Why video games are not developed in India?

nimo_cn

Country flag
In a country where the majority are still struggling for creature comfort, gaming is such a luxury few can afford for, which means the gaming market is not sufficient to sustain a decent video game industry. So economy is the foundation, after a solid foundation is built, everything else will be just in its place.

Rahul92

In a country where the majority are still struggling for creature comfort, gaming is such a luxury few can afford for, which means the gaming market is not sufficient to sustain a decent video game industry. So economy is the foundation, after a solid foundation is built, everything else will be just in its place.
Buhaha i think u are not upto date INDIA is ranked third in downloading games after USA & UK India offers a great platforms to games . It may be luxury a for u in your country But for us here its just a small comfort which is very easily affordable

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Buhaha i think u are not upto date INDIA is ranked third in downloading games after USA & UK India offers a great platforms to games . It may be luxury a for u in your country But for us here its just a small comfort which is very easily affordable
You just contradicted yourself. If it was "very easily affordable" then India wouldn't rank that high in "downloading games" (piracy). Well, yes, legal copies of games are priced very low, but even then the market is very small. Some kid downloads Crysis thinking his Pentium 4 PC from 2004 will be able to run it. Only to discover it won't. And so on.

Nimo is right to a large extant, most Indians are struggling for creature comforts. But even if 10~15% of the population (still a minority) can afford gaming (that is, buying a console or a gaming PC and buying genuine copies of the game), then we're looking at 100~150 million people, now that's still a huge market. But that's not yet the case, hence there are no "indian games".

gogbot

The Video Game industry requires an Audience.
It's primary demographic is between age groups 18-34.

India does not have enough of these Gamers to justify the industry , at least at the major investment levels we are talking about.
The only other way India investors can make money is to make world class games , on major platforms like PS3 , Xbox 360 or Wii and also the PC(with Proper Copy protection Distributed through Steam).
That required Millions of dollars in investment , and that's not going to happen . Unless Investors get guarantee's .

Indian companies in general have yet to focus on the Home entertainment market.
That's because the Number of Indian's are willing to fork out the cash for Home entertainment is still small.
As that section of Middle income earner grows
The Demographic of Indian's who play games(and buy them) grows.
This can easily be determined through Video game sales , which is abysmal currently.

The lack of a tech nerd culture in India does not help matters , Instead there are millions of study nerds , who's parents barely let them watch any TV let alone play Video games.
Video games in India is still a sub-culture , that is often even frowned upon.

Computers and video games , only became personal in India only 15 years ago. That too only for a minority of the population. Those kids who play Video still have not grown up , to become spending adults.
Who are willing to spend some of their money on a new machine , to Buy a new expensive PC . And then buy new games.
Right not the market for VG's in India does not exist , just look at this abysmal Xbox 360 ad

Who the hell are they even targeting.

Ps3 does bit better . but it did not perform any better in the sales department

See , since most Indian's don't but these consoles , And Don't spend money on High end Gaming machines as well as Software. Major companies who don't need the investment don't see a market. So they won't even develop the software let alone the hardware.

If you wasn't to see how Video game Industry develops take a look at japan and how Video game industry came about over there. Video games was an American phenomenon till the Japanese and then the Europeans got involved. But Japan is case where it was very much Domestic conditions that created the industry that latter expanded overseas.

There have been what i can call Proto attempts at Video games:

It's not a good game , but hey it was a good concept for a video game , implemented properly it could have been good.

Apart for the lack of market, the fact that India does not have a strong Programming R&D and Hardware R&D center's also are a hindrance.
We don't have companies that make software and roll out with continuous updates.
Motherboards , GPU"s or CPU not manufactured or designed in India.

Indian IT sector needs to find incentives in expanding it's scope of operations.

Last edited by a moderator:

SixSigma1978

I dont know whether u people know about outsourcing of video games/cartoons . A famous french cartoon s 50% production is done in INDIA by DQ company and now days trend is being changed the pre production or post production is done in INDIA due to less cost of production . Even in recession animators draw 70k to 90k with 4-7 yrs exp
Interesting. Do you have a link or a URL?

neo29

We still like to build something, unlike China who likes to copy eveything. Not to mention you are the biggest exporter of pirated cds. In a way we Indians must thank you for making games and cds available on net for free and sometimes cheap through copied cds.

roach

The video game industry in India is being born as we speak (or write, rather).

To make a game, one needs three kinds of creative people.

1. Designers: They create the concept of the game, it's story, the mechanics (rules), the theme.
2. Artists: They create the art assets (characters, environments, concept art, publicity material) in 2d and 3d as required.
3. Programmers: They build the game. They write the code which makes your character jump, fire a weapon, flick a switch.

The problem is that the Artists and Programmers that work in the game industry operate under very different constraints than the 3D films industry or the software industry. Poly counts (the number of polygons that make up an asset) is a big issue, and similarly writing code for a game is completely a different kettle of fish from writing code for, say, a airline ticketing portal. The western hemisphere has a very advanced game industry (it's been around for 20 odd years) with experienced professionals. It's like building the LCA- we are having to build the aerospace industry from scratch.

Another problem is that the game industry is not very lucrative right now. Salaries are considerably lesser than conventional software companies, so you have to really have faith to work in the game industry in India right now. Also, very few designers in India have the exposure and vision to make world-class games.

I live in Hyderabad and work as a Game Designer with Gameloft, a french company. I learned Game design from VFS in Vancouver and worked in a studio in Vancouver before coming back to India. It is an exciting time to be in India, as interest is picking up. I promise you that in the near future, our country will be on the world video game development map.

dove

As far as software development expertise is concerned, india is quite high on the maturity curve. What holds us back from making cutting edge software products in any area is economics not technical expertise. If enough funds are available I can set up a company and churn out fantastic games fairly quickly. I'm not putting down the complexity of gaming systems, but simply pointing out that it is possible to hire really high-end programming skills in india in quite large numbers.

So if any such question arises as to why 'xyz' software is not built in india - look at the cash flow.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Simply put, the environment in India isn't suitable for a strong domestic market. With tolerable weather and a passion for cricket, hockey, football etc, there is very little reason why Indian kids would prefer computer and videogames over playing outside. It can be a temporary entertainment for the affluent class but in broader terms, videogames are an item for bitter cold European countries or blazing hot Arab countries where playing outside can be as costly as losing one's life in a heat stroke or hypothermia

Maybe we can be an outsourcing market for big game developers like Shanghai is and become the second game manufacturing hub, but the domestic potential is very low and not very desired. USA is a different thing; their middle class can afford a lot more than our average middle class. So no comparisons.

Shredder

Country flag
Has anyone played a Hanuman game on the PS2? It was developed by an Indian firm and published by Sony, the game is just terrible, it looks more like a PS1 game than a PS2 one, part of the problem is when developing games for consoles like the PS2, extremely precise and accurate coding is required which requires a lot of experience which I must say lacks in India as the game developers here are "amateurs".

dove

what is 'extremely accurate and precise coding' ? Have you seen a single line of code in your life ? Please don't make obnoxious statements about things you have absolutely no clue about. I advise - stick to playing the games and leave real life to adults.

Rebelkid

Its possible to make games, and making good graphics of a game is completely possible as we have the manpower, but the only thing we need is to create a good game Engine which is extremely difficult job, given enough time and support its possible.. We can't make games like Crysis from the very start...

Rendev

Its possible to make games, and making good graphics of a game is completely possible as we have the manpower, but the only thing we need is to create a good game Engine which is extremely difficult job, given enough time and support its possible.. We can't make games like Crysis from the very start...
The wait is over. The company DYNAMICEFFECTS is releasing the FIRST Free to play Online FPS game in India this year. Its a Free to Play online FPS. I was searching in Google to know that if any Game has been developed by India in FPS Online Genre and came to see this forum. But i think no one has developed. Anyways, here is the Game website enagethegame.com, facebook.com/engagegame, company developing: dynamiceffects.net

Spindrift

Because we do not have good designers and artistes. We are not that creative when it comes to creating concepts.. go and check out the videos here God of War: Ascension and you'll see what i mean

p2prada

Because we do not have good designers and artistes. We are not that creative when it comes to creating concepts.. go and check out the videos here God of War: Ascension and you'll see what i mean
That's cute.

Anyway,

Animation in India–Huge potential -
Paprikaas has recently concluded working in tandem with the Technicolor Interactive team on the in game cinematic for "God of War II" AAA Video game title for Sony Computer Entertainment, USA.
Work | Prime Focus

Movies that an Indian company has worked on. Primarily post production and 3D conversion.

About Us | Prime Focus

When George Lucas decided to re-release 'Star Wars: Episode One – The Phantom Menace' in 3D, he turned to Prime Focus World, and the company has also brought its 3D conversion expertise to many other top-tier Hollywood movies including 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2', 'Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader', 'Shrek', 'Green Lantern', 'Immortals' and 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon'.

In addition to its 3D conversion, Prime Focus offers a full slate of world-class VFX services through its various facilities, from some of the most creative and experienced talent in the world. Prime Focus has created breathtaking visual effects for the Academy Award winning film 'Avatar'; for the blockbuster 'Harry Potter', 'Twilight Saga' and 'X-Men' franchises; and for global releases including 'Tron: Legacy', 'The A-Team', 'Sucker Punch', 'Unknown' and the 2011 Palme d'Or winning 'Tree of Life'.
Wake up and smell the roses, buddy. All of this was mostly done in Mumbai.

This company has major competitors too.
Prime Focus Competitors - Compare Prime Focus Ltd with Competitors
Scroll down to the competitors list.

So you were saying...?

Spindrift

p2prada said:
Wake up and smell the roses, buddy. All of this was mostly done in Mumbai.

This company has major competitors too.
Prime Focus Competitors - Compare Prime Focus Ltd with Competitors
Scroll down to the competitors list.

So you were saying...?
I am not talking about the technology part i.e. creating animations, 3D conversion, etc.. i know we can do it.. and do it really well...
What I was talking about the soul of the game i.e. the artwork, storyboard, story, gameplay, characters, the conceptualization of the game, etc

i believe the last time try tried a hand on this i.e. the soul of the game they came up with this http://in.playstation.com/ps3/games/detail/item390729/RA-ONE-The-Game/ :DD

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Yeah, it's better than those crappy Chini games.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles