.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
My vote is in favour of land swapping. This thread has enough info for making a call.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles