Why is a newcomer called Sepoy?

RebateKing

This term is new to me, so I checked it out on wikipedia. To my surprise, it is a designation given to an Indian soldier in the service of a European power. Wouldn't such a person be considered a collaborator? It seems there is another word Jawan that's much better suited. No offense intended, just curious.

peace

p2prada

Sepoy was derived from the word Sipahi. Sipahi means soldier. The British used to call the soldiers Sepoys due to the language barrier and it stayed.

Presently the first rank of a Soldier is called a Sepoy in the Indian Army, the same as it was in the British Indian Army. It's American equivalent is Private.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Everyman in uniform is called a Jawan these days.

And even the Policemen in Insurgency areas are called 'soldiers' these days.

But, so far, the Sepoy remains to be used for the Army.

Who knows that that will also become applicable to all!

Then one would not who is who!

Therefore, common words, can cause confusion.

For example:

It is like the confusion created over the Special Powers Act after the shootings on the stone pelter separatists. Everyone gunned for the Army since reports in the media was always about SF and soldiers or jawans doing this or that.

So all thought it was the Army! Including our worthy politicians who went berserk with political innuendos and lack of knowledge and yet wanted to appear intelligent and seized with the situation.

The interesting point was that there was no Army deployed against the stone pelters!!

Misuse of words created confusion. Hence, in my opinion, if I may say, no matter how attractive such words are to define the brave, be they the military or the police, unless there is a distinction, it sows ground for confusion and error in judgement.

Now, everyone wears the IA camouflage uniform. Therefore, when some action is taken, all feel that the Army is at it!!

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles