Will Pakistan Survive- Tarek Fatah- Bilatakalluf with Tahir Gor

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I think it's got more to do with a situation where Pakistan continues to continuously find itself in a hopeless situation, and anyone who can provide that glimmer of hope, they will cling on to that. If you look at it, what is IK giving to Pakistan? A little hope. Rhetorically he is striking the right cord, of what the average guy in Pakistan wishes to listen to, though he doesn't have much of a track record to show off for his credentials.

It's a desperate situation really for these guys, and has been pretty much so at least since '71, well since '47 in a way.
To let a person down is one thing.
To let down an extremely desperate and critically striving person is like .. well to put it gently - they'll come after the man to tear his guts apart
For his sake, I hope IK knows what he is doing.

tramp

4. ANP losing out in K-P will be a big blow to Pakistan. already selectively senior leaders of ANP and their families are being targeted by the Taliban.
Pakistan losing this KP to Taliban, which will soon happen after Kabul falls, will be the ultimate gift to ISI for its services rendered in Afghanistan!! In any case, Islamabad does not have much control of the tribal areas which is why it is not bothered about the drone attacks.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
To let a person down is one thing.
To let down an extremely desperate and critically striving person is like .. well to put it gently - they'll come after the man to tear his guts apart
For his sake, I hope IK knows what he is doing.
I think we can already see the hopelessness written on their face from the survey which suggests that majority in Pakistan today don't want either democracy or dictatorship, but Sharia. It is, as I said, the rather limited middle class which has it's hopes on IK. If we go by the voting treads in Pakistan in the past general elections, then hardly anyone goes to vote, as most see democracy as unislamic and inefficient.

Ik may fail, and the way the PA is moulded, it is unlikely they would wish to see a strong civilian leader, so his party, the PTI, making a clean sweep is unlikely and just by chance it does, it will be another unlikely that IK will be allowed his ways.

More than track record he will have to rely on a perception that he has delivered, but if he fails, then the guy on the street would definitely be shouting Sharia. IK, if he doesn't come too much in the way of the PA, would have escaped unscratched.

tramp

It's a desperate situation really for these guys, and has been pretty much so at least since '71, well since '47 in a way.

If we go back in history, when ZAB phenomenon happened, it was again largely based of rhetoric, and that little glimmer of hope, so was it with Zia, followed by Benazir, and Nawaz to be followed by Musharraf, and now, at least for the rather limited middle class of Pakistan, IK.
Their failure, despite the initial upwelling of popular support they could create, was because they were appealing to the baser side of the patriotic sentiment... enmity to India. It is like riding a tiger. Once you mount it there is little you can do to dismount. Unless the leader is farsighted enough to foresee a jump off point from where to take the country in the path of real development which really matters in sustaining popularity. Because there is only that far anybody can continue to ride the tiger without getting eaten. All of them, if one studies their tenures closely, systematically undermined the country's institutions accelerating the downward spiral.
@topic, I find Tarek Fatah a little characterised like a fanboy, I have followed him in more discussions, and when one starts to probe him further, he comes across as someone who has not thought his arguments well enough, someone like a Najam Sethi comes across a lot more convincing who can present two sides of an argument.
Yes Najam Sethi does speak his mind. Another Dawn columnist I like is Irfan Hussain. Also Cyril Almeida.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
And what is this habit of Pak rulers fleeing and then wanting to return?
There was Sharif, then Bhutto came and now Mushy. Failed to understand it.
There is no political vaccum in Pakistan, it is a black hole.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Their failure, despite the initial upwelling of popular support they could create, was because they were appealing to the baser side of the patriotic sentiment... enmity to India. It is like riding a tiger. Once you mount it there is little you can do to dismount. Unless the leader is farsighted enough to foresee a jump off point from where to take the country in the path of real development which really matters in sustaining popularity. Because there is only that far anybody can continue to ride the tiger without getting eaten. All of them, if one studies their tenures closely, systematically undermined the country's institutions accelerating the downward spiral.
There was always a case of limited elites trying to take the control of the country starting with the migrants from India with deep pockets, who largely formed the bureaucracy and the business community, if we dig this a little further, the 20 business families and their off-shoots who had a strangle hold over the economy, to later on the army elite, which when tasted power, wanted to be a part of it, to now a stage where they are pretty much the center of the power structure, and in the political domain, either jagirdars not letting the leash go to a case of personality worship, which then became a cult figure for some and when this supposed cult figure failed them, then a hated figure by most as has happened with pretty much everyone who has governed this country in the last 40 odd years.

In this elitist power struggle, and the hollowness in the leadership, they never let the institutions take sahpe for that would have brought about accountability and objectivity and so the fake Persian identities had to be created, distorted history was to take precedence, Hindu bashing, to anti India rhetoric had to be pushed, the fairy tales of 1 Islamic warrior of the PA can take on 10 infidels of the IA, and more such narations so as to galvanize the mass support. All deviative tactics at play, and expected in a way, I think. When one does not have much to offer, beating about the bush seems the best policy, so the question of dismounting the tiger never rose.

Even if the case of IK gets taken, it does look more a case of fanfare turned to personality worship, he is who will rid them of all the ills, the miracle man.

Pakistan is yet to understand the true meaning of democracy per se, but Pakistanis do get considered as the most emotional people of the sub continent, so it should reflect in their judgement as well.

Yes Najam Sethi does speak his mind. Another Dawn columnist I like is Irfan Hussain. Also Cyril Almeida.
Yes, some very objective chaps these are, and good balanced views.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles